Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 04-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
baonest
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to baonest
Default NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in

well, im already 21, so i really dont care much. but i do see the good and bad in this.

i think if this law does pass, it could possibly slow a few things down. but we'll see

http://technicianonline.com/story.php?id=011684

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">21 + 8hours = The New 21

Posted: 04.20.2005

Melih Onvural/TECHNICIAN

Michelle Eggleston

It is midnight on your 21st birthday. You stand excitedly in line at the local bar waiting for the chance to proudly flash your legal ID. You contemplate which drink you will have first. Maybe you will take straight shots or maybe you will indulge in some exotic cocktails. The options are unlimited.

You have spent 21 years waiting for this moment. But, as you show the bouncer your ID he denies you entrance to the bar. Your jaw drops in dismay and you ask, "Why?" The answer: you are still not legal to drink because North Carolina just passed a law that requires you to wait until 8 a.m. to buy your first alcoholic drink.

No, this law has not yet passed in North Carolina. However, Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota are currently trying to pass this bill in order to prevent deaths due to binge drinking. The tradition of "power hour" or "21 for 21" is what sparked off this legislation act.

At midnight, newly legal 21-year-olds only have an hour or two to consume as many alcoholic drinks as possible. This tradition has led to deaths, people lapsing into comas and people being sent to detox from over-consumption of alcohol. The power-hour bill is trying to slow down the rate of alcohol consumption by delaying the legal drinking age to the next day. Lawmakers behind this bill say that only criminalizing the midnight binge can stop it.

This is How We Do

Beth Uhas, a junior in criminology, will be turning 21 in two weeks and is planning on going out to the bars at midnight on her birthday. She said that she would not be taking 21 shots even though her brother said that he is going to buy them for her. "Even if they did enact the law, I would still be drinking on my birthday just not at a bar," said Uhas.

Jason Schultze, a senior in business management, did not go out to the bar on his 21st birthday because he was the oldest out of his friends. Instead, he went to a party to celebrate his milestone. "I don't really remember how much I drank that night, but people take it to the extreme on their 21st birthday. You just get caught up in the moment," said Schultze.

Nick Verna, a junior in applied sociology, hit up the ABC store on his 21st birthday. He did not go out to a bar; instead he drank with friends at a party. He remembers downing about 10 or 12 drinks that night. He went out to bars that weekend where he consumed only a couple drinks. "People are going to get drunk other ways even if they don't go to bars. This law would only change the venue for drinking," Verna said.

Bartenders are the sober eyes that see all the action. Kristan Jones, a bartender at Playmakers, said friends often order the craziest shots for the birthday boy or girl. No one has ever been hospitalized for over drinking at Playmakers even though a guy did fall asleep on the toilet one time, Jones said.

She could see North Carolina passing this law because it has such strict laws already. She does not think the law would be effective because it is only one night.

"A law is not going to keep people from drinking," Jones said. "They'll just drink more the next night."
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Lost Type R
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Lost Type R
Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (baonest)

Geez nothing bad. Just wait one day then mess yourself up. Stupid law. I guess they just wanna pass it to save the stupid people which majority of the state has.
Airbag Club Member #0003
Lost Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
PapaPark
HT White Ops
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (baonest)

I don't think 8 hours is much of a difference. You aren't instantly going to mature in that amount of time. And not everyone goes on a drinking rampage as soon as they turn 21.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
nub.96ek
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (PapaPark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaPark
And not everyone goes on a drinking rampage as soon as they turn 21.
??? Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
VTECsound
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (nub.96ek)

Cali &gt; * Click the image to open in full size.
VTECsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
PapaPark
HT White Ops
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (nub.96ek)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nub.96ek
??? Click the image to open in full size.
Did you not read the article?

At midnight, newly legal 21-year-olds only have an hour or two to consume as many alcoholic drinks as possible. This tradition has led to deaths, people lapsing into comas and people being sent to detox from over-consumption of alcohol. The power-hour bill is trying to slow down the rate of alcohol consumption by delaying the legal drinking age to the next day. Lawmakers behind this bill say that only criminalizing the midnight binge can stop it.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
keebler65
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

this is kind of a different topic, but i think a better law would be no law. look at countries which have no drinking age...i do believe they have less drinking issues with kids in these countries.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
This One
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (keebler65)

thats pretty dumb, so everyone just waits till the next day to get hammered.
It dont see how it will elimante any more problems rather than problay create them.
Especially for the people in the middle of it all as the law gets passed.

[email]Sales@one-fab.com[/email]
<U> [B][url="http://www.stoopidfast.com"]StoopidFast.com[/url] [/B]</U>
[B] <U>[url="http://www.one-fab.com"]One-Fab.com[/url] </U> [/B]
[B] <U>[url="http://www.Fast-Turbo.com"]Fast-Turbo.com[/url] </U> [/B]
This One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:49 PM   #9
Riceburner247
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)
Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (This One)

The bars around here give away a free drink on your 21st, but if you go there at midnight on your birthday you won't get them free. Kind of the same thing, sorta.
oh, that loser riceburner got our daytime thread locked...i wish people like him would die horrible deaths
Riceburner247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
lammy
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (Riceburner2

They act like people never go to bars before they are 21. Hell, just use your fake to get in and then celebrate all you want. How's that for irony?
lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
Independent
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in

Every bar I have been to has the right to refuse service to you if they feel it may be hazardous to your health. In fact, I have heard that an establishment can lose their liqour license if they fail to adhere to these standards.

I don't see why there is a need to prolong the sale of alcohol. Most 18 year-olds have ample access to alcohol let alone a 21 year-old. If they're going to drink, they're going to drink!
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:21 PM   #12
Rocks
Garage is empty, add now

FYI I turn 21 tommorow . Im drinking thats for damn sure.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #13
TRAY
Honda-Tech Member
2005 Subaru Legacy

Send a message via AIM to TRAY
Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (Rocks)

JESUS CHRIST Click the image to open in full size. Is it really worth the effort to pay elected officials so they can sit in congress and deciede to add 8 hours to someones 21t birthday? Ill tell you what a ******* bar is the safest place for someone to be when they turn 21. I know that it would have been for me. Just like she says she'll be drinking somewhere thats for damn sure
When we look at modern man, we have to face the fact that modern man suffers from a kind of poverty of the spirit We've learned to fly the air as birds, we've learned to swim the seas as fish, yet we haven't learned to walk the Earth as brothers and sisters
TRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 AM   #14
fredtoast
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (PapaPark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaPark

Did you not read the article?

I don't believe this. I think it is some sort of urban legend. Whenever a kid dies from binge drinking it is usually a big news story. I've never heard of it happening after midnight on someones 21st birthday.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:39 AM   #15
vicz
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to vicz
Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (fredtoast)

as long as the bill doesn't pass within the next 23 days i'm golden.. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #16
FifthGearOnline
Honda-Tech Member
2009 Subaru Impreza

Send a message via AIM to FifthGearOnline
Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (Str8 Viczou

meh im almost 23 i dont care Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:57 AM   #17
REDNECK TYPE-R
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

DUMB

To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen.
Shittin' the bed again.
Typical.
REDNECK TYPE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #18
boostincoupe
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Send a message via AIM to boostincoupe
Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (keebler65)

All this law is going to do is make a bunch of people who would have drank themselves retarded anyways at a bar, have to wait a day longer to do the same thing.

Let Darwin sort them out. Click the image to open in full size.
boostincoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:25 AM   #19
Ricey McRicerton
Former Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (REDNECK TYP

Of all the things in the world that lawmakers could focus on, this is it? A 9 year old girl was buried alive within the last couple of months after being sexually assaulted and kidnapped...

21 should be 21. Not 21 and 8 hours. If a kid drinks themself to death, so be it. Adding those 8 hours will only turn it into the next day. Most of the kids who "go crazy" and binge drink on their 21st are already big drinkers. I know I won't have more than 2 or 3 on my birthday, and that's just like any other night I decide to drink.

EDIT: Boostin just barely beat me to it. Click the image to open in full size.
06 VFR800
Ricey McRicerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #20
fluxion
amin n'rangwa edanea
Garage is empty, add now

what stops the kid from going to the bar the next day and taking straight shots over the course of a 4-5 hours instead of 2?

they'll just end up consuming even more alcohol and getting more shitfaced wouldn't they?

i don't see anyone short of a heavy drinkin frat boy dying from alcohol poisoning, newbies would be spilling their guts far in advance trying to consume too much too quick.

Ai, like gold fall the leaves in the wind... long years numberless as the wings of trees. The days have passed like swift draughts of sweet mead in lofty halls beyond the West, beneath the blue vaults of Varda, wherein, the stars tremble in the song of her voice, wholly and queenly. Who now shall refill the cup for me? - The Lament of Galadriel
fluxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #21
mysterious_2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler65
this is kind of a different topic, but i think a better law would be no law. look at countries which have no drinking age...i do believe they have less drinking issues with kids in these countries.
ya but kids in other countries dont own cars when they turn 16 either Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyoujealous
yeah i saw the guy jerking it in the geo metro, and i couldn't believe my eyes, so i rolled down my window at 70 mph cruising along side of him and te 1st thing that came to my head was: "HEY, YOURE JACKING OFF!!" then the freeway split so i was separated from dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXer
Try peanut butter the next time. They love that ish. Last time I did it, I heard the trap snap before I even left the room.
mysterious_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #22
Ricey McRicerton
Former Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: NC joins the 21 + 8 rule about drinking. Texas, North Dakota and Minnesota chime in (fluxion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxion
i don't see anyone short of a heavy drinkin frat boy dying from alcohol poisoning, newbies would be spilling their guts far in advance trying to consume too much too quick.
Exactly. Most people either pass out or puke before they can get anywhere near alcohol poisoning.
06 VFR800
Ricey McRicerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #23
Phantom
Trial User
Garage is empty, add now

If the person would be stupid enough to try 21 shots in 2 hours the person is almost guaranteed to be irresponsible on future nights. If anything this just prolongs the wait for inevitable consequences.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #24
eL
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Some people are really having a problem understanding what the law is trying to stop.

"just wait 'til the next day!!" ... the thing they're trying to stop is people consuming HUGE amounts of alcohol between 12am-2am, on their birthday.
eL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #25
shadygirl
I luv the Interweb
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: (Phantom)

What's stupid is that by the time we're 21 we've already got ourselves drunk on numerous occasions, so if you're going to kill yourself drinking I don't think age matters. This is stupid.
shadygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
21, 21st, bar, beth, birthday, drink, drinking, law, midnight, nc, night, raleigh, rule, texas, uhas, yahoo