Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Oil brand opinion

Old 01-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Oil brand opinion

Right now I am using Mobile 1 full synthetic oil for my 99 civic ex. Will Penzoil Performax synthetic motor oil do about the same? I am just asking because $5 a quart gets expensive:-/. or is there a different type of oil that is really good? any info would be helpful.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (silentblackhat)

just stay with mobil 1... whats more expensive, a new engine or 25 bucks every 5k miles
Old 01-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use mobile one as well...it's a great oil a lil expensive but worth it
Old 01-16-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (slowdx9585)

i use mobil 1 also, no complaints
Old 01-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (99hatch)

if you dont want to continue spending the $$ for synthetic, then you might want to consider a high mileage oil such as castrol or chevron.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (ejprimo)

what oil is good for turbo applications?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (vsm98civic)

I use Castrol Synthetic Blend for my car.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (slambedcivic)

would u really do it every 5K? i know changing the oil is a big part of the engine lasting long but i was thinking every 3K miles? i know the manual says a lot longer till an oil cahnge is needed but i surely wouldnt wait that long. i think it says every 7500 miles or 2 times a year or somethin likethat. my car is a daily driver and doesnt race at all, its all stock everything

also a side question...i know iv seen accords with like over 350K miles. would my car be able to go that far also? i know hondas last forever but i was wondring what ppl thought a 99 civic could go for, how long i mean. i almost bought a 93 accord from a guy that his parents had a wagon that had over 500K miles on it so they just gave it away.

Modified by silentblackhat at 1:10 PM 1/16/2005
Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silentblackhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would u really do it every 5K? i know changing the oil is a big part of the engine lasting long but i was thinking every 3K miles?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Changing a fully synthetic oil every 3000 miles is overkill and a waste of money. If you're going to change every 3000, then you might as well save yourself some cash and start using natural oil. Extended change intervals are one of the main benefits of using synthetic.

If you continue using a fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1, 5000 mile change intervals are perfectly fine. I'd make sure to use a good high quality filter though, such as Toyo Roki or Wix.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know the manual says a lot longer till an oil cahnge is needed but i surely wouldnt wait that long. i think it says every 7500 miles or 2 times a year or somethin like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
7500 miles is the "light duty" change interval. Under more strenuous conditions (which is the case for the majority of Civic drivers), the manual suggests changing it sooner. I forget the exact wording; go read it again if you want to know.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:25 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silentblackhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also a side question...i know iv seen accords with like over 350K miles. would my car be able to go that far also? i know hondas last forever but i was wondring what ppl thought a 99 civic could go for, how long i mean. i almost bought a 93 accord from a guy that his parents had a wagon that had over 500K miles on it so they just gave it away.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It all depends on how well you take care of it - regular maintenance and TLC are important. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Sometimes **** happens though; stuff breaks.

My CRX track car has 240,000 miles on its original drivetrain and still running strong. It leaks a bit of oil, but that's nothing a new oil pan gasket won't fix. Burns some oil too, but not a lot unless I am running hard at the track (which is normal). Tranny will be needing a rebuild soon because of abuse at the track though. I am also looking into an engine rebuild to ITA specs by SBMS, but that won't be for a while yet because I am broke and the current engine still runs fine and suits my needs.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really hope that your engine is not stock. Becuase otherwise it is a waste of money to use synthics on a stock engine. IMHO.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (allmotorEG-SI)

why is it a waste on a stock engine? i have stock everything, the only thing iv done to the car is put my alpine sound system in it. im not looking to make it a racecar or anything im just wondering what the best is for my car becasue im keepin it till it craps out, or i hope. im gonito take really good car of it. the first week when igot it i changed the oil(put mobile 1 in it), changed out all the brake fluid in the lines with honda brake fluid, flushed the radiator and put honda coolant in it(type 2 i think it is), 'flushed' the power steering system and put honda steering fluid in it, asjusted the valves. i havnt checked the fuel filter tho yet but i might do that in a few days
Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its overkill
i stock engine, especially most modern ones, are advanced enough that the extra lubrication isn't required. the difference it would make is minimal at best. maybe 10-15 years down the line it might pay off. But the average time most people keep a car is 5 years. its lubricating power is really only helpful on a powerfull engine, like one thats heavly modded, a big v-8, forced induction. things of that nature. otherwise its not really worth the money.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Changing a fully synthetic oil every 3000 miles is overkill and a waste of money. If you're going to change every 3000, then you might as well save yourself some cash and start using natural oil. Extended change intervals are one of the main benefits of using synthetic.

If you continue using a fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1, 5000 mile change intervals are perfectly fine. I'd make sure to use a good high quality filter though, such as Toyo Roki or Wix.

7500 miles is the "light duty" change interval. Under more strenuous conditions (which is the case for the majority of Civic drivers), the manual suggests changing it sooner. I forget the exact wording; go read it again if you want to know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

such bad info your spreading...the detergents in synthetics last no longer than in regular oils....
3000 miles, mobile 1, good filter thats what everybody should do if your car is modified
if you want you motor
Old 01-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (DaZman69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaZman69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

such bad info your spreading...the detergents in synthetics last no longer than in regular oils....
3000 miles, mobile 1, good filter thats what everybody should do if your car is modified
if you want you motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all that is a very hard statement to understand, please develope your grammer skills befor telling others they are wrong. But from what I coud decypher from that, a modifed engine does need a better oil. I agree with you. But a stock one works just fine with standard oil.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (allmotorEG-SI)

I had to leave so i just hit the post button before i finished writing...

Any stock engine can benefit from synthetic, but I personally dont think the benefits outweigh the cost.

Anyway mobile 1 will tell you that you can go 15,000 miles without an oil change, which is complete bs. All this information I'm giving is from somebody that works for them.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:38 PM

Castrol Synthetic Blend
Old 01-16-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (BrianHinson)

I've done tons and tons of research on oil, mobile 1 is what I use.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (allmotorEG-SI)

well im keeping my<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorEG-SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe 10-15 years down the line it might pay off. But the average time most people keep a car is 5 years. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i said that i was going to keep the car as long as i could. im not really into getting new cars all the time. i got a honda because i wanted a car that would last a long time so i coul have this car a long time. what would be the next best thing to mobile 1?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: (silentblackhat)

mobil 1 all the way. Go and try to do an oil change with natural oil in this cold. will take half a day for that quart to head down.

Mobil 1 is still pourable even in the cold. I just read a nice article about Mobil 1 because its an anniversary. They are always ahead of the curve with mobil 1.

Redline can be better with certain applications, same with Amsoil, but mobil 1 is the best off the shelf synthetic.

I trust it, i use it in all my cars.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (silentblackhat)

Castrol Synthetic Blend

Or you can always go to Wal-Mart and pick up the SuperTech FULL SYNTHETIC!!! It is like 2.30$ a quart. Not to jack the thread but maybe someone with experience with it could shed some light on that...
Old 01-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need Oil brand opinion (DaZman69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaZman69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had to leave so i just hit the post button before i finished writing...

Any stock engine can benefit from synthetic, but I personally dont think the benefits outweigh the cost.

Anyway mobile 1 will tell you that you can go 15,000 miles without an oil change, which is complete bs. All this information I'm giving is from somebody that works for them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Newer Benz's, Bimmer, and other european cars often go 10kmi+ on synthetic oil. On my old accord, i changed my oil with mobil1 on the regular maintenance schedule (7500mi) and had 0 problems for over 150kmi.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:29 PM
be professional

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mobil 1 all the way. Go and try to do an oil change with natural oil in this cold. will take half a day for that quart to head down.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I had no problem pouring 5w-30 Castrol GTX into the CRX this morning . . .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Newer Benz's, Bimmer, and other european cars often go 10kmi+ on synthetic oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Keep in mind though that those cars also have gigantic oil sumps (as in 7-8 quarts). D-series Civics take less than 4 quarts . . .
Old 01-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I had no problem pouring 5w-30 Castrol GTX into the CRX this morning . . .

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well.....thats cause..... of those damn tropical temperatures in pitt......
Old 01-16-2005, 08:50 PM

if you are already using Mobil 1, stick with it. synthetic oil is much better for any car, whether it is stock or not. As far as cost. just start buying it in the big jugs and that will cut the costs down a little. just use Mobil 1 oil and a good filter (i.e not fram) And you don't need to change your oil every 3000 miles with synthetic, although you can't change it too often, but 5000-6000 mile is fine. Mobil 1 is good oil, and remeber the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Oil brand opinion