Notices

Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1?

I will try and be specific, but keep it short and sweet:
Ive got a JR SCgd B18C1. Stats are here: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/722454

Finally got the car tuned this weekend. Best run was a disappointing 201.8 but this was due to intake temps reaching 200-215 degrees @ 5500RPM from the boost starting to rise from 9-11.5lb boost! With the datalogger, you could see hp and torque drop off drastically with the increased temp. Not sure the best way to solve this prob. I want to run as much boost as I can, but still be efficient on hp and the overall SCgd system. I am thinking about going back to the stock JR alt. stepper pulley to lower the boost a little to keep temps down for now. I have seen where people run water injection with a 50/50 mix of H20 and Methanol and claim that it drastically lowers intake temps. Any ideas??
Old 03-14-2005, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to choose the lesser of 2 evils here, and by that i mean price range.

LHT makes the intercooler for the JR blower.

and the JR has thier own water injection

both are kinda pricey but work like crazy.

i know the feeling, i had one too. on the dyno or strip i use to leave bags of ice layingon the blower and intake pipes just to keep it cool. cause when it got hot you could actually feel the difference in power.

i thought mine were bad at 130 degrees with my turbo! you have the potential to make way more power if you could chill it down a bit
Old 03-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (prennro)

I have the exact same setup and I am also looking to cool intake temps. I know LHT has lowered the price of the intercooler sytem and you can also get the heat exchanger with the system now for much cheaper than before...

I looked at your web page, very clean install of your system and I see you still have A/C... very nice...

Old 03-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

nothing beats a DIY alki/water injection.
http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html
i will be doing this on my NA high compression engine as well as my FI engines.
stan
Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (Stan D)

hondata gasket help alittle
Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (u2civic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u2civic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hondata gasket help alittle</TD></TR></TABLE>

What an idiot........

do the water injection/methanol injection set-up. You can run 100% methanol but might have to lean out your injectors some and you will also need to run a lubricant in the mix such as Klotz or Marvels Mystery oil. Try http://www.alkycontrol.com . I got my set up from him and this guy knows his ****.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (NSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What an idiot........</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats wrong with using a hondata gasket??
Old 03-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (u2civic1)

good suggestion, but im already using one
Old 03-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

thanks for your input, i will add that to my research list. Does this system give any numbers on how much it will decrease?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I will continue to research this. I have had the best reception with this idea. Do you have any numbers on temps before and after with this system? Do you also having it run all the time or set up with hondata to kick in a certain boost levels?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:53 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (prennro)

get/make a 1" phenolic spacer
Old 03-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (stackz)

please excuse my ignorance, but what is that and how does it work
Old 03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What an idiot........</TD></TR></TABLE>
why is he an idiot for suggesting that?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:03 AM
at the jetties fishin'

phenolic spacers are just spacers that go between the intake manifold and cylinder head. They are of varying thicknesses with the average size being about 1" thick or so. They are made of varying materials also. However all have the same function. They are made of a heat absorbing material that will absorb all of the transient heat from the cylinder head that goes into the intake manifold and heats up, which in turn heats up the intake tract and thus the air charge traveling through it.

basically, the phenolic spacer sits between the two and soaks up the engines heat so the intake manifold stays a bit cooler and keeps the air charge a bit cooler.

just another trick that's usually worth a few horsepower .

edit: also great to use if you have an intake manifold that has water ports from the head and you want to block off the water flow in the manifold to keep the hot water out of it and thus keep it colder. Ford 2.3t guys use them for this very effect.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (stackz)

gotcha, im already using a hondata heat shield gasket which sounds like your description!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:19 PM

i used a small shot of nitrous to cool the temps. i used about a 17 shot and gained about 30whp and 30ftlbs.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just re route, your windshield washe hoses to dump water onto the bolwer!!!! hahah J/K.

the alcohol injection seems like a winner!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my check valve for my Aquamist water injection system go bad and drip water/methanol on the blower rotor lobes, neatly cleaning all of the coating off of them right down to bare aluminum. If I did it again I'd pay LHT to put Laminova cores in the intake manifold. No mess, nothing to fill up, just cooler air.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What an idiot........

do the water injection/methanol injection set-up. You can run 100% methanol but might have to lean out your injectors some and you will also need to run a lubricant in the mix such as Klotz or Marvels Mystery oil. Try http://www.alkycontrol.com . I got my set up from him and this guy knows his ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No lube needed with Julio's kit.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (turboEGhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No lube needed with Julio's kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you figure????? Every kit need's the lube......Meth and rubber over time does not mix.

Read up on it.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prennro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info. I will continue to research this. I have had the best reception with this idea. Do you have any numbers on temps before and after with this system? Do you also having it run all the time or set up with hondata to kick in a certain boost levels?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the universal progressive kit, based on MAP, Hondata does not control it. I relocated my batt to the trunk and mounted a GM Truck Washer tank in its place. Talk to Julio if you are interested he is very helpful and will answer all of your questions. Also, look on the Turbo Buick forums. These guys run 22+PSI on the street with pump gas and alky injection. Julio(the guy who owns alkycontrol) board name is Razor and is on there all the time. Ask those guys how they like it and rate his customer service. That ******* Hondata gasket is a waste, save your money and get something that has proven to work and give some real H.P. numbers!!

Old 03-14-2005, 05:36 PM

How do you figure????? Every kit need's the lube......Meth and rubber over time does not mix.

Read up on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I run this kit. Julio told me not to run lube in it. The SMC, etc, kits use a different style of pump where you need lube, Julio's does not.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (turboEGhatch)

Paul,
hope you'll find out how to get that temperature down

... I'll go to beat the **** of my turbo on the road now ... biiiiig fun
Miro
Old 03-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (miro_gt)

The Hondata gasket does help a little, but when you get the boost around 10-11 psi the discharge temps on the blower are higher than the cylinder head ( 250 +).

We just tuned a B16A with one our intercoolers with ambiant temp water and it held 170 IAT at 9 psi on the dyno. It only made 238whp but was pretty much stock except the blower.

We do more custom turbocharging then superchargers these days, but I have still yet to see anything be as effective and power producing as our intercoolers.
I still love a good running supercharged honda!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1? (CRVRX)

have the map of that b16a???? I have a LHT jrsc'd b16a

Quick Reply: Any Ideas on how to cool Intake Temp of Supercharged B18C1?