Notices

Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A Coil On Plug CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are the main advantages of direct fire vs a wasted spark setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

As discussed already on the FAQ (first post), direct fire only sparks once every two revolution (720deg crank). Wasted spark fires every 360 deg. Which means more charge time for direct fire, and less stress/heat on the coils and ignition system compared to wasted spark.

If not using Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI), most factory inductive systems using DIS have a longer duration spark which improves combustion at lower to mid RPM's.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (Tony the Tiger)

Hall effect and no dissy is the only way to go..laser sharp timing and no mis fires what so ever!

Old 08-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wasted spark setups cuts available coil charge time in half, that's why I would go for coil per plug.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (D-tuned)

Great thread. Let's sticky it for a while
We need more posts like these.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (earl)

Bump this great thread.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My F-150 has "COPS"... I hate those things with a passion.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wasted spark setups cuts available coil charge time in half, that's why I would go for coil per plug.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

but wasted spark (4-cyl) mulitplies available coil charge time by 2 compared to running one coil. and the aem ems 30-1000 ecu only has 3 coil outputs so it is eather a dizzy or wasted spark.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18ccivics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18ccivics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but wasted spark (4-cyl) mulitplies available coil charge time by 2 compared to running one coil. and the aem ems 30-1000 ecu only has 3 coil outputs so it is eather a dizzy or wasted spark.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but thoes of us that don't have a 30-1000 have 4 coil outputs we get 4 times the charge time of the stock single coil
Old 08-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (TrueNorthStar)

so i will be using a 30-1000 ems, how would i go about doing cop or can i even do it? i heard that aem has been upgrading the 30-1000 box with an additonal output ( ithink)
Old 08-20-2005, 08:24 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i heard that aem has been upgrading the 30-1000 box with an additonal output ( ithink)</TD></TR></TABLE>

where did u here that? just wondering..
Old 08-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hell yea, bump for one of the best actual tech baised threads i've seen in a long *** time.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When attempting to do this conversion what Honda coil sticks as far as year and models will work?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: (bruceleeroy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruceleeroy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where did u here that? just wondering..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Fromt he aempwer forums, i read that the 1000 box need to be modified by aem in order to run a hall effect sensor, i don't think its as simple as the bother boxes where you can switch jumpers, im not sure about aem adding another outputwhen you send it to them,would be convienent tho
Old 08-21-2005, 07:23 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaIntegraR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaIntegraR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Fromt he aempwer forums, i read that the 1000 box need to be modified by aem in order to run a hall effect sensor, i don't think its as simple as the bother boxes where you can switch jumpers, im not sure about aem adding another outputwhen you send it to them,would be convienent tho</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh i already know about the mod for the hall effect on the 30-1000s ..but yeh i would like an extra output for my box if possible so i wouldnt have to go sell it for a 1040 or 60 or ill just do wasted spark.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (Drip Pan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drip Pan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My F-150 has "COPS"... I hate those things with a passion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to work at a shop who dealt mostly with Mustangs and Lightnings, the Individual COil Packs on teh Cbras and Lightnings were prone to fail especially getting the power up. I had asked about doing these Before and people would say the Ford ones sucked! So of course I did the CBR 954RR coils(or about to this week)

Good TECH Article Dameon and Jay!!! I will be using this article this week to help me with my COP set up too.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (Boostfed.com)

Off Topic but On Topic.

Nagaidenshi markets a multi coil setup for Honda's over here that uses a OEM single coil output to drive (4) coils. Too bad it has a typical JDM price ($825). For this price the setup should have also included a new Hall Effect sensor so the distributor can be completely removed.

There should be some way to make a COP setup with CBR coils work with Hondata, Uberdata and other OEM type setups.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (Dee)

Yes Dee, I have heard of that. Jeff Evans was telling me about it when I saw him at SEMA AC not too long ago. Problem is, the price
Old 08-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (93LSivic)

I have to money to "waste" but I'd rather have a product that totally removes the crappy distributor. I will find a way to use COP with a single coil output.

Oh yeah, the MDI ignition has been on the market for at least 3 years.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (Dee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkdayz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When attempting to do this conversion what Honda coil sticks as far as year and models will work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

honda cbr 954,929,600 for b-series heads

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O3DigitalBath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hell yea, bump for one of the best actual tech baised threads i've seen in a long *** time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i will be using a 30-1000 ems, how would i go about doing cop or can i even do it? i heard that aem has been upgrading the 30-1000 box with an additonal output ( ithink)</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can run wasted spark with the 1000 box. I've ran wasted spark and direct fire on my car at the dyno. I did not see any performance gains switching between the 2
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D-tuned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you can run wasted spark with the 1000 box. I've ran wasted spark and direct fire on my car at the dyno. I did not see any performance gains switching between the 2</TD></TR></TABLE>

but i have to buy 4 msd coils or something of the like which are too expensive. i like using coil on plug becuase i get the coils from honda for almost nothing. not to mention the wasted spark setup takes up too much space underhood and takes more wiring and there is more crap that can break.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but i have to buy 4 msd coils or something of the like which are too expensive. i like using coil on plug becuase i get the coils from honda for almost nothing. not to mention the wasted spark setup takes up too much space underhood and takes more wiring and there is more crap that can break.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought my CBR954RR coils on EBAY(EEEK I hate EBAY) for $100 with harness just fyi, MSD COILS get expensive true. The Honda COP are not that good for HIGH HP I am told BUT then again st00pid just made 519whp on a stock K20A2 weird.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (Boostfed.com)

If you do a good 4 channel ign box (i don't think an msd will do it without frying itself) you can run these mercury marine coils for around $30/ea. It's about as hot of a coil as you can get, and very small, very light, and very cheap! That doesn't happen often! lol

Old 08-22-2005, 08:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A COP CONVERSION (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do a good 4 channel ign box (i don't think an msd will do it without frying itself) you can run these mercury marine coils for around $30/ea. It's about as hot of a coil as you can get, and very small, very light, and very cheap! That doesn't happen often! lol

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Didn't realize they were that cheap!!! Tony how much for the M&W 10 box?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but i have to buy 4 msd coils or something of the like which are too expensive. i like using coil on plug becuase i get the coils from honda for almost nothing. not to mention the wasted spark setup takes up too much space underhood and takes more wiring and there is more crap that can break.</TD></TR></TABLE>

u can wire up a COP and still be wasted spark..
Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not to mention the wasted spark setup takes up too much space underhood and takes more wiring and there is more crap that can break.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont understand that comment. you can run wasted spark with coil on plug and wasted takes less wiring (you only have to run two coil output wires from the ecu versus running four for direct fire) other than that it is the same. I could have gotten by using two dual output coils but i already had 2 blaster ss coils so i used those.

Quick Reply: Detailed write up.... HOW TO DO A Coil On Plug CONVERSION