Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Tech/Misc
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-17-2002, 12:13 AM   #1
Powered by Honda
Honda-Tech Member
2003 Honda S2000
My Garage

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default crap! what to do about spilled brake fluid inside engine bay...

damn, pretty pissed. I was adding some brake fluid into the brake and clutch reservoir and some of it accidentally spilled into my engine bay right below the brake reservoir area, and I can't freakin' reach it to clean it up. Now I know brake fluid is a highly effective paint remover and damager so what can I possibly do to lessen the damage, if any? Does brake fluid actually strip paint to the metal or just visibly damages it a little? I was under the impression that the paint manufacturers use inside the engine bay is different than the kind they use on the exterior of the car so maybe the brake fluid won't affect that area at all? Anyone think a steam clean will do the trick? there is just no human way possible for me to reach the areas that got spilled on in the engine bay...thanks for any advice!... Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

[Modified by MugenHondaFormula1, 9:18 AM 2/17/2002]
Powered by Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:33 AM   #2
irev210
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to irev210
Default Re: crap! what to do about spilled brake fluid inside engine bay... (MugenHondaFormula1)

dude, its no biggy
go to pepboys autozone etc type store, buy some engine degreeser, spray it all around. take a hose and rinse it off
no big deal
keep water off ur distributor and valve cover

irev210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:46 AM   #3
Powered by Honda
Honda-Tech Member
2003 Honda S2000
My Garage

Default Re: crap! what to do about spilled brake fluid inside engine bay... (sirhatchback)

thanks for the reply man, is there any specific degreaser you recommend or use?
Powered by Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 05:32 AM   #4
non-VTEC
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Acura Integra

Default Re: crap! what to do about spilled brake fluid inside engine bay... (MugenHondaFormula1)

hose it off with the garden hose.........
Old 02-17-2002, 05:33 AM   #5
DragII
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Sk8 P
Default Re: crap! what to do about spilled brake fluid inside engine bay... (non-VTEC)

wipe it up.
DragII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 06:08 AM   #6
G
Garage is empty, add now

Wash with water ASAP....
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:57 AM   #7
martini
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to martini
Default Re: crap! what to do about spilled brake fluid inside engine bay... (G)

rinse it off with water asap..

then go to the auto store and pick up some engine degreaser (simple green, Engine brite, whatever..it doesn't really matter..though some are biodegradable, you might want to try for those.) Spray it all over, and rinse it off. You might as well clean the entire engine bay with degreaser while you're at it.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:00 PM   #8
rtype11
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

brake parts cleaner will take care of it.
rtype11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #9
typer_801
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: crap! what to do about spilled brake fluid inside engine bay... (rtype11)

Rinse with water immmediately. Then if greasy use Simple Green or any other cleaner like that to remove the residue.

I've also had very good luck with "Coastal Cleaner" from AutoZone. While it says not to use on aluminum (I think Simple Green does too) it works exceptionally well at degreasing engines, just don't let it sit long on anything. Spray on, the brush problem areas quickly and high pressure spray off. Then for rubber items (after cleaning) I'd recommend some sort of silicon to relubricate them so they don't dry out and fail prematurely.
98 ITR #801 - SOLD
typer_801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 03:32 PM   #10
McLaren
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

I would use some engine degreaser to clean those, and you better clean them fast!!

Brake Fluid would eat you paint!! Trust me, they will make your paint pill off!! I had that happened b4!!

[Modified by McLaren, 4:33 PM 2/18/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 07:39 AM   #11