Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installed H&R sports - bleh

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed H&R sports - bleh

I got tired of my stock springs ruining my quarter mile times so I decided to upgrade. I bought some H&R sports because they seemed to be well liked and they were only $130.

Anyway, I slapped them on my 98 Ex coupe yesterday. Eh. They basically ride like stock. Don't get me wrong, they DEFINITELY make shifting faster, but aside from that, they feel stock.

It's nice still being able to conquer speedbumps at 60mph like I always do, but I know I'll want something stiffer in the future. That is, whenever I feel like burning another 4 hours to swap springs again.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:07 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (JRciv)

Uh, dude, they are supposed to feel like stock.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uh, dude, they are supposed to feel like stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

apparently not researched enough to know the end result. enjoy the h&r
Old 03-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (litterbox)

Are you sure the h&r sports are supposed to "feel" like stock, they have an OE model for that; tho the sports cedrtainly drop the car a bit.

I wanted some relatively stiffer than stock springs, but they always seem to dump the car. I'm satified with my sports coupled with my koni yellows for now tho. But how about sombody make to good stiff springs that don't slam the car. Not everyone wants to deal with coilovers.

d
Old 03-16-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (daver)

^^^At least someone knows what they're talking about.

We pretty much have the same views too. I definitely like how the car sits. It's lowered just enough. But the springs are still not stiff enough. And I didn't want to get the race springs because they totally slam the car. And even at stock ride height my tie bar and headers ocasionally scrape.

H&R should add a fourth spring line:

OE Sport - stock replacement
Sport - moderately lowered ride height but weak springs
Proposed spring - same ride height as Sport, but same stiffness as Race
Race - Slams car/super stiff

I just want a stiff spring without having to dick around with camber.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh

how are the H&R Race edition? 2.5F 2.25R? anybody have/heard about those? & some good shocks/struts to go with them.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (deLsoL7)

I think with the Race springs the drop is just too low. If you see a car with them, the stock tires are jammed up into the fender. I don't even think you can put 17" rims on with those springs.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any pics?

I'm thinking about getting them for my car (95 coupe) and I've been looking for pictures of them before I buy them.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (BS 22)

Eibach Pros? My friend has them, and his car isnt slammed. As a matter of fact, he wants to buy new springs to go lower.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (B16aDasher)

well if you still have your stock struts then thats going to play into how the car feels. but you can prolly say goodbye to them.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Im right there with ya JRciv. Ive benn having the hardest time deciding which springs to run on my new setup cause everything that has a decent spring rate has a drop thats just way to low. And the springs that have the drop I want have weak rates. And I want to stay as far away from coilovers as I can. My current setup is H&R full threaded coilovers and im just done with that stuff. So far ITR springs are looking good...now just to find someone that has a set.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (CerealWars)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CerealWars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im right there with ya JRciv. Ive benn having the hardest time deciding which springs to run on my new setup cause everything that has a decent spring rate has a drop thats just way to low. And the springs that have the drop I want have weak rates. And I want to stay as far away from coilovers as I can. My current setup is H&R full threaded coilovers and im just done with that stuff. So far ITR springs are looking good...now just to find someone that has a set.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What spring rates are you looking for?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (B16aDasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16aDasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What spring rates are you looking for?</TD></TR></TABLE>Fronts to be around 260-300 if there progressive and the rears to be 220-250 progressive. The ITR has the fronts at 250 linear and the rears at 250 progressive.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:16 PM

I agree, they are way too soft, and considering they are rated @ 330F/280R progressive, one wouldn't think they would be quite noticablely stiffer then stock, but they are not

I am going with ground control's now, with a stiff spring
Old 03-16-2005, 01:24 PM

get adj struts. im runnin agx's with h&r sport springs. much better handling. can dampen it for daily and stiffen it for race. def upgrade feel from stock.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:25 PM

I agree, they are way too soft, and considering they are rated @ 330F/280R progressive, one wouldn't think they would be too soft, but they are...very soft

I am going with ground control's now, with a stiff spring
Old 03-16-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (Leb_CRX)

I guess you're one of those people that likes to hit their heads on the roof when they go over slight bumps in the road. I have the sports and agx's and they are perfect for daily driving and going to the track every once and a while. If you are running the stock shocks you aren't going to get great performance out them or any other spring for that matter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't get me wrong, they DEFINITELY make shifting faster, but aside from that, they feel stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And on a side note, how do springs make you shift faster?? I never heard that in my life. They help with wheel hop when you're running the quarter.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (95excoupe)

I have adjustable Tokico shocks, H&R race springs with seventeen inch wheels. The ride is awesome. The car is really stiff now, but I like it that way. The wheels do not tuck under the fenders. They line up with the fenders perfectly. The right suspension setup makes all the difference in the world.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (SweetSol)

You can get Ground Control coilovers that will offer a similar drop as the Sports, and can get any springrate you want for them.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed H&R sports - bleh (Mario.)

IMO i guess i am one of the only people here that doesnt want a super stiff spring on a daily driver.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your struts are the reason they are still soft. Get some koni yellows and put them on the stiffest setting you should enjoy that.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: (VtecAddict96)

Get stiffer or adjustable shocks... that's your problem. I have H&R sports springs and when I have my Tokico Illuminas set to the lowest settings it rides like stock, but when I set them to the highest settings it's very stiff.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole idea for the sports is for them to be coupled with adjustable damping shocks (ie yellows that are the same as their cup kit), that way you can have a different set of ride, depending on where you are (track, street, etc).
Old 03-16-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

not true

I am riding on yellows, and even full stiff, they are soft as hell

but what you might consider stiff is probally nowhere near what I consider stiff
Old 03-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Leb_CRX)

I have H&R Sports and KYB AGX adjustable shocks..

I bought this combo thinking that it would be a perfect balance between ride quality, looks, and handling...and that's EXACTLY what I got.

The ride is nice and soft, yet the chassis hugs the tires, steering is responsive, the car handles VERRRY well (i have a mugen style front strut bar, rear GSR sway bar, rear lower tie bar as well).

If you wanted some stiff spring for the track then you bought the wrong product.

For you, I would suggest Omnipower sport full coilovers.

Quick Reply: Installed H&R sports - bleh