Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

RALLY-CROSS?

Old 05-25-2004, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RALLY-CROSS?

i know its not really autocross/roadrace but does any one rallycross? What kind of setup do you run? Grassroots just put out an article that gave me the impression that this is done on street suspension ie.. kyb agx's.Is it just me or wouldnt you need a beefier suspension? any info would help and flamers dont bother.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (k279)

street suspension is fine, rallyX is not nearly as brutal as Pro Rally or WRC.

In most cases teh worst thing you'll encounter is some rutting later in the day and possibly a rock or two.

It's great fun if you have a car that isn't set up in a 100% road race configuration (stock-ish ground clearance, relatively compliant suspension, etc)
Old 05-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Avis and Enterprise both have pretty good rally cross set ups.

Course design has more to do with it than anything. I did a RallyX in Oregon a few years ago that was on a vacant plot of land near an airport. It was wet and muddy. The cones were closer together than most Auto Crosses. Very slow. Suspension was barely a factor.

On the other end, the SoCal Rally series event I did a few years ago was much different. Cones so far apart it was like driving a actual rally stage, enough distance between turns that you could really carry some speed, and enough elevation change that I did bottom out (with Tokicos on full stiff) a few times. Even so, there was a guy in a rented PT Cruiser having as much fun as anyone. Maybe more.

Thawley
Old 05-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to RallyX my Geo. I think if I put about $1500 on the car, I can get a really good street set up with a cage.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 AM

we drove a STS prepped 2.5RS at the local rallycross 2 weeks ago. A blast.

That's lowered an inch, on performance rubber. Not the best tire for rally, but it was a blast.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 AM

you can check this link out... started by some folks in the Philly Region me thinks:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TeamRallyX
Old 05-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (emwavey)

Sorry - been out of touch for a couple days so I'm behind the H-T curve but a stock-suspended car is fine for a typical RallyCross. A guy with a lowered Miata had a lousy time and left the event that I ran last weekend but the OE struts and springs were fine on the GTI

This is very fun stuff if you have one near you but I wouldn't use a lowered car.

K
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (thawley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thawley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Avis and Enterprise both have pretty good rally cross set ups.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yah!

Okay, I've always wanted to do this, Auto Crossing in the dirt in a rental car sounds like fun to me... I was checking this out: http://www.californiarallyseries.com

I want to do this sometime this year, but dont really know where to start (and I dont have any friends that do it) so.....

Anyone here have first hand experience with a N00b-friendly group that they can recommend in SoCal?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (D.CACO)

I've never done it, Dennis, but I'd love to try. If you're looking for a co-driver, let me know, I'll be there in a heartbeat.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITAcelica)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITAcelica &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to RallyX my Geo. I think if I put about $1500 on the car, I can get a really good street set up with a cage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'd then have a 1500 dollar cage being carted around by a 15 dollar Geo. Hmmm. I like that actually...

"Go ahead and tailgate me!"
Old 05-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I going to do the cage my self. Me and my friend ITAIntegraLS ( Edik ) can make a pretty good cage. And the last thing I'm going to do is drop a D16 in it.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A cage is frankly probably overkill for a rallycross. Speeds are like at an autocross...

K
Old 05-27-2004, 10:22 AM

Actually in club rally there is a class devoted to just geo's. The engines have to remain oe with i think only slight mods like exhaust ect. But you have to have all the safety eqip like cage, harnesses, and seats, fire extinguisher. But i heard its a blast. you get to run on the same stages as the big guns but not at suicide speeds.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Overkill or not, I'm not going to be in a Geo without a cage or at least a roll bar. The class just for Geo's sounds like fun. I got to look into it. Thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (FormulaIntegra)

Alright Darren then pick a car!

http://www.enterprise.com/car_...es.do

And still wondering...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D.CACO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anyone here have first hand experience with a N00b-friendly group that they can recommend in SoCal? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Dennis dont forget the hammer that you almost killed us with in CS. Varo tells me all you need is a Hammer in the car when you Rally.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember seeing the Volvo Cross Country wagon at Hertz when I used to work at a rental car terminal, I bet that would be a good one to use. Or maybe an AWD Suzuki Aerio wagon, its alot cheaper and easier to reserve.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (Sean O'Gorman)

The Aerio shouldn't be too much to rent, either. And it's been done before. Both of these have stock suspension, too.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D.CACO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Okay, I've always wanted to do this, Auto Crossing in the dirt in a rental car sounds like fun to me... I was checking this out: http://www.californiarallyseries.com

I want to do this sometime this year, but dont really know where to start (and I dont have any friends that do it) so.....

Anyone here have first hand experience with a N00b-friendly group that they can recommend in SoCal? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I've been to a few of the CRS rally's. We ran my bro's impreza a couple times, and since then have bought a 1st gen rx7 that we took out a couple times (and are currently prepping for rallyX / Rally Sprint / SCCA Rally.

Your best bet is to just jump into it. The CRS events are really laid back, and easy to get into the groove of things. If you're at all nervous, just go to one and watch the first time. That way you can get a feel for how they stage you and just sorta how the whole event works.

As for vehicle... I would definitely recommend a beater car, or a car you don't mind thrashing quite a bit. Some of the rallX's are fairly soft on the car, but others can get pretty brutal. We've bottomed out my bro's impreza which was stock height (which is pretty high to begin with). I've seen stock hondas out there too... although I personaly wouldn't run a stock honda unless it was my beater.

Overall, they're great events, and pretty affordable. Its nice too because once the event is over you usually get a handful of fun runs, more so than the socal autox's i've been to.

Sushiboy: Where was the rallyX with that yellow Aerio? If its a socal rally... its most likely the guy I see at a lot of the so cal rallyx's. He works for suzuki and gets to bring that aerio to all types of events and thrash it..... man what a great job!!
Old 05-28-2004, 07:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITAcelica &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Dennis dont forget the hammer that you almost killed us with in CS. Varo tells me all you need is a Hammer in the car when you Rally. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hammer? Almost "killed" you? What are you talking about?

Modified by D.CACO at 9:12 PM 5/28/2004
Old 05-29-2004, 06:25 AM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: (D.CACO)

OMG its the flying hammers... RUN!!! everyone get to the chopper
Old 05-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (91IntegGS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91IntegGS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sushiboy: Where was the rallyX with that yellow Aerio? If its a socal rally... its most likely the guy I see at a lot of the so cal rallyx's. He works for suzuki and gets to bring that aerio to all types of events and thrash it..... man what a great job!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, that's him.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: (spock_rocker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spock_rocker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OMG its the flying hammers... RUN!!! everyone get to the chopper</TD></TR></TABLE>

OOOhhh... Those Hammers! I almost forgot about those since we werent able to use them at the last Willow Springs event. I wish that I could say I almost killed Varo with the hammer at the last CS event, but unfortunately, I never saw Varo since he was in the FRONT of the field, and I was in the BACK, which is about a mile behind him and my hammers don't fly that far.

I should probably get the Hammer upgrade, I'll ask my crew and see if we can fit it into our annual racing budget for the next event, but I doubt it since our Hammer fund was depleted at CS. Kinda like NOS, that Hammer system gets depleted, and it needs to be refilled and/or upgraded.

Maybe I should start a groupbuy for Hammer ver.2.6? Since it's only an upgrade and not a full install, it shouldn't be too expensive, and I heard Home Depot will do a free install for all Honda Challenge racers.

Old 05-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RALLY-CROSS? (91IntegGS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91IntegGS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The CRS events are really laid back, and easy to get into the groove of things. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'll ditto that. They are bitchen people. For the most part, the SoCal rally organizers are the same folks for CRS, Rim of the world and the Ramada Express Rally in Laughlin, NV. All are terrific events. Don't think about it; just go. They're great fun whether you're competing or just spectating.

Thawley

PS: Check out the July issue of SCC for the story on an EF Hatch Rally Car. I'm glad somebody finally did that.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D.CACO)

Dont go telling everyone about the hammer. The last thing I want to see is a sea of hammers coming at us. I hope your going to race at buttionwillow this weekend. It should be a good race if everyone shows up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RALLY-CROSS?