Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Article: How not to get your car stolen

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Article: How not to get your car stolen

This is a rough draft of an article I'm writing on how to modify your car alarm installation to make it much much more effective at preventing theft. Even though it's a rough draft, it's very nearly complete. All intelligent comments welcome.

http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/

Modified by suspendedHatch at 1:55 AM 4/26/2006
Old 03-05-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen (shaundrake)

great job
Old 03-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, for all the cars that get stolen, not many people seem interested on preventing it. Hm. Sounds like a correlation.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. Adding it to my collection of favorites
Old 03-17-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen (chowmien)

Hey yo, if you dont mind, im dropping this link off to a lot of people, I appreciate this link, i saw it on your signature in another post.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:19 PM

hey thats a good article, covered many other things i didnt realize. im going to try installing the alarm myself now instead of having circuit city or whatever do it.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (motive_)

Yeah please, pass it around. I don't get anything out of this except the satisfaction of denying a ******* thief his income. It doesn't cost me anything. I'm trying to come up with more stuff and I'm going to fill out some of the stuff in more detail.

Would some more basic information help, like a detailed step by step how to crimp with sequential pics? Or would that be overkill? Any requests for some very basic help? I want to make this accessible to everyone. Getting charged $$$ for a very basic (ineffective) alarm installation is a type of theft IMO.

Does someone want to do a how-to secure your car stereo? I want to include that in the site. I could learn something.

Anyone near zip code 92114 and needs help, hit me up.

Modified by suspendedHatch at 1:56 AM 4/26/2006
Old 03-21-2005, 01:19 PM

:
Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GREAT website, loved every word of it. I emailed the link to quite a few friends of mine that are....uh, let's just say they DO care about their car.

Added: This should also be stickied to the top of this page!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 AM

That was a nice write up. I will definately reference back to it when I install my alarm. Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen ('00 SOHC)

nice write up.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen (herbNdrumz)

Outstanding right up. I really need to get my **** together and upgrade my alarm. I never knew converting from manual to automatic doorlocks for the alarm was so easy. I'll definitely be doing that now.

Only suggestion I have is to NOT USE WIRE CRIMPS. They can corrode and come apart. Wires should be solder for better, cleaner connections. It is soooo easy to properly solder and then use heatshrink over the connections. And believe me, I hate doing any thing electrical or messing with wiring. So if I think its easy than any one can do it! =]
Old 03-22-2005, 12:33 PM

This is a great post if there ever was one. I registered for H-T just so I could thank you for putting up this info. My car was stolen last week and now I can see all the mistakes that I made in not securing my car. I can now breathe easier when/if I get a new car and apply all these measures listed above.

One addition that I would like to see if possible is pictures or at least a diagram to describe the "anti-slim jim" technique inside the door. Does the sheet metal go the length of the bar? And also how do you mount this sheet metal?
Old 03-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen (FairlightRacing)

Sorry I've been out of town. I went out to the east coast to check out NYC, DC, Baltimore etc. Now I'm back west and enjoying the 80 degree weather. On my next day off I plan to flush out the Anti-Slim Jim section which could use a better title. I have to borrow the digital camera but first I think I have to find a battery charger since the puppy my ruca was babysitting chew it up.

I've been fighting down the urge modernize the page. All it needs is a stolen "under construction" image, some crappy little animated gifs, and a list of dead links! The DIY look of the page fits the theme at least and I can concentrate on the content rather than the presentation. If you're curious though, have a look at the source code. You'll see I've put a little bit of thought into the stylesheet and that despite appearances, I didn't use no shitty Front Page. I use the highly sophisticated Notepad exclusively for all my HTML/CSS shenanigans.

As for soldering, I wont deny that soldering makes the best theoretical connection. But in practice, soldered connections throw up red flags when I see them. If the wire is flexed enough times, the solder can crack apart. You really have to be an expert to make a good connection, and it's something that should be done on a workbench, not when you're sticking your head under the dash. You don't want to be holding a soldering pencil in a tight spot behind the cluster. On the other hand, a beginner can make a butt connection that is the functional equivalent to an experts soldered connection. Butt connections are cheap, easy, fast, convenient and practical. A good soldering tool, a spool of solder, and the grease cost a little more than a set of crimpers and butt connectors. A good butt crimp consists of a noninsulated butt connector crimped over evenly, with the two wires actually in contact, and with heat shrink over it, then tucked into a split loom that is wrapped in electric tape. Insulated butt connectors are fine but should be wrapped in electric tape to prevent shorting and contamination. After you make the crimp, tug on the wire to make sure it doesn't slip inside the butt connector.

If soldering works for you then by all means, continue doing it! However I don't intend to include it on my site because it is just too difficult to teach, and in fact, I'm not all that good at it.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen

Excellent info, shaundrake! Here are some of my opinions on the subject of car alarms and auto security...

It strikes a nerve when I hear people say that alarms and auto security measures are "a huge waste" because if a thief wanted your vehicle bad enough, they are going to get into it or steal it no matter what. If all people applied this retarded logic to security measures in general, then they would be disregarding the usefulness of security guards, fences and walls, or even locks. For instance, I notice that alot of jewelry stores have armed guard(s) standing by the door. If you think about it, a hoard of thugs could just storm the store, overtake the guard, and rob the store blind. Does that mean that the store is wasting their money with a guard? I think not! The guard acts as a major deterrent. Also, if someone decided to rob the store anyways, a well-trained guard actually might even thwart the robbery. Go figure! This same scenario could be easily be applied to alarms and auto security measures. To the smartasses who are going to reply with the phrase "tow truck": not every car thief is an experienced renegade repo man driving around in a flat bed or tow truck. However, if that is the case where you live, then you should seriously consider moving!

I've heard people say don't bother with an alarm, just spend the money on alot of insurance. These people are fooling themselves in thinking that the insurance companies will instantly cut them a reimbursement check. There is alot of red tape you have to go through. When or even if you are compensated, you still have to deal with the hassle of repairing the vehicle and/or replacing your car and being without a vehicle for a while. And if you modded the vehicle yourself, as I have, the insurance company is certainly not going to compensate you for your labor. Anything you can do to reduce the likelihood of having to go through this frustrating situation and feeling violated is worth it in my book.

The most common criticism people have of alarms is that nobody pays attention to sirens going off anymore. This holds true in alot of situations, but certainly not all. For instance, in a quiet residential neighborhood where people tend look out for one another, alarms probably would not go unnoticed. Most importantly, one would not ignore their own sirens going off if their vehicle was parked within earshot of the siren. Think about this...If your park your car outside your house and you don't have an audible alarm, a thief can unnoticably break into, ramsack, or even steal your vehicle while you are inside your house enjoying a quiet evening with family. An alarm system can be equipped with a paging system, so one does not even have to hear the siren to know of an intrusion into their vehicle. Top end cellular/GPS systems will even allow you to track your stolen vehicle online.

Finally, alarm systems don't really cost alot of money, especially in relation to the total cost of mods most people put into their vehicles. A good basic system can be had for around $300-500 installed, which is little in relation to the total cost of a vehicle+mods. Yet some people still won't consider getting one for the reasons described above, among others.

Here is a story to ponder...
My brother spent over $10,000 modifying his '94 Honda Civic sedan but literally did not spend a single penny, not one, on any additional auto security. He now regrets it very much. His car was quietly stolen, while he was home, only a few feet away from his front door. This happened in a highly upscale and gated apt complex in the suburbs.

Modified by kontai69 at 8:52 AM 4/22/2005
Old 03-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen (kontai69)

You make some excellent points. In fact, that is information I wanted to include in the site, but it just ends up being too much to read. As you can see, my site is already long and wordy. I'll be looking for ways to trim it down further even as I add new content.

I agree with you 100% on car insurance. I don't know how things are elsewhere, but in CA where insurance is mandatory, the insurance companies have become a total joke. They simply refuse to pay the claims. That's their whole point of existence. I'm involved with 21st Century right now. Their client Tboned my car, and they're holding me 50% liable. It's partly my fault for being born. Two other companies reviewed the case and found their client to be at fault, but my company negotiated to 50% w/out consulting me. Then I don't hear from 21st for 4 months. Apparently they'll get back to you in 21 Centuries. Finally after calling every supervisor up the ladder, I get a call that they want to inspect the damage. Wouldn't you know it? Their estimate is less than half the cost of what the other two companies, Wawanesa and Scottsdale found. They want to give me about what my car insurance costs me a few months.

Their is also a definate moral question when you say, "its okay for thieves to steal my car cuz I have insurance." Why not legalize car theft then? Ever been in a situation where getting stranded would not be so convenient? Anyone who's been through this would never make such an ignorant statement. You'd remember how bad your ******* burned after being taken advantage of by your own company. In some policies, I've seen that they wont pay if the thief cannot be identified. They say the same thing in their uninsured motorist policies, rendering them essentially useless. Might as well buy meteor insurance.

I say nationalize car insurance if you're going to make it mandatory. At least provide a publicly funded alternative. It's a crime not to.

Sirens do help even if people ignore them most of the time. Not to mention that the siren is only one feature of the alarm.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another tool one might want to purchase is one of those cheaper ratchet type crimpers. They sell them at Pep Boys for under 30 bucks, and it's quite good. I'd say 95% of the crimps I make using that type are tight.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen (MestizoRacer310)

New layout. Check it out.

I'm looking for info on newer Civics since those are the ones that get stolen more often. Wire colors, wire locations, and pics would be great. If you live in SD, bring your car by.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:55 PM

Nice layout. What you say in the beginning is pretty true, but im not sure many theives'll get to that page. At least I hope not.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it!! So many good ideas in this write up.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i read the entire thing great ideas!!!!!!! great write-up wish i had done thise 2 weeks early as now i have no hatch left or at least i wouldn't call it a hatch
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1208364
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Article: How not to get your car stolen (OrangeCiviC251)

Damn homey, they stole your paint too!!

Modified by shaundrake at 9:08 PM 4/13/2005
Old 04-21-2005, 04:53 PM

AWESOME!! Got few of those already and more to come
Old 04-21-2005, 09:10 PM

dude ive read a few about car theft and all... but yours is THE BEST ive read yet on the prevention and all... i have to tell the guys at my school about your thread and all.... thats all i have to say man great job keep up the good work man....
Old 04-23-2005, 09:53 AM

wow i give that article an A++++++

Quick Reply: Article: How not to get your car stolen