Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Problem with 2008 Accord Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ChanceIt)

It doesn't matter if using high beams or not. It happens anytime the lights are on.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (WGRoper)

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.c.../4608

I suggest everyone click on this website and go read the posts over there concerning the flickering headlights, you may be very surprised.

Modified by honeygee2 at 11:01 PM 2/6/2008
Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 AM

Default Re: (honeygee2)

So I had about a 90 minute drive home tonight in the dark.
I tried turning the AC on, and still did not notice more than a very very slight dimness, lasting maybe 1/10 of a second.
It is sure not enough to bother me.
I only noticed it because I was really looking for it, having read these posts abou the issue.
It did not matter if it was on High or Low beam, its barely perceptable.

If I leave it idle in the driveway long enough for the cooling fan to finally kick on with the headlights on, i can see them dim a bit then.
But that was only at an idle, and I assume it just does not charge enough at idle with a heavy load to keep up to it all.
For hte idle in the driveway test, I put the seat heat on high, and the fan to full, stereo on, and headlights i tried on both low and high.
Yes, they dimmed a bit when the engine cooling fan came on, but I would surely not call it enough to concern me.
And if i raised the revs up it was almost hard to detect the dimming at all.
Are any of you with this problem maybe running any heavy draw accesories, say extra fog or driving lights or something.

In case your curious, I have an 08 4cyl, coupe, EX-L, with a manual tranny.
I do NOT have the navigation system.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:22 AM

Not sure about Hondas, but the thing that typically has the hardest draw on power is the rear window defroster...
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Because the cooling FANS came on doesn't mean the A/C cycled on...cooling fans will kick in when the water temp in the system reaches a certain temp. since you live in BC and its probably still in the 30's there is a good chance the compressor did not kick in..just the fans (there are two of them)..if that is the case you will find on a warm day when the car calls for cold air the compressor and fans will kick in and the lights will flicker a lot more that what you saw. even if you saw a flicker with just the fans on do you know of any other car you have had that did that?...also put the car in the driveway running and open the door and watch the interior lights...they do the same thing as it cycles...do these voltage differences hurt the rest of the electronics in the car?..on a typical 300 mile trip the voltage will change 1270 times..every 17 seconds with A/C on.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Default Re: 03 Accord Headlight issues

I bought a used 03 accord ex V6 coupe this fall and noticed the problem almost immediately. It happens when the car is cruising at highway speed on low beam and is VERY NOTICEABLE!!!!!!!! I love the accord and like any vehicle, there are always issues with them. I wouldn't get rid of the car because of the headlight issue, but it is a concern that I agree needs to be addressed by Honda. BTW, the headlights dim when the heater, A/C, cabin fan, radio, etc. is on. ( Right now it is -23C here and it doesn't matter what I turn on, it all affects the headlights.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Re: 2003 Accord Headlights Dim and Flicker (Slambob)

Same model of car with the same engine with almost the same issue. Mine flicker after startup and nothing turned on to cause any kind of power draw. Having said that , it is most noticeable when I am driving with the lights on low beam. I am going after Honda here to see if they will address the issue. Let me know how you do with them.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Re: 2003 Accord Headlights Dim and Flicker (03exv6NORTH)

All of the comments from the alleged service techs, master mechanics, racers, and mechanically inclined that LOL and chastise the few that report this legitimate problem do so out of ignorance. You don't own and haven't driven a Honda that exhibits this dangerous failure condition. I EXPECT SOME OF YOU TO FLAME ME FOR SAYING THAT, BUT THAT WILL JUST PROVE THE POINT REGARDING YOUR CUSTOMER FOCUS OR LACK THEREOF - IF YOU ARE HONDA MECHANICS.

It is unsafe and irritating to the driver of the Honda and other drivers in front of and facing the head lights in traffic as the voltage swings from low 12's to low 15's. I am the original owner of a 2004 Honda Accord V6 EX sedan. I am one of the "lucky" few to have this defect on my 2004 accord and I will resolve it since the local Honda service department is worse than unhelpful. They performed a load test 1 year ago, told me my battery was on the edge and sold me a $100 battery that I didn't need. I drove away, later that night the same problem occurred. I put a voltmeter on the cigarette lighter socket and found that the voltage swing was nearly 3 volts when the lights would dim. It started just under 40,000 miles and was not present for the first 2+ years of ownership. There's nothing the driver can do to cause it to happen, it's not a momentary flicker, it's a dangerous loss of illumination due to a large drop in voltage even when driving at highway speeds. I went back to the Rosen Honda service bay in Gurnee, Illinois, and they were as arrogant as some of you. They gave me a service bulleting that explained the ELD and essentially said the that when you press the brakes the lights will dim. I told them that I could easily accept that if that were the case. They did another load test and said the system checks out fine. They told me that they could replace the alternator ($1400+) and or the ELD ($287) but that I don't need either, it's supposed to be that way. I'm ordering an alternator from autozone for $79 + core (I couldn't believe that either after shopping). I'm pretty sure the low voltage setting that's supposed to be triggered by the ELD is defective on the alternator. The only option I have since my Honda service department just laughs at me. The duralast alternator will arrive next week, and I'll post back if that solves the problem. The other problem on this car is that the transmission sometimes waits for a full second when in drive waiting in an intersection for the traffic to clear, before it will go. Honda laughs at me for that one telling me it's the grade logic. Okay, I can accept that, even though it's unsafe, but the lighting problem will be repaired by me. A mechanically inclined every day Joe, where the highly trained Honda service department failed.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:03 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Accord Headlights Dim and Flicker (motohed)

Your over generalizations and characterizations are not only misinformed but naive to say the least. 100$ for a battery... surely an indication of your ability to comprehend or worse yet diagnose any issues you might have allegedly experienced. 15 to 12.5v? B.F.D.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Re: 2003 Accord Headlights Dim and Flicker (MSchu)

Hahahahahahahahaha! You are funny Ms. Chu – the defensive purveyor of BFD. You are also very wrong. Losing 20 to 25% of the system voltage and essentially running on battery while the car is traveling at highway speeds is a big deal and causes a proportionate loss of illumination. When the alternator comes back up the inverse is true. You would know better if you were an ASE certified mechanic, but that can't be the case. Or heck, if you stopped to think before you responded.

My thanks to helpful posters like HondaTechAV6 that provided reasoned responses based on the facts presented earlier in the discussion. Those helped determine that the alternator was probably cutting out completely when the ELD told it to drop to the low demand setting.

MSchu, only you, should try this test. You'll need to drive in the dark, so first, replace the burned out bulbs in your Honda headlights (if you have a Honda) then scrape the baked mud off of your headlight lenses and wash. There. Now that your headlights operate, take your Honda out on a dark rainy night and drive on a twisty deserted road that's unfamiliar to you (add snow and slick driving conditions for extra excitement). Accelerate to highway speed, then turn your ignition off for about 15 seconds so the lights are on battery voltage only (notice the significant loss of illumination), then restart the engine (you know, put it in neutral and turn the key clockwise) and notice how you can actually see much better at idle due to the normal operating intensity of the headlights and even better when you put the transmission back in drive (that's the D position) and press the accelerator and the engine revs back to a couple grand. Then turn the ignition switch off again for about 15 seconds and back on for an arbitrary amount of time (15 - 60 seconds) and so on and keep doing this for about an hour while you continue to navigate the road. You'll gain a better understanding of how this problem manifests itself to those few Honda owners that experience the problem (without loss of ignition, power steering or braking).

How sad that you feel you’re contributing to the otherwise legitimate discussion when you’re just polluting it with useless defensive drivel that misconstrues the facts. Sheesh.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by motohed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How sad that you feel you’re contributing to the otherwise legitimate discussion when you’re just polluting it with useless defensive drivel that misconstrues the facts. Sheesh.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL... friggen awesome
Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You paid $100 for a battery you didn't need?? I will laugh at you too. Hahahaha The stock batteries are some of the lowest powered batteries you can get for this car. You could have bought a battery with way more power for less than $100. Then maybe your lights would flicker a lot less.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:38 AM

Default Re: 2003 Accord Headlights Dim and Flicker (BLKFLSH)

Get a clue, tool box, it's not about the battery. And in this case, it's not the normal ELD momentary flicker. Mae bee u dont reed so guud.

Life will be better for you and those around you when you follow this free advice: Stop
verbalizing your thoughts and people will start to believe you know what you're talking about.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Problem with 2008 Accord Headlights? (aries331)

The problem with my headlights has now been addressed by the local Honda Dealership and American Honda. I learned a great deal about Honda's customer service. The customer service I received was of no value. I waited before posting details about my issue until I had completed discussions with American Honda.

Following is a summary of my interactions with American Honda. I am currently an owner of 2 Hondas and have purchased a total of 6 during my lifetime. As a result of this experience with American Honda's customer service, I will definitely be considering other auto makers for my next car purchase. I encourage anyone having this problem to report it to American Honda. Perhaps if enough Honda owners complain, Honda will wake up and realize they need to address the issue before they start losing customers.

<U>Scope</U>
This document provides details necessary for tracking and resolving the issue of poor headlight performance on the 2008 Honda Accord.

Issue Description<U></U>
The 2008 Honda Accord suffers from poor headlight performance. While driving at night, the headlight intensity frequently fluctuates causing distraction and reducing nighttime visibility.

Local Honda Dealership inspected the headlight system and provided the following diagnosis: “NPF Normal flicker associated with ELD transfer. This is normal operation of ELD”.

The diagnosis reported by Local Honda Dealership is confusing since my year 2000 Honda Odyssey also uses an ELD and does not suffer from this same issue.

If this issue is truly caused by ELD operation, then Honda must believe that vehicle fuel efficiency should be maximized regardless of adverse effects such as poor headlight performance.

My interpretation of the Local Honda Dealership diagnosis is provided below.
Poor headlight performance is “normal” due to the operation of the Electrical Load Detector (ELD). The function of the ELD is to provide electrical system demand information to the onboard computer module. The onboard computer then uses the provided information to adjust alternator output which ultimately results in fuel savings. Honda is assuming that customers are willing to sacrifice normal headlight performance for the possibility of increasing fuel mileage.

The operational design of one system produces a side affect in another system that results in a safety risk.

Risk Analysis<U></U>
Risks of operating a vehicle with poor headlight performance are provided below.

Risks
1. Reduced visibility and driving concentration could result in a collision.
2. Other drivers could mistake a headlight intensity fluctuation as aggressive driving behavior resulting in driver confrontation.

Other issues
1. A lower capacity battery would most likely increase adverse effects associated with ELD operation. The battery on the vehicle is most likely smaller than needed to support the number of high current accessories installed on the car.
2. A higher capacity battery would most likely decrease adverse effects associated with ELD operation.
3. Battery capacity should be selected based on the vehicle’s total electrical load (short duration and long duration) rather than by car body style alone.
4. It is unknown whether or not the XM Radio problems that are being experienced on the car could be associated with ELD operation.

LOG
TIMESTAMP NAME DETAIL
2/1/2008 7:11 AM Local Honda Dealership
Invoice 441527 Headlight problem reported to Autopark Honda. Autopark Honda evaluated the problem and reported “This is normal operation of ELD, See Service News bulletin.” Local Honda Dealership also provided “Honda ServiceNews December 00”. The document explains that the ELD causes dimming of the headlights when the battery is supplying most of the current to the electrical system.

2/1/2008 9:15 AM American Honda
Case: N012008-02-0100011 Problem escalated to American Honda since Autopark Honda unable to resolve issue.

2/11/08 1:20 PM American Honda
Mike Fenner Mike called and asked for a description of the headlight dimming problem. I provided a description. Mike then thanked me for the description and replied that with my description he could identify that the issue is not a problem and that it is associated with the operation of the ELD. I discussed the issue in technical detail in which Mike was unable to comment since he is not an engineer. Mike also seemed unwilling to listen to my side of the story since Honda was already aware of the issue and anything that I might say was unimportant. Mike then said that there was nothing else that he could do and that he would turn my case over to the Honda Dealership where I bought my car. I asked Mike not to turn over to Local Honda Dealership since they could not provide help to resolve the issue. Mike then said that Honda would contact me if there was a recall or vehicle update associated with the ELD. I then told Mike that I felt that his follow-up call provided no value.

2/11/08 3:45 PM American Honda
Pricilla Dialed (800) 999-1009 and pressed option 3 and Pricilla answered. I requested for additional information about Mike Fenner above since I was in a meeting when the call was received from Mike. Pricilla was able to locate the ticket, however, had difficulty identifying who actually called me. She also had difficulty providing information in a smooth timely manner. She seemed to talk to herself and apologize to me for issues as she was reading. Overall I did not get a good feeling that Honda was capable of resolving my issue. She did finally say that Mike would call me back.

2/11/08 5:10 PM ? Received an Unknown Caller on my cell phone while driving home from work. I assumed it was Honda calling back; however, no one left a message.

2/12/08 10:30 AM American Honda
Regional Manager Received a call from the American Honda Regional Manager. I described the problem with the car and he said that Honda was not interested in resolving the issue with the flickering headlights and that flickering headlights was normal on that car. He also said that Honda would contact me only if there is an update or recall. He offered no time frame and then said that the issue may never be resolved. Otherwise I was on my own. He seemed very arrogant, ignorant, and completely uninterested in resolving my problem. I believe that his only interest was to identify if the problem that I was experiencing was a financial risk to American Honda. Since he viewed my problem not to be such, he was uninterested in discussing it further. He also recommended that I call the BBB or my local Attorney General’s office for remediation. I then asked him if he was from Honda or General Motors. He assured me he was from Honda. I clearly said that I am not satisfied with Honda customer service and that I might pursue getting my money back. He was no longer interested in discussing the issue and informed me that he was terminating the call.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Problem with 2008 Accord Headlights? (jacksonn)

What happened to you with Honda does not surprise me at this point..this is what I suggest you do...make a night time video of your car near a wall showing every light flickering as the car is running and post it on every internet site dealing with automobiles..this is my plan if nothing is done about my car. Go to your local magnetic car sign shop and get 4 lemon signs and put them on your doors, sooner or later someone from the local tv or newspaper will pick up on it..on the sign post a web address to youtube or whatever...do not disparage the dealer they did not build the car...park the car in a prominent spot near the dealer on weekends..their heavy traffic time..as far as I know magnetic signs are still allowed in this country.
I am going away for ten days but so far I have a video ready to go in VHS, mini dvd,and fullsize dvd format..its seven minutes long and I'm sure thousands of people would love to see it...if no satisfaction is obtained a copy will go online and copies to Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automoblie,Auto Week,Jim Healy at USA Today,Ford, General Motors,Toyota, Nissan and even Chrysler to name a few. Remember folks, its not your dealer's fault, they did not build the car. The target here is American Honda.

Modified by honeygee2 at 9:55 AM 2/15/2008

Modified by honeygee2 at 10:08 AM 2/15/2008
Old 02-15-2008, 06:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Problem with 2008 Accord Headlights? (honeygee2)

For the rest of you people contemplating buying a new Honda read Jacksonn's post and see what you getting yourself into...and wait till you northerners put that A/C on in the springtime and go for a night time ride..remember this only applies to the 4 cyl accord..
Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

2/12/08 10:30 AM American Honda
Regional Manager Received a call from the American Honda Regional Manager. I described the problem with the car and he said that Honda was not interested in resolving the issue with the flickering headlights and that flickering headlights was normal on that car. He also said that Honda would contact me only if there is an update or recall. He offered no time frame and then said that the issue may never be resolved. Otherwise I was on my own. He seemed very arrogant, ignorant, and completely uninterested in resolving my problem. I believe that his only interest was to identify if the problem that I was experiencing was a financial risk to American Honda. Since he viewed my problem not to be such, he was uninterested in discussing it further. He also recommended that I call the BBB or my local Attorney General’s office for remediation. I then asked him if he was from Honda or General Motors. He assured me he was from Honda. I clearly said that I am not satisfied with Honda customer service and that I might pursue getting my money back. He was no longer interested in discussing the issue and informed me that he was terminating the call.
There's your answer folks...Honda acknowledges the flickering headlight problem,knows about refuses to fix it and terminates the call.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say expletive this and lets go straight to the local news channels with our complaint, obviously Honda ain't gonna do jack about it, it ain't right, if the v6 doesnt do it, why should I4 owners have to deal with it.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honeygee2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the rest of you people contemplating buying a new Honda read Jacksonn's post and see what you getting yourself into...and wait till you northerners put that A/C on in the springtime and go for a night time ride..remember this only applies to the 4 cyl accord..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honeygee, can you post your video????
Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes me glad I got the V6.......good luck with the issue
Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Problem with 2008 Accord Headlights? (aries331)

As soon as I get back from vacation I plan to devote a lot of time to this issue..if I get no satisfaction from honda at that time for all of us the video will go out...meanwhile anyone can do it...I will be back feb 26th.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Drove the car yesterday for 150 miles on the interstate...try this out...drive along at 70 mph and open only the rear windows...you will swear the roof is going to blow off the car.. of course you say why would I do that right?..ever get a bumble bee in the car?..oh and by the way for you northerners in the snow belt..look at that little groove by the drivers edge of the windshield...snow will build up in here and you will be getting out scraping snow very often...yep this is a great car.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:28 PM

I've tried the A/C already in my garage and it still does the same damn thing on a V6 as an I4. Yep, scraping snow and ice out of that groove is a lot of fun. Got an appointment with a local Honda dealer next Wednesday, and I hope they don't pull the same indifferent crap as they have with everyone else suffering from this problem. I'm gonna use my camera to video the flicker and take it to the dealer on Wednesday. You would think that Honda would care about their reputation as one of the best car manufacturers in the world, but I guess that would be a stretch in light of what others have been experiencing. Just a thought, has anyone tried to contact their HQ in Japan regarding this issue?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honeygee2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drove the car yesterday for 150 miles on the interstate...try this out...drive along at 70 mph and open only the rear windows...you will swear the roof is going to blow off the car.. of course you say why would I do that right?..ever get a bumble bee in the car?.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All cars sound like that. I get bumblebees in my car every day. It is a huge problem for me. Looks like you are looking for reasons to complain now. Keep entertaining me-this is great!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with 2008 Accord Headlights? (wellinghurst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wellinghurst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

All cars sound like that. I get bumblebees in my car every day. It is a huge problem for me. Looks like you are looking for reasons to complain now. Keep entertaining me-this is great!</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah having the rear windows open in any four door car sound like to just stepped into a helicopter.

Quick Reply: Problem with 2008 Accord Headlights?