Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
ThumperAC
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why?

I have a 1995 accord EX and just yesterday the BRAKE dash light started comming on and off, then after about an hour of driving it came on and stayed on. After another short time driving, my ABS dash light came on. Currently, both lights are on, any advice on what could be wrong? (obviously could be brakes, but anything specific?)

Thanks!
ThumperAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #2
JimBlake
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (ThumperAC)

The brake lamp is the one for the handbrake? If so, it's also connected to a float switch in the MC reservoir, so check whether your brake fluid is low. If not that, check the little switch down at the handbrake lever. Sometimes the bracket gets bent or loose & it doesn't press the switch even when the handbrake lever is down.

With that light on, your ABS system thinks you're driving around with the handbrake set, so it throws it's own error. Search for how to read ABS error codes, 'cause it just might be somthing completely unrelated.

'03 Accord & '07 Civic
'01 Saab 9 & '05 9x

TECHNICAL(?) quote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ??
some guy told me that I could set the torque wrench that I have to 100 ft/lbs and then torque it, when it clicks torque it again at 81/ft lbs to have the torque add up to 181 ft/lbs
JimBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
ThumperAC
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (JimBlake)

thanks! the brake fluid is low, off to pepboys I go
Old 08-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
sauceja
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

PWDahmer oMo
Default Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (ThumperAC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperAC
thanks! the brake fluid is low, off to pepboys I go
I recommend using only Honda fluids for stuff like brakes PS Coolant and tranny. That off the shelf stuff may contaminate your original and also not last as long causing premature malfunctions.

But that is just me. Also if your fluid is low there is a BIG reason. Either you have a leak or you brakes are wearing down. You may want to check brakes & for leaks.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 AM   #5
ThumperAC
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (sauceja)

sauceja,

Thanks, I filled the brake fluid just last week and its again down to the empty level. Looks like I will have to attempt to check my brakes for leaks.

Is there an online guide as to how I attempt this?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
ricebike
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

basically, you'll have to lift the car on jacks, remove the wheels & do a visual... can o brakeclean is optional.

rear drum setup may require a manual...since you'll have to remove the drums to inspect the wheel cylinders.

I heard that if u goto autozone.com, there's a
few online repair manuals for some model cars...

+ i saw a couple of links to FactoryServiceManual quality pdf documents online floating around...
Wife's'95 Accord LX 4dr F22b2 she gave this away to a friend since it's still mechanically sound; now has a 2005 MDX... worse mpg & takes premium to boot (she's ignoring the last part & using regular octane)
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
deserthonda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (ricebike)

just pull the tire out and the drums will come right out . once out pull back on the rubber dust cover at wheel cylinder if any fluid comes out it is time to replace them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebike
basically, you'll have to lift the car on jacks, remove the wheels & do a visual... can o brakeclean is optional.

rear drum setup may require a manual...since you'll have to remove the drums to inspect the wheel cylinders.

I heard that if u goto autozone.com, there's a
few online repair manuals for some model cars...

+ i saw a couple of links to FactoryServiceManual quality pdf documents online floating around...
deserthonda is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1995, 2001, abs, accord, brake, civic, dash, dashboard, fluid, fluids, handbrake, honda, light, lights, low