Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is this still cool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this still cool?

Just curious if it is still cool to use Gm SynchroMesh Friction modified in a civic part # 12377916 or AC Delco part # 10-4014. I was wondering if people still do this or if it is no longer cool. Im thinking of picking some up but it is impossible to find. I have been to every GM dealer in a 30 mile radius . Is it worth the trouble to drive an hour to get it? Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Is this still cool? (TurboEM1)

People do it, i dont know if its the "cool" thing but people use it because it works. Why not use Honda MTF then since you cant find GM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it worth the trouble to drive an hour to get it? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should not use FM if you don't have any grinds in your transmission. Use the regular synchromesh, or the Penzoil synchromesh that can be found at any parts store.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the responses. I CAN get the pennzoil/GM stuff easily but not the friction modified. Heres my dilema. The car is a 99 Si with 89000 miles. It has an occasional grind shifting to 4th from third at like 7000+rpm and it is notchy going into all gears. Like a fast 1 - 2 shift and it doesnt grind but notches into the gear. Same for a 3-4 or a 4-5. It is also hesitant downshifting to 1st from above 5mph. Is the GM Friction modified to harsh? The tranny isnt grinding like crazy or anythig so you think the pennzoil/GM regular stuff is sufficient or should i just get Honda MTF. I heard the Honda stuff is junk. I have also heard the non friction modified is the same as Honda MTF. I hate to bring this topic back up but i have researched for more then any of you can imagine. I have read every post and all the info on google. Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. Like a fast 1 - 2 shift and it doesnt grind but notches into the gear. Same for a 3-4 or a 4-5. It is also hesitant downshifting to 1st from above 5mph. </TD></TR></TABLE>

All Hondas have the 1st gear charachteristic, nothing to worry about there. Sounds like you ahve the typical 3rd gear grind. The FM may take care of it, but it's only a bandaid. If it's not too bad, and all the other gears are fine, I might stay away from the FM for a while.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sounds like you ahve the typical 3rd gear grind. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the typical 3rd gear grind going from 2-3 or 3-4?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The FM may take care of it, but it's only a bandaid. If it's not too bad, and all the other gears are fine, I might stay away from the FM for a while.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea i was wondering if the FM may be to harsh for a not so serious problem.

So you think i should stick with the Regular GM or the honda MTF? Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the responses. I CAN get the pennzoil/GM stuff easily but not the friction modified. Heres my dilema. The car is a 99 Si with 89000 miles. It has an occasional grind shifting to 4th from third at like 7000+rpm and it is notchy going into all gears. Like a fast 1 - 2 shift and it doesnt grind but notches into the gear. Same for a 3-4 or a 4-5. It is also hesitant downshifting to 1st from above 5mph. Is the GM Friction modified to harsh? The tranny isnt grinding like crazy or anythig so you think the pennzoil/GM regular stuff is sufficient or should i just get Honda MTF. I</TD></TR></TABLE> I have the same problem, if I am shifting from 2nd-3rd, it grinds sometimes. I also have the same problem with it being kinda hard to shift, I thought it could be the shifter bushings. Also, my first gear is hard to push in too, but I have noticed this on all cars with different shifters other than OEM. Just wanted to let you know, your not the only one with the problem.

Please update if you elimate the problem.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So you think i should stick with the Regular GM or the honda MTF? Thanks for all the help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've used the Honda MTF and the Penzoil SM, and they both work great. If I'm at the dealer, I'll pick up the Honda; if not, I'll get the Penzoil from the auto store.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:02 AM
cute little bastard

Yea man all the cool kids are doing it

I use Honda MTF and its not that good. It grinded alot and just didn't feel smooth in general. I used Pennzoil before and it was much better than the Honda fluid
Old 04-28-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Is this still cool? (SkoundrelUSA)

would the pennzoil fluid take help the grinding that i have in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this still cool? (Cypher0117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would the pennzoil fluid take help the grinding that i have in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it's the regular SynchroMesh. You need the GM SM Friction Modified available at the dealer to get rid of the grind.

Old 04-28-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Is this still cool? (AutoXer)

for the gm sm friciton modified trans fluid...that will go into manuals right? because i've seen it online for mostly automatics only. I just want to know so i don't have the posibility to hurt my precious 94 civic dx
Old 04-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

totally not cool. man who cares if its "cool" or not
Old 04-28-2005, 05:53 PM

i know i kind of got off on a tangent from what this post is actually about so to that i personally don't care what others think is cool...i pretty much do what suits me.

but does anyone have an answer to my post just before this one?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Mr. Indecisive

dont ever downshift into first gear!!!! If ur trans grins its b/ u abused it... stop power shifting n u wont have the problem&gt; Also if u double clutch it wont grind .
Im swapping out my d16 cause its time to go b series n the trans is goin, i too abused n power shifted. The first thing to happen is the deadful 2nd to 3rd gear grind, now my berring is so bad my f*in tranny sounds like a garbage dissposal B16 on the way tho
Old 04-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

syncrochro mesh FM is for limited slip equipped cars
Old 04-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this still cool? (CoupeVtec2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont ever downshift into first gear!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF are you talking about? Of course you can downshift into first. Please don't say anything you have no clue about.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If ur trans grins its b/ u abused it... stop power shifting n u wont have the problem </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow. Way to make a totally wrong assumption. I never "power shift" or "abuse" my transmission. How about the fact it has almost 90,000 miles on it and is a Honda tranny known to have these grinds.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Im swapping out my d16 cause its time to go b series n the trans is goin, i too abused n power shifted. The first thing to happen is the deadful 2nd to 3rd gear grind, now my berring is so bad my f*in tranny sounds like a garbage dissposal B16 on the way tho </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow you must have raped that transmission daily.

Please only people with a valid response post and thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Mr. Indecisive

ok whatever, 90k ant **** anyway. Jus tryin to give some advise.... downshift to first then, maybe thats y ur trans sounds like ****. Whatever man, its only downhill from there, n i didnt even flame u about "is it cool"... ur ****** gay, i bet u only do **** that u see other ppl doin, y would u ever make the title for ur thread"is it still cool" ur a ***
Old 04-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My tranny had a slight grind from 1-2 under heavy throttle. I used the Friction Modified **** and it cleared it right up! It will take about a 100 miles or so to really start working.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this still cool? (TurboTagTeam)

Friction modified is the only way to go. Regular stuff won't cut it.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok whatever, 90k ant **** anyway. Jus tryin to give some advise.... downshift to first then, maybe thats y ur trans sounds like ****. Whatever man, its only downhill from there, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Please give me some information as to why downshifting to first is bad and will make my transmission "sound like ****". That is the most uneducated comment I have ever heard. Honda puts a gear in the car that you can never use? I'm not talking about doing 50 and trying to rip it into 1st. I was saying how above 5 mph it takes a little time which some people who have been helpful told me that is normal to expect. Also my transmission sounds fine, not "like ****". It has an occasional grind at hard driving, not abusive driving which seems to be very common in hydro B series transmissions.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> n i didnt even flame u about "is it cool"</TD></TR></TABLE>

No one said you flamed me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... ur ****** gay, i bet u only do **** that u see other ppl doin, y would u ever make the title for ur thread"is it still cool" ur a ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because I was serious when I asked the question is it cool. I was looking for information and brought up the topic in a typical Honda-Tech fashion by trying to see if things are cool. I wasn't serious. I was asking in a joking way. And how mature are you calling me "****** gay" and that "[im] a ***". You have provided me with zero information and just filled the post with profanity and ignorance. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Mr. Indecisive

If u want helpful info just ask, if a mod doesnt like a thread he will lock it... If u double clutch when driving hard or when you feel the trans will most likely grind, it wont grind at all. If u grind 3rd enough it gets fairly worn espesually when you do it at high rpm
Double clutch when:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
hard driving
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was kinda intoxicated last night so i appolagise about the use of words
Old 04-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If u want helpful info just ask, if a mod doesnt like a thread he will lock it... If u double clutch when driving hard or when you feel the trans will most likely grind, it wont grind at all. If u grind 3rd enough it gets fairly worn espesually when you do it at high rpm
Double clutch when:

I was kinda intoxicated last night so i appolagise about the use of words</TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem man. thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

My trans currently has 203k miles on it...

OVER 100k miles ago it was making some UGLY noises... it whirred through almost all the gears... it ground going into almost every gear... and reverse was next to impossible to get into...

I switched in some redline MTL and it ALL went away... trans shifts smooth now and doesn't make any noises (well until recently but that's a different issue).

I didn't want to keep spending the money on the redline and I heard somewhere that it can cause premature bearing wear... which I doubt... but regardless I switched to the non-friction modified Penzoil synchromesh and it still shifts smooth as hell and has no noises coming from it.

Highly recomend it or if you have the money the redline MTL...