Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Phantom Grip Lsd ratings......

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phantom Grip Lsd ratings......

So does anyone here have a Phantom Grip Lsd or know someone who's got one? I was just wondering if anyone's got actual experience with one. I hear alot of people say bad things about it but it's just what they hear as well. I want to convert my tranny to an lsd tranny(preferrably and lsd differential) but I dont know where to get one for a good deal and dont have enough for a Quaiffe, does anyone know where they sell jdm lsd differentials for a good price? Or lsd trannys?
Old 10-03-2004, 04:40 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Phantom Grip Lsd ratings...... (frostee)

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

type in "Phantom grip" right under "Search For" and click on archived content under Data Set

next time j00 will get PWNED!
Old 10-03-2004, 04:49 AM
space cadet

Default Re: Phantom Grip Lsd ratings...... (Sticky Tires)

dude, dont listen to peter, he is such an *** sometimes.

check this one.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=979961
Old 10-03-2004, 04:53 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Phantom Grip Lsd ratings...... (Shakes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shakes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, dont listen to peter, he is such an *** sometimes.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, I was going to link that thread, but I thought this guy is smart enough to figure out what I told him to do.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:09 AM

hey man I have a lsd and I love it. the thing works great. you can try summit racing or nopi for the lsd it should be around $300
Old 10-03-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Phantom Grip Lsd ratings...... (kentuckyprelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kentuckyprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man I have a lsd and I love it. the thing works great. you can try summit racing or nopi for the lsd it should be around $300</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are your mods and how do you drive/race your car so that you know this LSD works great?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Phantom Grip Lsd ratings...... (LudeyKrus)

I would save your money and get a Quaife. http://www.kteller.com has them for a good price! The Phantom Grip isn't a true LSD.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not like it hasn't been said before, about 100,000,000 times, but the random grip is a piece of **** "LSD".

unless you like tearing apart your tranny every 6 months to replace the unit, it's better to go with quaife.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not like it hasn't been said before, about 100,000,000 times, but the random grip is a piece of **** "LSD".

unless you like tearing apart your tranny every 6 months to replace the unit, it's better to go with quaife.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have personal experience w/ the Phantom Grip?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: (LudeyKrus)

I have a Phantom in my GSR tranny. It works fine to me. I have 244 hp.

Also, everyone is always telling people to use the search button. I can be certain that just about every topic has been covered, so if everyone used the search button all the time. THere would not be much a reason to come to honda-tech anymore, because there would never be new post. So instead of acting like dicks all the time. Just trying to help people out. Thats what we are here for.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (Power Rev Racing)

[QUOTE=Power Rev Racing]I have a Phantom in my GSR tranny. It works fine to me. I have 244 hp.
[QUOTE]

O yeah, i forgot to say that my motor is a b16, so i only made 144 tq.
So i guess that dosent really prove a phantom to be good. LOL

Modified by Power Rev Racing at 3:27 PM 10/4/2004
Old 10-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudeyKrus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeyKrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you have personal experience w/ the Phantom Grip?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've ridden in cars with a phantom grip.

it was like it wasn't even there. but then again, i don't need to really ride in a car with a PG to know that the design is ****. C'mon, using springs that bind the spider gears in an OE diff? If we lived in an academic world with no such thing as friction, deformation, energy loss, or entropy, it might be a better idea--but in the real world it's not hard to see that the PG is a terribly designed unit.

also, let's assume that 1 out of 4 PG users thinks that it's a waste of money and time, that's probably 10x as many people complaining as the guys who put in a quaife.

The unit is cheaper, but it stops working, usually within a year. Tearing apart your diff/tranny isn't exactly low-maintenance work. Spending the $750 on a quaife that lasts for years on end, and is backed with a lifetime warranty doesn't seem so expensive if you bill your time out at let's say, $40/hour.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok there are major differeance between the types of differentials.

Open = almost every commuter car (fwd)
LSD = performance cars front and rear drive and there are many differnt types of LSD's
LOCK = 4WD is for off road where they are not too worried about turning or the effort involved.

The phantom grip works like a locked diff. Something that i would NEVER want for a car let alone a FWD car. The reason that i say this is that the Prelude is a handling car. You are only going to make it handle worse if you add a "PG" Your car would push more in a corner. Yes it COULD accelerate out off a stop light quicker. Yes they could work for that.
But what are you going to use the car for? Street use, Auto-x, Track, Drag.
They are cheap. There is a reason for that. I have installed one in my friends FWD Laser. Yea... it "worked" like everyone else said. But not all the time, and not when you hope or expect.
I have ridden in one. Not worth the $300 in my mind. You are allready 1/3 the way there to a Quaife! Save my man! it will be well worth it. Instant gratification is nice. BUt long time grafitication is what is worth my $300, $900, or whatever the price.

Good luck.
Ken
Old 10-04-2004, 05:54 PM

I've had a Phantom Grip for about two years. Don't recommend it for others. It's cheap, but it has torque issues on downshifting. The car goes all over the place if you downshift at anything over 5k rpms. It's not safe. Go with a Quaife. If you want to drag race, the PG only worked for about 6 months. I only have 170 whp and the car lays rubber (Yokohama A520's 215/40/16's) with hardly any right foot. I even have the front camber set to 0 degrees to try to help traction on launches. Just my experience.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the accord guys, had one in his tranny, on his built f22, with a 200shot or something rediculous like that, and he was having no issues with it, but that car was mainly a drag car. oh it was able to light up both slicks too soo i guess it works?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Power Rev Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Power Rev Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can be certain that just about every topic has been covered, so if everyone used the search button all the time. THere would not be much a reason to come to honda-tech anymore, because there would never be new post. So instead of acting like dicks all the time. Just trying to help people out. Thats what we are here for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They should still know how to use the Search function. Quoting search results or retyping what's already been posted is silly.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Spending the $750 on a quaife that lasts for years on end, and is backed with a lifetime warranty doesn't seem so expensive if you bill your time out at let's say, $40/hour.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where can I get a Quaife for $750?

Thanks,