Notices

Alrighty Modifying seat brackets to fit a different model!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alrighty Modifying seat brackets to fit a different model!!! HELP!!!

Ok I know stuff like this is possible, I watched an episode of pimp my ride where dude from WCC took a racing seat and cut the upper half and welded it to the frame of the stock seat so it would sit lower and still retain its relining feature... However im not looking to do that, my project is a bit different.

I am going to attempt to stick RSX seats in my 99 ek and I know the seat brackets are not interchangable. So I have a few questions as to the methods of madness I should attempt for this fun project.

<FONT COLOR="red">METHOND NUMBER ONE:</FONT>
Which theoretically seems like the best and easiest way to accomplish this task... Since the brackets from my seats that fit now could be removed and added to a new chair to fit fine in my car, say I remove mine and try to put them on the rsx seats.
Problem is the dimensions as far as width might be a bit different so there is a possibility that I could permanently **** up the seat by doing this if it ends up being to wide and I have to make custom brackets ANYWAY!!!

<FONT COLOR="blue">METHOD NUMBER TWO</FONT>:
Im assuming that there is some way for me to dismantle the seats sliders since there obviously was some way for them to be put together there has to be a way for them to be taken apart. Im assuming if this is possible just to remove the sliders from my current seats and add them to the new seats, but the possibility of the brackets still not lining up due to seat dimensions still exists.

<FONT COLOR="purple">METHOD NUMBER THREE</FONT>
Another thing I saw mentioned somewhere else was removing the floor pan from my existing seat and adding it to the rsx seat... someone said that the holes dont line up or it doesnt fir right. Im wondering if the bolts dont line up, whats it hurt to WELD the seat pan to the new seat?!?!?!

Finally
<FONT COLOR="orange">METHOND NUMBER FOUR</FONT>
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1167520

Pretty much do what this kid did.

Originally Posted by lkailburn
hey guys im not sure if i ever posted my front seats but i finished the rears about 3 months ago and never got around to posting them so i'll just include both in this how-to

for the front seats:

materials:

3/16" x 3" steel-- very thick and very heavy stuff!
nuts, bolts washers -- i'm going to have the peices welded on instead of bolted on in the near future
cobalt drill bit(meant for hard metals)
drill press--doing it with a hand drill takes atleast 5 times as long!! i know cuz i did two brackets that way then used my drill press
disc grinder/cutting tool to cut off rivets
basic socket wrench set
lots of time brainstorming and then lots more time for fabrication and even more time for tweeking

-the drivers rear left bracket and the passengers rear right bracket must be cut off and a new bracket has to be made. here you can see the old bracket cut off and then the new one that i made

for the rest of the corners i simply made 'extension brackets' that allowed me to bolt em to the oem holes.
-to design the 'extension brackets' i simply cut out cardboard templates and held them inplace and marked where the two holes would have to be
here are the "extension brackets"

driver seat

front left:

front right

rear

passenger seat

front left

front right:bolted into oem hole. this pulls the seat closer to the door but still very comfortabl. i was just too lazy to change it to how the driver side is

rear

NOTE: Don't forget to swap over the stock seat belt clicker thing

-when i get my welder im going to take the brackets all out, round off the edges and then weld them in place and paint em black to blend in.
So if anyone would love to chime into my thread and give me some idea's as to how I should go about this I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Alrighty Modifying seat brackets to fit a different model!!! HELP!!! (137)

those pictures look scary. Seat mounting is not something I would want to half ***.

Sorry I can't help much, but I would advise just diving in and seeing how far off the sliders are from eachother and go from there.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Alrighty Modifying seat brackets to fit a different model!!! HELP!!! (743power)

looks as though from that other kids post that almost all of the mounting points will have to some how be extended, at least on the driver side? If thats the case, i would try to either use the lower portion from your seat you have now and try to some how make it fit onto the RSX seat OR try to get the sliders from the RSX to fit onto the mounting brackets from your EK. I know, sounds easier said than done, but i personally wouldn't want to rig something like that up with drilling new holes in some metal and not having it be straight on to the steering wheel in the factory position. He said it hugs the door more so, but still feels comfortable, so i don't know.

i can't remember the members name, but he had a white GSR that was boosted (think his name had Drag in it), anyways, he put RSX seats in his teg, so if you found him he might be able to help somehow... not much help on my side though as i haven't done much of the seat alterations or swapping.. Good luck though man, remember, safety first
Old 03-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alrighty Modifying seat brackets to fit a different model!!! HELP!!! (Thurman Merman)

exactly... im freakin out man
Old 03-17-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Alrighty Modifying seat brackets to fit a different model!!! HELP!!! (137)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 137 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">exactly... im freakin out man </TD></TR></TABLE>

5 word response to my novel.. how weak
Old 03-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alrighty Modifying seat brackets to fit a different model!!! HELP!!! (Thurman Merman)

i think another solution is to get rid of the oem brackets and weld an aftermarket seating bracket to the oem sliders... but I dont know how strong those welds would be if an accident were to occur.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wedge in LB can make brackets. Doesn't look extremely safe...but i guess it gets the job done....nice DIY!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jarelee)

i think im going to modify the seats anyway for them to sit lower... move up the mounting point for the oem brackets
Old 04-05-2005, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jarelee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jarelee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wedge in LB can make brackets. Doesn't look extremely safe...but i guess it gets the job done....nice DIY!</TD></TR></TABLE>

wedge can make new brackets but it will raise the seat height, judging from this kids lack of creativity and willingness to dismantle the seats it seems that the sliders on these seats are a great deal bigger than the sliders on the ek seats so I cant use those rails.

What ill have to do is just remove the parts that are on there now and extend them to fit the holes they need to, I may have to tear apart the mounting brackets for my ek seats too for this to work right.