Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

performance loss after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance loss after warmed up

Hey everyone...I've been a guest browsing these boards for some time now but never registered since I didn't own a car. I just recently bought a 1998 GSR and love the thing. One problem I have noticed though with the car and I remember a thread being made with a user having the same problem. I can't find the thread any more so hopefully reading my problem might ring a bell to some of you and find it for me.

Lets say I leave my car sitting over night and then wake up in the morning to go to work or something the car will run perfectly cold and even when warmed up. But once I park the car and say like 10 minutes (car is still warm) later I go to drive it again it becomes so sluggish. The responsiveness is gone and the clutch even feels harder to press down. If I let the car site for a good couple hours or more, which would mean it's pretty much cooled down, it feels just like it should.

I wish I could find that thread since the person that made it was/is having the same problem I am going through. I've check all the basics: spark plugs, wires are brand new oem, oil change done and at proper level.

I've going to have the car in service for a tune-up in a could days so hopefully it solves the problem but I'm really curious as to what you guys think it might be.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: performance loss after warmed up (98_gsrteg)

I had a problem like that and it was the spark plugs...they were a hotter temperature rating, and they would stay too cool....so I bought a set of ngk v-power plugs specified for my exact engine, and haven't had that problem since.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: performance loss after warmed up (Cliffjumper2)

Those are exactly the spark plugs I have. I did check them out and they look to be fine. I'll try an dpost a pic of them later...but it doesn't look like their lean or rich.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_gsrteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those are exactly the spark plugs I have. I did check them out and they look to be fine. I'll try an dpost a pic of them later...but it doesn't look like their lean or rich.</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine did too, you have to check their code, see if they are the right heat rating for your motor, or just buy a set that are the correct heat rating for your motor.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:25 PM

OK I'll do that. It pouring rain out right now but once I get a change I'll pull one, check the heat rating and get a pic for you all. Thanks.

Anyone have any other sugesstions or recall a similar thread being made with the same problem?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's my example:
the plugs that were in the motor when I got it were
NGK V-power BKR7E-11

the ones that were specified for my motor, and that I bought as a replacement were:
NGK V-power BKR6E-11

my weird luke warm issues were gone, and the car warms up quicker now upon startup
Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM

OK I just went to look at my plugs and the exact model is NGK G-power BKR6-EGP.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_gsrteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK I just went to look at my plugs and the exact model is NGK G-power BKR6-EGP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so I'd suggest giving the NGK V-power BKR6E-11 a try...they're cheap enough that it might be worth a try...for a set of four at Autozone it was like $5 something....also have you checked your cap and rotor?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:53 PM

Alright I'm going to swapped plugs then. I haven't looked cap and rotor yet but I'm going to have it looked at on Wednesday. Do you think a bad cap or rotor would cause this problem? BTW here is a pic of one of my plugs...a bit blurry sorry.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely try changing the plugs first, but if that doesn't work, then replace the cap and rotor...it should be done anyway if it hasn't been done in a while so you're not wasting your time.
yes that could be the cause of something like that.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check this out and these are supposed to be some good plugs try bosch
http://www.importreview.com/re....html
for $8, cant beat that
Old 06-13-2005, 09:45 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: performance loss after warmed up (cleantegra)

Get some NGK BKR6E-11 as stated.
About $8...
Gap it to 1.3mm

Change them every 10k-15k
Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: performance loss after warmed up (NightRider-gsR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NightRider-gsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Change them every 10k-15k</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe they're copper, so you probably don't want to wait that long between changing them....I'd say more like 3k to 6k, but that's why they're only a buck and change for each.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:41 PM

ok I went out and got the new plugs today but wasn't able to get them gapped. I was told that they really dont' have to but do you think I really should? I can have my work do it no problem but will there be such a difference whether its doen or not? I will install the plugs tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_gsrteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok I went out and got the new plugs today but wasn't able to get them gapped. I was told that they really dont' have to but do you think I really should? I can have my work do it no problem but will there be such a difference whether its doen or not? I will install the plugs tomorrow.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't gap mine when I put them in, they worked fine....but I'm sure some would think that wasn't a good idea on my part.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:22 PM

I think I'm just going to leave them. Tomorrow I'm having a tune-up done and gonna have the new plugs installed. Hoping this all solves the problem. I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool...hope that was it
Old 06-15-2005, 04:51 PM

Well I was able to install the plugs today nto not get any of the other tune-up work done. From what I have felt the problem is still there. The new plugs have helped somewhat but not fully solved this issue. Hopefully going to get all the other stuff done tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:54 PM
In-N-Out Burger

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cliffjumper2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe they're copper, so you probably don't want to wait that long between changing them....I'd say more like 3k to 6k, but that's why they're only a buck and change for each.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Coppers last up to 15K on NA mildly modded engines.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: performance loss after warmed up (NightRider-gsR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NightRider-gsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Coppers last up to 15K on NA mildly modded engines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've read and heard different.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:49 PM

have the valve lash checked and adjusted, its a stretch but you could be in spec whenver your motor is cold but whenver you reach normal temp you could expand out of spec
Old 06-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AllMotorGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_gsrteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I was able to install the plugs today nto not get any of the other tune-up work done. From what I have felt the problem is still there. The new plugs have helped somewhat but not fully solved this issue. Hopefully going to get all the other stuff done tomorrow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

all have a valve adjustment done...to take care of this possibility mentioned by allmotor:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllMotorGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have the valve lash checked and adjusted, its a stretch but you could be in spec whenver your motor is cold but whenver you reach normal temp you could expand out of spec</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the plugs helped a little, then try the valve adjustment, along with a cap and rotor...then see how it runs.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: (Cliffjumper2)

Alright I got done what I wanted except for one thing, tranny fluid change. I want to get the cap and rotor changed as well...maybe even the whole distributor. Driven the car for a day now and the problem is still there. I honestly think it might be the tranny fluid. Owner before me never changed it so I don't know how long or if its ever been changed. As soon as car gets a bit warm shifting and clutchign down gets much stiffer. Car will rev much higher without the car really going anywhere.

Looking for any more input as I try to find the culprit to my problem.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98_gsrteg)

damn, sorry that wasn't the problem....GL finding and fixing it
Old 06-19-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (Cliffjumper2)

quick question while I try to figure this out. The rad of course has 2 fans on it and I'm just curious is one of them is supposed to turn on when the car is idling and warm? Neither of the 2 go on when car is idling except when I turn on the A/C. Both fans will spin when it's on but when it's off none do. Is this right?

Quick Reply: performance loss after warmed up