Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Writeup!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:

A lot of people are PM'ing me questions which have already been answered in the article.

Let me clarify a something:

It doesn't matter were you tap or create a port to evacuate the crankcase pressure. On F series, D and H series you can simply tap or weld in extra ports on the Valve cover. The best location to do this is behind a baffle in the valve cover to prevent oil from being splashed in you evacuation line. On b series valve covers they have a OEM baffle in the front. H series don't have this in their valve cover.

What do I recommend:

1) Environmentalist: Slashcut Intake method with no open breather filters on the valve cover.

2) Professional with extra money: Call z10eng and have a custom setup made.

3) Best value for performance and reliability: Slashcut exhaust ventilation. If you run an open downpipe then use 2 slashcut tubes(one in the exhaust, and one in the dumptube) to pull extra vacuum.

Modified by dasher at 10:22 PM 4/4/2005
Old 04-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (.nate)

I see using the slash cut tube method to work fairly well for being a cheap method.

One thing that makes me hesitant to do this is cause every now and then I chek my exhaust to see if there is any oily residue, a good indication of bad or going bad rings.

If U use the tube in the exhaust wouldn't you always have oily residue on the inside of the exhaust and I also could see clouds of blue smoke comeing out from time to time, correct?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see using the slash cut tube method to work fairly well for being a cheap method.

One thing that makes me hesitant to do this is cause every now and then I chek my exhaust to see if there is any oily residue, a good indication of bad or going bad rings.

If U use the tube in the exhaust wouldn't you always have oily residue on the inside of the exhaust and I also could see clouds of blue smoke comeing out from time to time, correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

place a sealed/baffled catchcan inline then.... problem solved.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see using the slash cut tube method to work fairly well for being a cheap method.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing I still need to test on the dyno is if I see power gains by sealing off any extra breather lines going to my stock catchcan. This would generate a larger negative pressure in my crankcase when my exhaust draws vaccum.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dasher)

great post

so the method of using the two ports of the back of the b-series block, and running those to a catch can w/a breather filter on the valve cover.

is the breather filter on the valve cover there to pull fresh air into the block? will you get oil residue soaking the filter and covering the area around it?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speeddave)

great info
Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (speeddave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speeddave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great post

so the method of using the two ports of the back of the b-series block, and running those to a catch can w/a breather filter on the valve cover.

is the breather filter on the valve cover there to pull fresh air into the block? will you get oil residue soaking the filter and covering the area around it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I used a breather filter on my valve cover breather on my valve cover when I used the open catchcan method. No oil residue, the Filter on the catchcan and the filter on the valve cover get dirty and need to be cleaned just like any other K+N filter.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official Crankcase Evacuation thread for Turbo Hondas / PCV / Catchcan / (dasher)

Old 04-05-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: The Official Crankcase Evacuation thread for Turbo Hondas / PCV / Catchcan / (dasher)

hey dasher,

this is a great write-up. i'm going to give the slashcut exhaust method a try. does my pcv valve need to be connected to my IM, or can i just block of the port on the IM and route my breather port on the valve cover and pcv valve together using a tee, then run a single line to my DP? i feel that the routing to the downpipe would be more effective than the dump tube because the dump tube would only be effective when the wastegate opens, while there is always exhaust flowing through the DP, correct? also, would it matter how far down the exhuast i place the slashcut, i'm running straight piping, no cat or resonators.
thanks for putting ur time, money and most importantly, your efforts into these tests.
daniel
Old 04-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: The Official Crankcase Evacuation thread for Turbo Hondas / PCV / Catchcan / (RudeLude)

good work! Thanks for taking the time to share
Old 04-05-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: The Official Crankcase Evacuation thread for Turbo Hondas / PCV / Catchcan / (RudeLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey dasher,

this is a great write-up. i'm going to give the slashcut exhaust method a try. does my pcv valve need to be connected to my IM,</TD></TR></TABLE>
No.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> or can i just block of the port on the IM and route my breather port on the valve cover and pcv valve together using a tee, then run a single line to my DP? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i feel that the routing to the downpipe would be more effective than the dump tube because the dump tube would only be effective when the wastegate opens, while there is always exhaust flowing through the DP, correct? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. But the best option would be to use both like I am.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey dasher,
also, would it matter how far down the exhuast i place the slashcut, i'm running straight piping, no cat or resonators.
l</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would connect it to the downpipe section which is parallel to the ground or immediately after the downpipe.

If you are concerned with oil being sucked into the exhaust then just place a sealed catchcan inline.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If i use a check valve after the PCV valve on the IM to stop boost reaching the crankcase and a check valve to stop exhaust gas entering the crankcase (and missfires) I imagine id have a stop PCV system at idle and cruise, but killer vacuum under boost to help reduce the crankcase pressure and blowby

I like split breather idea, as obviously when your on full boost the WG is open and hence youll get more suction with both pipes. Ideal from a increasing vac with load point of view.

Im deffo gonna try this out. Probably best to have lambda sensor upstream of the exhaust breather too
Old 04-06-2005, 08:41 AM

I would connect it to the downpipe section which is parallel to the ground or immediately after the downpipe.

If you are concerned with oil being sucked into the exhaust then just place a sealed catchcan inline.[/QUOTE]

i'm not worried about oil in the exhaust, that would all be burnt off anyway, i was asking because maybe there would be a vac difference due to flow or temp? just wondering where would be the best area to place the slashcut on the DP or exhaust itself.
thanks, i'll give it a shot maybe this weekend when i get some extra time.
thanks
daniel
Old 04-06-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: The Official Crankcase Evacuation thread for Turbo Hondas / PCV / Catchcan / (JonnyCoupe)

I was going to use the open breather method but how would I do it with the sytle manifold on the D17a2? we have plastic IM's. Here is a diagram of the pcv. where would I connect the 2 hoses that go to the catch can?
Old 04-10-2005, 11:39 AM

Wouldn't running a smaller exhaust or intake create a stronger vacuum due to the faster air flow?

if im right, what size exhaust and intake were you running?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write up..gonna do this soon to my ls
Old 04-10-2005, 07:55 PM

saving this to favorites, this is like key information for everyone.. Thank you for putting this out, should be a sticky
Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (TurboDaveR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboDaveR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't running a smaller exhaust or intake create a stronger vacuum due to the faster air flow?

if im right, what size exhaust and intake were you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was running a 3" exhaust. Keep in mind that I pulled more vacuum from my 3" exhaust than my 1" wastegate dumptube.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Thanks for all the info. It'll be a huge help here very soon.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to have to try this as well.....
Old 04-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info
Old 04-16-2005, 05:08 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Nice magnahelic gauge. We use these to monitor Clean Room positive pressure at work.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great thread!! Someone should make this a sticky.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I think I understand this, let me run this by to make sure....

remove black box (done), plug hole, remove two allen plugs from block, install two honda fittings and gakets/washers, run 5/8 hose from these fittings to a catchcan located where my battery used to be , run a breather filter on the valvecover. Now I'm guessing there are two ways to do the catchcan, have a breather filter on top or run a hose from the top to the exhaust to draw vacume correct? No pcv valve used at all? and thats it?
<U>Parts list</U>
1 plug, 1 catchcan, 2 fittings, 2 washers, some hose and a couple filters + whatever to hook into the exhaust.

would it be bad to also run the valve cover port to the catchcan and have 3 hoses going to the can and one leaving to the exhaust? too much vacum in the engine or would this work?

Quick Reply: The Official Crankcase Evacuation thread for Turbo Hondas / PCV / Catchcan /