Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Prelude
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
smprelude
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic?

I am new to the forum, and don't know much about cars but I try to be a conscious prelude owner, and take care of my vehicle. I'd love to fix it up but for now, I'm just trying to keep it in tip top condition until I can pour some cash into the thing. My question is this: What kind of brake pad should I put on my 97 prelude, for normal driving conditions? I've got Honda Dealerships telling me only semi-metallic. I've got brake companies and websites telling me Ceramic, and that it even came with ceramic on it originally! I'm so confused. I'm afraid to put ceramic for fear that it'll be as noisy as Honda Dealers are telling me. Yet, I see online that ceramic's are quieter and has a lack of visible dust. Please someone just give me a hint as to what I should do for a GOOD all around Prelude brake pad!
smprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
ilikehonda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (smprelude)

here is the deal with brake pads....
organic pads have no metal flake and there for do not disperse the heat through the pad like a semi or metalic pad. organic pads will stop u just as well as a metallic. the theory behind the metallic is that the metal shavings in the pad would disperse the heat through the pad preventing the rotar from warping or heat cracking. however its been shown that metallic pads actually hold heat instead of disperse it. so there for the organic pads disperse the heat better than the metalic. organic pads wont last as long but they are cheaper. however if you want the longer time frame go with metallic. In you situation being a daily driver it is all up to you. either will work.
Click the image to open in full size.
the ceramic pad you are reffering to is a performance and does not need to be put on a daily driver unless you are doing some autox or something that requires hard brakeing often. save your money and hit up the semi-mettalic or even an organic...ill bet that they dont make the organic brake pads for your car.

if im wrong please someone correct me.

Modified by ilikehonda at 4:02 PM 11/29/2005
Old 11-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
ludesrv
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (ilikehonda)

Bravo. It's hard to explain to people the difference, but you got it bang on.

Ceramics don't make any noise either, an added bonus.
ludesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
The_Sober
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (ludesrv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikehonda
here is the deal with brake pads....
ceramic pads have no metal flake and there for do not disperse the heat through the pad like a semi or metalic pad. ceramic pads will stop u just as well as a metallic. the theory behind the metallic is that the metal shavings in the pad would disperse the heat through the pad preventing the rotar from warping or heat crackin. however its been shown that metallic pads actually hold heat instead of disperse it. so there for the ceramic pads disperse the heat better than the metalic. Ceramic pads wont last as long but they are cheaper. so if you have the knowlede of changing the pads i say go for the ceramic. however if you want the longer time frame go with metallic. In you situation being a daily driver it is all up to you. either will work.

so save money and have to change the pads sooner with the ceramic or spend a little more and enjoy the longevity of the semi metalic

if im wrong please someone correct me.
You're close. Brake pads with metal flakes in them (they're called sintered pads) will stop you better thn non-metallic pads. Not so much braking distance, but rather the amount of force required to create the necessary amount of friction to slow you down. The problem with sintered pads is that they tend to wear the rotors faster. Ceramic is nice, and they'll give you great braking, but in my experience, they won't give you the same amount of feedback as a semi-metallic pad. They also won't give you that initial "bite" that you get when using Semis. And they'll wear faster. And they're more expensive.

Unless you're racing (and I don't mean drag Click the image to open in full size. ), don't bother with ceramic.

What is kilometer magazine?
The_Sober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
ilikehonda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (The_Sober)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludesrv
Bravo. It's hard to explain to people the difference, but you got it bang on.

Ceramics don't make any noise either, an added bonus.
the pads that you are referring to are not the same that I am. sintered pads are a metal pad. semi metallic pads are basicily a organic pad with metal flake. ceramic pads are the newest thing. I am going to correct my self as well as my post. Organic pads are cheaper and dont last as long. while semi metallic pads are more expensive and last longer. ceramic pads are a performance pad. so for daily driving i would use just semi- metallic. i actuall use organic pads on mine and are happy with them. i was switching the two earlier.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
InvaderTrax
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to InvaderTrax

Semi metallic all the way. Also, another downside to ceramic pads is although they don't ware as fast, they'll eat up your rotors
InvaderTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
redlude503
Garage is empty, add now

Is it true that ceramic pads need to be warmed up before they reach their optimal effectiveness? So for a daily driver wouldnt be a good choice because you hardly ever heat up your pads much?
redlude503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:00 AM   #8
ludesrv
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (redlude503)

^^^ Speak for yourself.

My civic has Ceramic Pads (Hawks) on KVR cross drilled rotors. I beat the **** out of that car and the brakes are awesome. With that combo I put 50000kms before I had to replace my rotors, and I brake hard, everywhere all the time (yes, even in the winter). The pads are now at 65000kms on them and they are still at a good 40% left. Maybe I'm not super hard on them...but they do last a long time. Stock rotors should use stock pads tho, leave at that.
ludesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
imadigitalgod
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (ludesrv)

Quote:
Stock rotors should use stock pads tho, leave at that.
should u really just stick with honda pads with factory rotors? I am changing the brakes on my 100% stock civic. i was deciding on what to get, either the semi-metalic brakes or the ceramic ones. im also goin to getmy factory rotors turned as well. also, what type of pad are the OEM pads?
imadigitalgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 AM   #10
93civic_sedan
Garage is empty, add now

I have ceramic pads on my hatch with Brembo blanks. It is technically my daily driver but I have been driving my girlfriends car recently. The ceramis pads are nice, I think my setup is pretty nice Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:05 AM   #11
AZprelude
Garage is empty, add now

ceramic rock
AZprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
maks
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
^^^ Speak for yourself.
That's because the civic is the fastest car in the world yO!

Haha, actually, a Civic was beating on a Viper at Shannonville this weekend (only in the rain + qualifiers though... for the actual race on dry pavement, Viper kicked butt)

I find that semi metallic pads do a great job for general purpose use. Not all pads are created equal... If you ask at a store... you'll also find out that there are ones which dust less than others.
maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #13
imadigitalgod
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (maks)

when i was having my rotors turned at Oreilly Auto Parts(only $7 a piece to have them turned, way cheaper than just buying new ones Click the image to open in full size. ) i rode my bike down to NAPA(didnt watto drive my car, lol) and saw what pads they have. I got their top of the line premium Ceramix pads for my car. i have to put the other side on later on today. ill see how it goes
Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
hu
Garage is empty, add now

Ceramic all the way.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #15
imadigitalgod
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (hu)

has anyone used the Ceramix fron NAPA?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Alicia Willfang
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadigitalgod View Post
Quote:
Stock rotors should use stock pads tho, leave at that.
should u really just stick with honda pads with factory rotors? I am changing the brakes on my 100% stock civic. i was deciding on what to get, either the semi-metalic brakes or the ceramic ones. im also goin to getmy factory rotors turned as well. also, what type of pad are the OEM pads?
OEM Honda pads are semi metallic ^^
Alicia Willfang is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
brake, brakes, ceramic, civic, forum, honda, hondatech, longevity, metallic, mettalic, oem, organic, pads, semi, semimetallic, vs