Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Ignitor help!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Ignitor help!

Does anyone know where the ignitor wire going to the distributor comes from? 1990 integra b18a1. I think I may have fried it. I got a new distributor after I switched the ignitor wire with another wiring it up and it still won't start. Not getting a spark. And do I have to reset the ecu after installing a new distributor?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Ignitor help!

That post doesn't really make sense, why and how did you switch a single wire ?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea, unclear to me also. 94
Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you hit your head? I had a friend that hit his head real bad and caused him to spit out word salad too. He spent a week in a hospital. They thought it was a stroke.

Really though, what are you asking?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok there are 2 white wires going from the harness to the distributor. One is for a sensor and the other is for the ignitor. I switched the 2 around and tried starting the car and smelt wires burning. I'm assuming i burnt out the ignitor wire somewhere due to the car not starting even with a new distributor. I am not getting spark at all. So what I'm asking is where does the thick white wire coming out of the harness come from? It is the ignitor wire. I'm not sure if there is some type of ignitor output module or relay or what. Maybe it's coming from the ecu? I have no idea.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coltonbarrier
I have no idea.
Ain't that the truth.

Does your Check Engine light stay on all the time when the key is turned to
"II? If so, then congratulations. You just fried your ECU.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no check engine
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no check engine
If it doesn't come on -- ever -- then you've blown a major fuse or you've fried your ECU. Or both.

Why are you randomly swapping wires without having any idea what you're doing? Ever heard of the Magic Smoke? It's essential to the operation of the engine. If you let it out (which you've done already), the car won't run anymore.

Save yourself parts, labor, and cash and get the wiring diagrams. You can get them for $20 from Honda's Techinfo, or you can buy a shop manual from one of the auction sites.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

check the index for : smoke, magic

http://www.spooledupracing.com/downl...fe35926c77d47e

(actually there isnt an index which is kind of a bummer).

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...eshooting.html
Old 12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheRealTegger
Ever heard of the Magic Smoke? It's essential to the operation of the engine. If you let it out (which you've done already), the car won't run anymore.
Btw, its also usually blue.

Also, Wtf were you doing to find yourself doing this? Sounds like you fried the **** out of something, and with a new dizzy, I'm guessing fuse, ecu, or icw ( interconnecting wires).
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok let me explain, a few weeks ago I went to go start my car and it wasn't cranking. So I pulled the starter to get a new one, well when I pulled the starter I accidentally pulled a couple wires out of the distributor plug. I thought I could just wire up the dizzy with no plug. However I didn't realize the dizzy wasn't even ment for the car so none of the wires matched. I spent a week trying to figure out which wires went where. Well I finally figured it out I didn't know I had switched the 2 white wires which apparently happens all the time. When I went to try and start the car again all I got was cranking but no firing. And I smelt burning around the wire going to the distributor. I now have a brand new dizzy, But I am thinking I fried the ignitor wire thats going to the dizzy. I just don't know when the ignitor wires leads to so I can trace it and see if there are any fried spots. Does this make sense? Btw I have no f******* clue what "Magic Smoke" your talking about. Not sure if your just blowing smoke up my *** or using it as a metaphor. I havn't really checked my fuses yet (stupid), there is no check engine at all, and I am not sure what interconnecting wires you are talking about or even what that is? Yes I am a rookie to the honda game but I am never gonna learn without making mistakes.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no f******* clue what "Magic Smoke" your talking about.
When I typed magic smoke into Google, this was the first hit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke
Put two trains traveling in opposite directions on the same track at the same time and bad things will happen. Substitute "electrical current" for "trains" in my example and you have the same situation. That's why you got the Magic Smoke. You need to get some hard information before you damage even more of your property.

I know you're really young, so a lot of your sins can be forgiven due to that fact. I was a kid once too (I'm probably older than your dad), and I also made lots of mistakes. That's partially why I post here, in an attempt to help those going through the same thing I did. But back in the '70s and '80s there was no "Internet", so it was a lot harder to find information BEFORE making dumb mistakes. Plus, like you, I was very inexperienced, lacked the correct tools, and youthful hubris made me ignore or misunderstand advice from those older than me (such as my dad).

I gave you two ways that you can find out exactly where each wire goes and what it does. Plus there's also Google to help you. That you haven't cottoned on to this by now does not augur well for your near-future. Real life is not a "fill your bucket" thing like school is. Mess up in real life and it will hurt, sometimes very badly. You need to grow up a bit more.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch. I thought I was being harsh. Icw is literally exactly that. Wires that connect 2 things together. Check fuses first. Always first. Figuring out where the wires go has 2 options. One, you can follow the wire hand over hand to see where it goes. Or 2 find a wiring diagram. Or you can do both if you have trouble reading the diagram. Fcm knows a lot more about the wires in these cars than I would ever want to, so he would be the best person to ask. But you definitely fried something. Wires can take some damage and still work. Overcurrent included. But it reduces lifetime significantly. Teggers right though, do some reasearch. All the info is out there, and who knows maybe you'll learn enough to troubleshoot your next problem before it happens. Prevention is preferred over repair.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and always disconnect your battery first. i used to be lazy about it til
my coil gave out and i coasted into a kmart parking lot. pulled the dizz to make things a bit easier. dropped it and grounded it out on something and the proverbial magic smoke escaped (no genie with 3 wishes tho). guess i just fried some insulation as it's still going strong a year later but lesson learned. and be on the lookout for said magic smoke when you hook it up again lol.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 PM
fcm
Old Fart

1990 Integra distributor wiring...
Black/yellow-12V switched, [hot in run and start] input to coil secondary and ICM power.

White-ICM ign. input signal, to ECU/ECM, [spilt into ICM1 and ICM2].

Blue- RPM output, tach, tech test connector, cruse control module, A/T control unit and so on.

Orange and white- CYP, both leads to ECU/ECM, CYP P and CYP M.

Orange/blue and white/blue- TDC, both leads to ECU/ECM, TDC P and TDC M.

Blue/green and blue/yellow- CKP, both leads to ECU/ECM,CKP P and CKP M.

All 6 above sensor leads are run inside grounded, [black/red] shielded wiring, [but not their full lenght], the white ign. input lead, [to ICM] is not shielded.

Source Haynes manual 12021, confirmed on ALLDATA, you should get one.94
Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok just to set it straight the black/yellow wire is the "hot wire" giving the dizzy power to fire correct? I checked all fuses and there all good. My check engine light never comes on, even in "II", not sure how to check the ecu. The next step im assuming is tracing back the black/yellow?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:05 AM
fcm
Old Fart

If you have no power on the black/yellow then yes, you need to trace the lead, fuse #24 is the fuse to check, test for power at the fuse when ign. is on. 94
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright will do and Ill post back up my results. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I check the black/yellow as well as fuse 24 and there both good. Full of power. So what should I check next?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:17 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Coil or ICM, [if you have no spark]. 94
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what and where is the icm? I have a brand new distributor so brand new coil.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Icm is in the distrubutor so new distributor=new ignitor
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd double check coil and icm, there's no shortage of craptastic parts out there.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...eshooting.html
Old 12-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright will do thank you
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys, take note the OP reports that his Check Engine light never comes on at all.

His ECU is dead.

Or there's a major fuse that's blown. He probably doesn't know how to check the fuses you can't see through.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignitor help!