Print Wikipost

Power Steeriong Leak Reservoir Foam

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steeriong Leak Reservoir Foam

Alrighty,
About 2 weeks ago, I changed the oil pan gasket. That was helpful in clotting a majority of the oil leaking out of my engine.

I noticed some dampness around a line connected to the steering assembly (hydraulic cylinder-like thing between the front wheels and connected to the steering wheel). The line was on the passenger's side of the steering assembly (if that's what it's called.) Any ideas on which line this might be?

Yesterday morning, I went out and started my car and allowed it to idle for a few minutes to help clear the icy windows. Then, While I was driving, I occasionally heard what I can only describe as sounding like a sick, moaning dog when I went around a few bends at about 25-35 mph. Turning lock to lock when parked didn't seem to induce the sound though. Also, I didn't really notice any difference with the "feel" of the power steering. However, when I got home, I noticed a nice puddle of power steering fluid in front of the Left Front wheel where it had been parked earlier. I popped the hood to find power steering fluid all over the top of the reservoir and below it. The cap was still on, but was definitely greasy.

This morning, I went out and checked the fluid, which was a little above full. I started the car and turned it lock to lock several times (at least 5 times each way) and couldn't find the leak. Then, when I shut the car off (I was quite puzzled at this point), it started to "foam" and leak around the cap on the reservoir. I took some pics for you to look at and see what I mean. The tank filled with foam and was essentially overflowing.

Here's my guess, the pump is sucking air from a return line in the power steering system and making this foam causing the reservoir to foam and then overflow. Any good outside-the-box thinkers have any better ideas? How difficult is it to chance the line(s)?
Attached Images     
Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a small filter screen (there he goes about filter screens again) on the bottom of the power steering tank. This keeps any contaminates from circulating into the power steering pump causing damage.
When this becomes restricted it can cause the pump to cavitate, airating the fluid and giving off that moan .....
This isn't serviced seperately, but it can be cleaned by removing the tank and backflushing.

P
Old 11-30-2008, 02:58 AM

I had a foaming PS problem a while back also. I tracked it down to the shaft seal behind the pulley on the PS pump. You might want to check the hose connections on the pump as well. There are o-rings in those fittings once you unbolt them.
Let us know what you find.
BTW, did you happen to tighten any of your belts recently? A PS belt that is too tight may cause the seal to leak on an older pump.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YES, clean up the entire system and look for other leaks, there may be air being sucked into the system, all suggestions are pattern failure items.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Hooray!

Ok, here goes...

P_Adams: THANKS!!! I had read a few other threads where you had suggested cleaning that filter, but wasn't sure about it on my car. Sure enough, we removed the reservoir and it took quite some time for the fluid in the can to slowly trickle out of the bottom tube...
We tried cleaning by blowing air up through, but that didn't seem to do anything. Upon the recommendation of a friend, we rinsed it several times with a little kerosene. After the third rinse, woosh! The filter seemed to be free flowing again. We let the kerosene drip out for quite awhile after a 4th rinse and then blew it out with compressed air pretty well.
Reinstalled in the car, it seems to be doing much better and didn't overflow the reservoir after a short test drive (basically a repeat of the drive when it first happened). There's still some foam, but my guess is that it's still flushing the foam out of the lines.
Thanks again, and before curiosity kills me, are you an Honda Mechanic P_Adams? With all your wisdom, especially on something I'd have never thought of like this, you've really got me wondering.

91EX4dr: Although the filter seems to have been the main culprit this time, it looked like there is the beginnings of a leak around the shaft seal. My dad and I decided we'd postpone that part of the project for 2 weeks until I'm home from college on Christmas break. The seal looks to be pretty cheap, so I don't have a problem throwing a few bucks at it since I plan on driving this car for a few more years (I'm only at 106,000 miles right now)

Duane_in_Japan: As I mentioned above, I'll do the full inspection in about 2 weeks when I have a whole month to sit and tinker with the car in the garage. At that point we'll go all over it and check o-rings in the lines, pump seals and the lines themselves, replacing as necessary.

If it wasn't for this forum, I might be tempted to ditch this car for a newer Honda. But these simple fixes keep me loving my CB7 Accord. My dad sends his thanks to you all as well. Some of the simple things like the IAC cleaning and FITV adjustment have helped his Accord out as well. (He's got a 1991 Accord LX, F22a1 Auto with 201,000 miles - still running strong of course)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a lot of talented contributors in here. I just try to do my part, and in this case it worked out. I'm glad I was able to steer you in the right direction.

P
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very true, there are many helpful contributors here.

Regardless, thank you all for your help.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default I think it's finally fixed!

"I think I finally fixed it"...If I've learned anything so far, this won't be the end...but hopefully at least until it gets a little warmer out

To sort of wrap up this thread, Here's what worked in the end for me.

1) The screen, as P_Adams suggested, was very much in need of cleaning. Personally, I removed the reservoir, drained the fluid and rinsed several times with Kerosene until it ran mostly clear. It too a few tries to unclog the filter. In between rinses, I blew compressed air back through the return line's port to help remove debris. After my final rinse, I blew it out with compressed air and left it to dry for a good while before reinstalling and filling it up. Another tip is that you shouldn't add with the car running, or you might add too much.Mine seems to drop from upper limit (car off) to bottom limit (car on).

2) After cleaning, most of the cavitation bark went away, but it gradually came back over the last two weeks. This time it proved to be a faulty shaft seal, which was a cheap (< $4 part) and easy fix. You can find the thread that helped me out on how to do that here:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/leaking-ps-pump-92-accord-just-replace-seal-1960518/
I took it for a nice drive down a winding road to give it a workout, check the the squeak, etc. and no problems. Also, no more bubbles or foam in my reservoir! As it says in the above thread about the shaft seal replacement, it's surprisingly quick and easy. I'd say it was about 20-30 minutes of work, but could surely could have been done in about 15 minutes if I weren't working outside in the driveway on a 25degree F day...brrr.

Again, thanks for your help!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a PM P...

I'm thinking this may be the culprit with my sluggish steering wheel along with a squeek associated with it.

I'm thinking I'll probably clean this screen filter and swap out that seal and along with new fluid hopefully knock out the issue.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
You have a PM P...

I'm thinking this may be the culprit with my sluggish steering wheel along with a squeek associated with it.

I'm thinking I'll probably clean this screen filter and swap out that seal and along with new fluid hopefully knock out the issue.
In your Mailbox sir

P
Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Steeriong Leak Reservoir Foam

Anyone has a diagram for this system showing the filter? Though my steering is doing well, but I think the fluid is way too dirty and would like to clean it before problems do occur. Though the system if it is working, does not need any service. Just keep the fluid level good. It must need cleaning or something along the line. My 1990 Accord LX has 140000 miles on it now. I sure would like to give it some kind of maintenance.
Thanks,
Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Steeriong Leak Reservoir Foam

My CB7 is currently sitting 4.5 hours away in my parents' driveway. I'd take a pic if I could to give you an idea of where the filter is.

If there isn't anything wrong, I'd say pull the reservoir, empty it, flush it out a few times, and then fill with some fresh Honda fluid. I doubt it will look much cleaner since most of the dark gunk is likely lying at the system's lowest point - your rack - and that will be cycled back into the reservoir as soon as you start the car and turn the wheels. But if you're itching for something to do (I know the feeling) I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Power Steeriong Leak Reservoir Foam

Originally Posted by joc1394
My CB7 is currently sitting 4.5 hours away in my parents' driveway. I'd take a pic if I could to give you an idea of where the filter is.

If there isn't anything wrong, I'd say pull the reservoir, empty it, flush it out a few times, and then fill with some fresh Honda fluid. I doubt it will look much cleaner since most of the dark gunk is likely lying at the system's lowest point - your rack - and that will be cycled back into the reservoir as soon as you start the car and turn the wheels. But if you're itching for something to do (I know the feeling) I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

Good Luck!
How much fluid would I need to just change it out twice?
Thanks.