Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ignition switch causing car to die? Can I just "hotwire" it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Paragraph Alert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition switch causing car to die? Can I just "hotwire" it?

I really don't like asking questions like this do to theft reasons, but I figure this would be nothing a thief wouldn't already know.

I noticed the other day while shutting the car off on the move ( I do this to clear a stupid ECU code) that it took me several tries before the car would fire back up again, but I didn't pay it much attention at the time. The next day at home when I hopped in the car it would start up but instantly go dead as soon as I let off the key from the start position. I figured out that I had keep the key halfway turned in the start position (just enough not to bump the starter) to keep it running . What's weird is that its not shutting everything off, just the engine. All of the accessories will stay running.

Instead of buying a whole new assembly I'm thinking about just figuring out a way to hot wire the car. Is it as simple as ripping the wires off the ignition switch and running them through a switch and push button (for starting)? I'm thinking there must be some safety measure that will make it hard to do this without a key, but I really can't see how.

Any input?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Ignition switch causing car to die? Can I just "hotwire" it? (ActiveAero)

Thats pretty weird. Does the car stay on when you try to jump start it?

I guess you could do something like the S2k has with the push start button because those dont need to be turned all the way, just to the on possition i think.

Worth a shot.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignition switch causing car to die? Can I just "hotwire" it? (ActiveAero)

would it be worth taking the column covers off and testing the ignition switch wires (wires hot when they should be, resistance, ect...) ?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Paragraph Alert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ignition switch causing car to die? Can I just "hotwire" it? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats pretty weird. Does the car stay on when you try to jump start it?

I guess you could do something like the S2k has with the push start button because those dont need to be turned all the way, just to the on possition i think.

Worth a shot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The car doesn't need to be jump started. It can crank itself, but for the engine to actually stay firing I have to keep slight pressure on the key.

Looks like I need to buy a Helms manual.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ActiveAero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like I need to buy a Helms manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good investment
Old 09-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ActiveAero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The car doesn't need to be jump started. It can crank itself, but for the engine to actually stay firing I have to keep slight pressure on the key.

Looks like I need to buy a Helms manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm.... thats the weirdest ******* thing i ever heard. Why not just get a new assembly then?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition switch causing car to die? Can I just "hotwire" it? (Luserkid)

there was a large recall at honda to adress this issue. ask at the dealership
it should be waranty
Old 09-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not really theft **** its just common knowledge you have a short in your wiring because all you need to do is engage the starter so you could break your ignition and start turning your car on with a screwdriver but then I think the cops may be a little bit weary about that.

Since thats how I have to turn my car on now thanks to ********* who failed stealing my ****. new ignitions run 100 dollars or at least thats how much I got mine for.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:33 AM

My car is doing the samething. In away i like it because no one knows how to start it because it will start fine but when let go of the key it dies. all you have to do is after it starts just bring the key back to were the dash lights come or the "on postion" it work great but if you bump it with our knee it most of the time shuts the car off. But i haven't had any trouble with mine only that. Hope that helps ya