Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Down A Couple Cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down A Couple Cylinders?

Well, my fiance's 95 dx has been acting weird. When its cold it drives alright, not the best but alright. When it heats up though it really goes to ****. Seems like it drops 2 cylinders and sounds like a damn harley. (which could be a positive thing lol) ... I pulled the plugs an the 2 on the far left are full of oil. The car also smokes white and/or blue ... MN sucks for early darkness so its hard to see if its just white or blueish white...anyways compression across all cylinders is equal give or take a couple psi. The car will also over heat after its been ebing sluggish.

Ive replaced the thermostat and flushed the coolent due to a previous bad thermostat a few months ago.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:51 AM

white and blue - (sounds like burning some mad oil) could be a bad headgasket whats the actual comprsssion cpt -
Old 03-30-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (b204dr)

I think it was right around 165 across... ..it didnt concern me since they were all near the same....

I thought that it might be the valve seals...but I'm not sure if that would cause the sluggishness and the overheating.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: (CptCorN)

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
New User

If the car overheated previously, I'd check the head gasket. And if the car was overheated, and it was attempted to be turned over, the engine walls may be scorched.

165 doesn't sound like too good of a number (but at least they're consistent) On my stealth I know I wanted to be around 180-190.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (yinlun)

165 seems low. another vote for headgasket.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

and what would explain the excessive amounts of oil on the the plugs on the 2 left side cylinders?

I will check though just to make sure....
Old 03-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely headgastket

and why the plugs on the 2 cyclinders have oil is that the head gasket might have gone bad at those 2 cyclinders only.

to reasure it could be a headgasket:

when my headgasket went i had the same symptoms as your car, runs pretty good when cold but when reaching higher temps my car would not fire in some cylinders.

Also reason for overheating, coolant is getting burnt off so engine does not have enough coolant to cool down.

hope this helps (i've had experience)

oh yah do it your self. you will save tons of money
its just labour intensive
Old 03-30-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: (tony)

(cough)fiance'scar(cough)

Im asking since I found a cheapo d15 longblock... so Ill probably repair it for the hell of it...

Sorry for my stupidness... but if the headgasket went bad on those 2 cylinders ... why is the compression the same across all 4?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 PM

Blown Headgasket dawg, my car drove like ish when I blew mine.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: (4door_ridin)

would it change your ideas if i told you i just drained the fluids...

no oil in teh coolant and no coolant in teh oil?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:36 PM

anyone?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (yinlun)

rod bearings...knocking.

does she change the oil regularly?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: (hybridvteceg)

well i dont know how long its been since she changed the oil... shes had the car for just a bit over a year....

when its cold i do hear a knocking sounds.... i guess i havent expereinced it enough to say its a knock....or recognize what i hear....but it goes away after the car has warmed up a tad (driving for 2 minutes) ....and then teh car acts normal.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:14 AM

bump...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:06 AM

im sticking to bad headgasket- just because the head gasket is blown dosnt mean oil and colant will mix. but you do have a problem with oil and fuel mixing in 2 cylinders- ! the white smoke is going to be from that- thats whats creating the different colored smoke- !
Old 03-31-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Down A Couple Cylinders? (CptCorN)

Wow these E-Mechanics are blowing my mind. "Yo it's your mad Headgasket YO!"

Let's look at this situation:

• The 165 Compression is on par with your engine configuration.
• The oil could merely be leaking passed the Spark Tube Seals when warm.
• Try some new tube seals and new spark plugs.
• Have you done a compression check while the car was warm?
• A compression and leakdown test at any notable mechanics shop will pin-point the problem and soltuion.
• How much oil are your loosing in between stops to fill up with gas?
• Are you loosing any coolant?
• Everytime I've seen a blown headgasket oil mixed with water.
• Do you have any milky looking oil under the oil fill cap or anywhere in the valvecover?

The first thing next to the cylinder walls is the water jacket. So, how could you blow a headgasket then have oil in the cylinder coating the spark-plugs and not have water and oil mix? These guys obviously didn't read your post well.

BTW I usually find the answers to questions posted in this section of Honda-Tech to be useless. Half of the time they are inaccurate assumptions based on hear-say and internet based experiences.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 AM
Gizzo

Default Re: Down A Couple Cylinders? (EG-B20vtec)

[QUOTE=EG-B20vtec]Wow these E-Mechanics are blowing my mind. "Yo it's your mad Headgasket YO!"

AGREED
Most likely not the headgasket. Everyone automatically assumes the head gasket when they really have no idea. Try replacing the valve stem oil seals and see if that gets rid of the oily spark plugs. It's a relatively inexpensive and easy repair. The seals may be leaking so bad that they are drowning the spark, which prevents combustion in the two cylinders and causes the two semi-functional remaining cylinders to work harder. Change the seals, plugs, check coolant, and look around inside the valve cover for anything unusual.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Down A Couple Cylinders? (EG-B20vtec)

Originally Posted by EG-B20vtec
Wow these E-Mechanics are blowing my mind. "Yo it's your mad Headgasket YO!"

Let's look at this situation:

• The 165 Compression is on par with your engine configuration.
• The oil could merely be leaking passed the Spark Tube Seals when warm.
• Try some new tube seals and new spark plugs.
• Have you done a compression check while the car was warm?
• A compression and leakdown test at any notable mechanics shop will pin-point the problem and soltuion.
• How much oil are your loosing in between stops to fill up with gas?
• Are you loosing any coolant?
• Everytime I've seen a blown headgasket oil mixed with water.
• Do you have any milky looking oil under the oil fill cap or anywhere in the valvecover?

The first thing next to the cylinder walls is the water jacket. So, how could you blow a headgasket then have oil in the cylinder coating the spark-plugs and not have water and oil mix? These guys obviously didn't read your post well.

BTW I usually find the answers to questions posted in this section of Honda-Tech to be useless. Half of the time they are inaccurate assumptions based on hear-say and internet based experiences.
I pulled the valve cover off and i think those 2 gaskets maybe bad... there was oil on the gasket where as the other 2 when i pulled the VC it was clean under them.

The car had been running for a bit when the compression test was done, so it wasnt super cold... nor was it super warm by any means.

No oil is lost... infact when i checked it, there was maybe 3/4 quart extra... fiance

The coolant, since I just changed it about a month ago...looks pristine. However, I think because it has been overheating again because of this it boiled a bunch off.

The only milky **** on the valve cover seems to me as normal condensation in the head... none of it is evident anywhere...other then a couple areas on the VC

And about mixing fluids... yes... I dont see how it can be the headgasket and not have mixed fluids... but I rarely deal with this **** so I second guess myself. I'm all about doing **** myself and not bringing it somewhere.

Another thing I must add is... by sluggish... I mean I can put go WOT and the car barely moves... not just...ohhh my *** thinks the car is going slower and running like kinda poop... I would compare this to you running a 100m dash... and then you running the same 100m dash... in water... you're going....but your not going anywhere too quick.

About the leakdown test, Ive ripped the car half apart... So bringing it somewhere at this point is almost out of the question. Im getting a spare motor just incase... I was hoping for more of a specificly vague (haha) answer as to... oh thats definately something wrong with the rings, valve seals etc etc ... something thats not really easy to fix without taking the motor out, but if it was something easy...Id just quickly fix it and be on my way....

My thinking goes like this... It's a lot of work to take the head off... and its a lot of work to take the motor out.... either way... its a lot of work... But if i was 100% sure that it was the headgasket ... Id be willing to just replace that... but I'm no where near convinced it is the headgasket... sure it probably does need replacing since theres 140k on the motor...

Originally Posted by Gizzo

AGREED
Most likely not the headgasket. Everyone automatically assumes the head gasket when they really have no idea. Try replacing the valve stem oil seals and see if that gets rid of the oily spark plugs. It's a relatively inexpensive and easy repair. The seals may be leaking so bad that they are drowning the spark, which prevents combustion in the two cylinders and causes the two semi-functional remaining cylinders to work harder. Change the seals, plugs, check coolant, and look around inside the valve cover for anything unusual.
I should say I have all vaccum, water, hoses off the motor rather than saying its 1/2 torn apart. What's involved with changing the seals...

I'm also thinkin of picking up a rebuilt (so they say) d15b7 and just swapping the motors... that way i can tear this motor apart...and go through it all and actually learn something...rather then point and guessing....along with changing a lot of **** that im not sure will even fix the problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 AM
Gizzo

Default Re: Down A Couple Cylinders? (Gizzo)

Oh yeah, for all the fools who don't think a head gasket can go bad without the coolant and oil mixing: It's very common that the gasket will deteriorate at the thin area between cylinders because that area gets hit the hardest and it's usually the weakest. When it deteriorates far enough, it opens a tiny passageway between two cylinders and allows combustion pressure to escape between them. When one cylinder fires, it can ignite any mixture in the neighboring cylinder and cause an effect most similar to detonation. This causes the engine to work against itself and puts incredible stress on the pistons/rods/pins/rod bearings/crankshaft. However, this would not explain the oil.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:32 AM

Yeah, the oil doesnt look healthy at all .... but it doesnt look like absolute **** nasty coolant mixture... it just looks like dirty dirty oil no bubbles/foaming... Im more concerned about the overfilling of the oil... and the fact that I dont think shes changed the oil once so I'm assuming the worst that its been overfilled for 1 year and 2 months....I asked her and she said she thinks she has changed it.......oh its frustrating....lol
Old 03-31-2005, 07:40 AM
Gizzo

Default Re: Down A Couple Cylinders? (CptCorN)

Well, if the car has been had too much oil in it for that long, the high pressure seals may have been taking on too much stress and started leaking. The oily spark plugs could be unrelated to the major problem you are experiencing now. Many older/high mileage cars have leaky valve seals, but noone notices until something else goes wrong and the engine is looked at.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the insight guys... keep it commin!