See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

[FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG!

I recently purchased a set of Tokico Illumina shocks. Now these shocks were meant for a 94-01 (DC) Integra but they worked just fine on my EG, as will they on yours. Knowing very little knowledge about suspension, I decided to give it a go and try and do it myself. With the help of Luserkid (several phone calls throughout the process) I managed to do this with ease.

This is a very simple process, however I got stuck on something that I will explain later.

Tools needed to do this:

-14mm, 17mm x2, 10mm sockets.
-14mm wrench.
-Allen wrench (not sure what size).
-Breaker bar (not needed but VERY helpful).
-Jackstands.
-Jack/hydraulic lift.
-Tire iron.
-Another person (again, not needed but helpful).

We first want to pick a side of the car to start, I picked the front passenger side. Start by using your tire iron and removing the wheel from the car. You'll see your shock and spring in front of you. We want to use our 14mm socket and remove this bolt that is holding the shock in place.

Once that's off the shock should be loose. Now, as you can see that peice that holds the shock in place is in the form of a wishbone. If you look at the bottom, you will see a very large bolt, and on the other end a nut. We need to remove this. Since it as a nut, we'll need to get a 17mm socket on either end.

For me, this bolt was on there pretty tough so I used my breaker bar to break it loose. Once it was loosened I got a 17mm on both sides and took it out.

Once it's removed the wishbone should fall over the axel and not be held on by anything. Now that were done with that, we're going to want to remove the brake lines from the shock. There are 2 10mm bolts holding them in place.

Once having done that were going to want to pop your hood and locate the strut tower for the side your working on. You will see 2 nuts and a nut in the center. For right now, we're only going to want to worry about the 2 nuts for now. Remove them with with a 14mm socket.

If you've done this in the way I've instucted the strut/spring/coilover will fall so have something, or someone there to catch it. Once it's out, were going to want to look at the top of it, you'll see 2 pointy bolts and that other nut we were looking at ealier.

Use your allen wrench (again, not sure what size if you have a set of them, one of them will work), and your 14mm wrench to brake the nut loose. This is going to be accomplished by putting the allen wrench in the very top of the strut, holding it in place and braking it loose with the wrench.

Once that's done, your strut will be free. You'll want to reassemble it by putting your new one in the way it came out. Once it's in the car, it's going to be reverse assembly of how we took it out. Do the same for the other front side of the car.

Now onto the rear.. This size has fewer bolts but can be harder due to the lack of room we have to work with. We're going to want to first jack up the car and brake loose the bolt that is holding the strut onto the lower part of the car. The shock is resting on the lower control arm. Remove the bolt with a 14mm socket. Again, this bolt is on there tough, I would suggest using a breaker bar or air tools if you have them. Here is picture of me using a peice of a VACCUM extension as a breaker bar, ghetto I know but it worked.

Once that's done were going to want to pop the trunk, pull back the carpet and we'll see the strut tower. Again, use a 14mm to get these nuts off. Once you have both nuts off, and the lower LCA bolt off we need to remove the shock itself.

Now, if your shocks are blown like my OEM ones are you can compress them and pull them out. However, if they're still intact you'll either need to: A, have some step on the axel to lower it and pull it out. Or B, disconnect the hub and get it lowered that way. I chose A because it was faster.

This is the part I got hung up on. I was on the very last shock, taking off the nut that is on the strut tower, it was torqued on there REALLY good. I used my breaker bar, felt it move and then noticed it was stripped, . It took me quite a while to get this off, after sanding it down and chizzling it I finally got it off.

And here is the nut when it was all said and done:

Once the shock is out, we're going to want to do the same thing to get the shock free. With the allen wrench and the 14mm wrench. Now, to get it back in there we're going to want to compress it.

The way I did this was to rest the bottom of the shock on the LCA and press the top of the shock to the inner part of the fender well, have someone push on the hub, get it compressed some more and repeat until you can get it to where it needs to be in the strut tower. Once that is done, re-torque on the nuts. Do this for the other side.

All and all this would've taken me about 2 hours, but the nut really slowed me down.

Comments welcome as always!

Finished product..

Check out my car thread!
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1246232

Modified by JDM-EJ1 at 10:24 PM 11/7/2005

Modified by JDM-EJ1 at 12:26 PM 2/16/2006

Last edited by JDM-EJ1; 12-27-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (JDM-EJ1)

expletive yeah dude! Your car is getting better and better, it's ******* dumped now man! How does it ride? And you didn't break any lca bolts? Great writeup
Old 11-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I hate everything

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (litterbox)

Yeah, had a fun time doing it, that nut was a bitch though
Old 11-07-2005, 06:11 PM

looks good. i installed illuminas with the tokico performance shocks this summer and had a lot of the same trouble with the hex key and bolt. what springs are you using? the tokico springs didn't drop the car much at all, but it handles well so i'm not complaining.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (kevoweb)

I have these off brand coilovers.. I believe they are SPWs. They are all the way down. I haven't really driven it, (other than around my block) but I like them so far.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

More people need to see this, seriously guys.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">More people need to see this, seriously guys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Honestly, I was a tad idimitated by it at first. But it's a really easy process guys!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is picture of me using a peice of a VACCUM extension as a breaker bar, ghetto I know but it worked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol nice, thats alright this past weekend me and a buddy took the bateries out of my Mag-Light and used it as a breaker bar... the vaccum extension is a good idea too... i will keep that in mind...

and good write up too
Old 11-07-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (Slow EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol nice, thats alright this past weekend me and a buddy took the bateries out of my Mag-Light and used it as a breaker bar... the vaccum extension is a good idea too... i will keep that in mind...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought it was going to break. That thing is so old, it has the thinnest aluminum.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought it was going to break. That thing is so old, it has the thinnest aluminum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, this should come in handy when I need to take off my old shocks/springs. Should be close to the same even though mines a 96. Good reference either way
Old 11-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Farts in the shower

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly. Honestly, I was a tad idimitated by it at first. But it's a really easy process guys! </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only way to learn is to get in there and learn. Suspension is a great way to 'start'.

I really want to get my set up agx's. How is the ride compared to?

Modified by .ken at 11:17 PM 11/7/2005
Old 11-07-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (Slow EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, this should come in handy when I need to take off my old shocks/springs. Should be close to the same even though mines a 96. Good reference either way </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't imagine this being any different for the EK chassi. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can't imagine this being any different for the EK chassi. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

EK chassis is almost exactly the same. I haven't picked through it all yet to make sure, but at a quick glance it looks very similiar. Nice writeup.

Also, if you have an impact gun, this job is 5 times easier!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet write up

some of those oem replacement shocks/nuts have soft metal and when you try to take the nut off the shock it either rounds or you round the allen key hole.. it did on my shocks.. i was taking it out to put the ES mounts on there and it rounded off... i didn't bother removing since i'll be putting a new shock/coil setup in there so i just let it be for now
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (green00EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green00EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, if you have an impact gun, this job is 5 times easier!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not only with suspension, but with anything on a car!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet write up

some of those oem replacement shocks/nuts have soft metal and when you try to take the nut off the shock it either rounds or you round the allen key hole.. it did on my shocks.. i was taking it out to put the ES mounts on there and it rounded off... i didn't bother removing since i'll be putting a new shock/coil setup in there so i just let it be for now</TD></TR></TABLE>

But since, the top part of the suspension is very crucial I will need to replace it soon.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, if you're keeping the setup, it's a good idea to replace it
Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh man. you got so lucky. that bolt on the right rear is impossible. i swear it's the heat from the exhaust or something.. once that thing is on.. it's on forever.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (Hybrid2Be)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid2Be &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh man. you got so lucky. that bolt on the right rear is impossible. i swear it's the heat from the exhaust or something.. once that thing is on.. it's on forever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm.. It came off really easy for me.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Farts in the shower

You should add liquid wrench...it helps a lot!

Old 11-07-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (.ken)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .ken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should add liquid wrench...it helps a lot!</TD></TR></TABLE>

True. I only used what I had though. Anything that is electric, or powered in some sort of way.. That will be better than using your strength.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:08 AM

This install is pretty straight foward with any type of shock!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good write up! Thats the first thing I learned how to do besides changing my oil it gets easier with time and with a different car that didn't come from canada
Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG! (clint g)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clint g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good write up! Thats the first thing I learned how to do besides changing my oil it gets easier with time and with a different car that didn't come from canada </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean? I'm assuming a Honda from Canada would work the same as a Honda from the states.

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Shock removal/install on EG!