Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

replacing valve stem seals in k24?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing valve stem seals in k24?

hi guys, my first post.... i have a 2003 honda crv which is in great operating condition. i have recently fitted an amsoil dual remote bypass filter setup, but now that the engine is getting 'cleaned up' inside, the valve seals are now leaking as a result... i have bought the vehicle used with 171,000km (107,000miles) so whatever oil he used was good for the engine but maybe not for the seals? i puffs a quick white smoke on startup, but not always...

i was wondering if its worth it changing the seals yourself, or getting a shop to do it, $1100+ from a Honda dealership.

thanks
Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: replacing valve stem seals in k24?

Can youmremove the head without removing the engine from the car? I think that be difficult to do... or is it next to impossible?
Old 09-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, thanks.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try the rope trick? use proper rope and put it through the spark plug holes. turn the crank till its snug to keep the valves up. replace the seals on the one cylinder. repeat x4.

would it be a pain in the ***? very much so, and you'll need to figure out a way or some special tools to get the valve springs/keepers on and off. would i pay $1100 for honda to do it? HELL no.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Trial User

Haven't done my fuel pressure yet. Gonna do that this weekend. It does seem like it's inline with the fuel lines, but it just doesn't seem like it's originating at the pump. The sound is more near and in the engine bay. So hard to pinpoint. I haven't had any "driveablity" issues, although it does seem a little sluggish once in awhile, but that could just be how it feels to me, as my other car is an 88 VW Scirocco. I've got a new fuel filter that I'm gonna put in this weekend, but i don't think that's the issue, just doing it, since i don't know the age of the one on there.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by ScarlettZoe
Haven't done my fuel pressure yet. Gonna do that this weekend. It does seem like it's inline with the fuel lines, but it just doesn't seem like it's originating at the pump. The sound is more near and in the engine bay. So hard to pinpoint. I haven't had any "driveablity" issues, although it does seem a little sluggish once in awhile, but that could just be how it feels to me, as my other car is an 88 VW Scirocco. I've got a new fuel filter that I'm gonna put in this weekend, but i don't think that's the issue, just doing it, since i don't know the age of the one on there.
Are you posting in the wrong section?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by zpinch
hi guys, my first post.... i have a 2003 honda crv which is in great operating condition. i have recently fitted an amsoil dual remote bypass filter setup, but now that the engine is getting 'cleaned up' inside, the valve seals are now leaking as a result... i have bought the vehicle used with 171,000km (107,000miles) so whatever oil he used was good for the engine but maybe not for the seals? i puffs a quick white smoke on startup, but not always...

i was wondering if its worth it changing the seals yourself, or getting a shop to do it, $1100+ from a Honda dealership.

thanks
Can youmremove the head without removing the engine from the car? I think that be difficult to do... or is it next to impossible?
Okay, thanks.
You should at least give people a chance to reply. If you're in a hurry than go find the helms manual to show you how to replace your valve stem seals.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bradshaw
try the rope trick? use proper rope and put it through the spark plug holes. turn the crank till its snug to keep the valves up. replace the seals on the one cylinder. repeat x4.

would it be a pain in the ***? very much so, and you'll need to figure out a way or some special tools to get the valve springs/keepers on and off. would i pay $1100 for honda to do it? HELL no.
Hmm, now that you mention it, I have heard someone doing this...

I think I will buy a spring compressor for sure, I don't think they are much? Magnet I think people have used to take the keepers off. I dread doing this...

Thanks.

Tony_2018 What are you talking about? Check the original post date.