Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin

Old 06-16-2006, 08:30 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JDMHN8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMHN8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Old Samurai's have an anemic 1.3L or something that makes less than 100HP, and people put 33x10.50s on them with no problem. It won't be fast, but it's doable.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's true but didn't they also have low range and part time four wheel drive? I'm not very knowledgeable of them but I think it's a different beast.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

Yeah your right.
I have a 2000 crv ex, and I cant complain about it at all. It does a great job getting around in the snow covered roads in the winter, and its even great for light off road use. But as most other people said, its not a trail blazer. Im sure that with a little extra ground clearence and better tires you can get a better off road, but the crv isnt made for it... water in your trans, and overheating the awd and clutch is preaty easy to do in a offroad situation, plus the b20 motor it great for road use, and it is dohc, but its only pulling about 140-150hp range which might find yourself strugling in a messy situation. Good luck with your offroad upgrade, but dont expect mom to pay any of the unexpected $ in damages.
Nice Pics... Impressed to see they can haul there own. But do you think all the crvs got out of the mess they were in without a winch after the pic was taken?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin (pagong)

how much whould that cost me if i were to get that done? exacly the same set up? with the bds lift kit... and where can i get one?

Modified by FATKID87 at 3:52 PM 12/20/2006
Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin (FATKID87)

If you have any CRV-specific questions, HondaSUV.com is a much better place to find answers.

-The CRV AWD systems are extremely resilient- if you manage to overheat one (I have done it once in the summer driving in deep sand) it will simply shut down automatically until it is cool enough to resume operation.

-I have never heard of a rear diff clutch pack dying from overuse in a CRV.

-Your CV shafts will also be fine - even the seemingly spindly rear ones

-The AWD system uses a hydraulically actuated clutch pack to engage.

-If your CRV's rear diff was making sounds after you climbed that hill or when you turn, it means your rear differential fluid needs to be replaced ASAP! go to HondaSUV.com and search for "differential sound" or "differential noise" etc. There is a sticky in the clinical rounds section with a video on how to DIY - very easy job. Your car is crying - it wants new diff fluid. Use ONLY HONDA DUAL-PUMP FLUID - Nothing else or you could kill the diff!!!

-BDS suspension makes (or used to make) a 2" lift kit for the CRV which consists of four longer, stiffer springs. You can also lift a CRV using home made spacers like I did for much less $$$

-The largest size tire you can fit on a stock CRV (stock rims too) is 225/70/15 or 215/75/15. I would recommend the 225/70/15 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. Awesome offroad and onroad.

-The CRV can safely ford water up to 72cm deep (speed/pressure waves etc can change this though) - thats only 3 cm less than a Hummer H2...... but the H2 is a POS anyway so its a bad comparison I suppose.

-I have a 2" custom lift, and 225/70/15 AT Revos. I can keep up with any stock or similarly sized Jeep. The CRV (1st generation anyway) can more than hold their own offroad. Add the fact that the seats fold into a bed and it comes with its own picnic table, and they're awesome little cars for camping/adventuring.

If you're going to offroad, just take it easy and don't do anything stupid. With the CRV you want to keep at least three wheels or both front/both rear in contact with good ground at all times - its an open diff 4WD system when its engaged just like any other. You'll also have to be careful not to drag the bottom of the car accross anything because it doens't have any skidplates or underarmor. As long as you don't drive it like a monster truck you'll be fine- I think of it as a "softroader"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wp5IwM0L1z0 &lt; Had to pull the TJ out twice on this run

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R3KPji_Szms

Old 04-14-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin (Fox22)

I do own a TJ wrangler and my wife has a 03 crv ex just like the blue one on 3 wheels in the pic, unless you have more hp/tq the crv won't be a serious offroad truck and it's not meant to be an off road truck, we love our 04 ex and it's the best small suv as far as everything value, mpg, reliability etc;. you can do light off road with it but it will break eventually offroding it's harsh on trucks. If you want to hang with your buddies blazer's or offroad toys then you better get an wrangler it will whip their blazers.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:25 PM

VERY NICE PICS!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin (camil212)

True, if you do harsh offroad driving every day, then you'd be better off with a rougher vehicle, but for the occasional adventure its fine. My CRV is 10 years old and never needed any repairs/parts due to offroading. I just replaced the struts for the first time last week at 250 000kms... As far as power goes, it has more power than many jeeps and smaller offroad vehicles. What it lacks, is a low speed transfer case. In any case, I do hang with my buddies' blazers and jeeps .... I carry the socket set and tow straps for them

The one time I have needed to winch/pull the CRV out of the mud was my fault for picking a bad line. On trail runs, the bigger trucks tend to get stuck much more than I do because I usually play it safe and take the easier lines.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome post . Keep em coming
Old 04-28-2007, 05:37 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

as soon as I can afford it i'm going to buy the BDS kit and possibly new axles.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moogocow3/215656790/
Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ScruffyTheJanitor)

Is that your CRV ^^ I love the skid plate. Where did you get it? My CRV is the same color, I love it!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Honda acessory skid plate. It's worth it's weight in gold. I can't tell you how many direct hits it's taken frm sand dunes.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fox22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Now that I look at that picture more it looks like you had overheated your differential. I think i'm going to design a cooler to go on the diff.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RangerJoe)

Nice CRV btw crazy to see em offroad like that

Right mods and right driver youll be fine
Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin (pagong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pagong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here you go...taken from http://www.hondasuv.com

BDS lift kit
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evil Monkey)

This thread makes me want a crv
Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMHN8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Old Samuri's have an anemic 1.3L or something that makes less than 100HP, and people put 33x10.50s on them with no problem. It won't be fast, but it's doable.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah and they have an ultra short final drive, and cruise on the highway in top gear like a 1st gen JDM B16A
Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (Ross 2.0)

wat size BFG tires are those i want to get some
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mattyho)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mattyho &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wat size BFG tires are those i want to get some
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy 1yr+ thread revival!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

It's not a bad one to bring up though.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:19 AM

just answer the question none of this trash plz
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Default Re: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin (Shaned197)

i used to go offroading all the time in my crv. fun stuff. i have a 1997 honda, and they are only the b20 engines, so they have no power to do anything. you'd want a jeep or truck or something, with click in 4wheel drive and a v6 or v8 because the automatic 4wheel drive and no power, sucks. specially in the 97, if you get a lift and bigger tires, inless its a 5 speed you get terrible gas mileage. you have to make sure you wash you brakes, and engine bay real good (make sure you cover up the distributor) after each off-road. i had to get smaller tires because i put bigger ones on and i got terrible gas mileage. but a 5 speed is different because you can get more power out of each gear and stuff. so i dont know go for it but it will [freak] up your 4 wheel drive and the ground clearence isnt that great.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:01 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Don't worry just do it.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin

BUMP!

How the hell do you make spring spacers? out of pvc? LAWL. I've been looking into lifting a CRV, and BDS doesn't make a lift kit anymore, but I've read that Ironman does. Anybody with more info? I know HondaSUV has more info...but not much that seems usefull...only that one guy with the green one and Fox22 who's not on here anymore it seems.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, this is one short, nice, but old thread.

That green CR-V doesn't look lifted to me, unless I just can't tell,because of the bigger tires on it.

But damn, this thread makes me wanna go off-roading.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM

This crv is mine, auto trans awd, 2 inch ironman lift, 15x7 steelies with 30x9.5 tires, 3 inch intake with cone filter. My crv is almost identical to the other except his is a 5spd, his is pretty sweet. Njoy!
Attached Images      

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CRV lift kit or bigger tires? off roadin