Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Finding trouble while replacing bushings,balljoints, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding trouble while replacing bushings,balljoints, etc

Ok i'm in the middle of replacing all of my bushings with new bushings from Energy Suspension. I got the control arms done and now i'm starting with the bushings in my progress coilovers. While pulling the driver side coilover a bearing fell out of this boot. What kind of trouble am I in?

Old 09-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Finding trouble while replacing bushings,balljoints, etc

just get a new driveshaft ripping those apart to fix it is a giant pain, they are like $80 at part stores and carry a life time warranty.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OmgDelSol
Ok i'm in the middle of replacing all of my bushings with new bushings from Energy Suspension. I got the control arms done and now i'm starting with the bushings in my progress coilovers. While pulling the driver side coilover a bearing fell out of this boot. What kind of trouble am I in?
You'll need a new axle as was stated but stay away from autopart store junk!

I just got done replacing cv axles (driveshafts) on my 96. I had one return after another with that autoparts store junk (vibration, would not seat properly, damaged cv joints already new, etc). Poor quality, is an understatement! I finally searched the forums and came up with an excellent builder of axles at raxles.com I talked to Marty and he set me up with some excellent axles, they are the best quality i've seen, popped right in, no vibrations! They were $159 after I got the $60 core for the old one. Not a bad price at all!

Took him about 3 days to get them to me, well worth the wait since all there is out there is junk/crap parts when it comes to driveshafts. Hope I could help save you the time/frustration that I had to go through!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Part store axels are hit and miss simple as that.

if you're not being an idiot and "racing" they work fine used them in my 09 Honda fit never had any vibration. My integra when I owed it had DSS shafts which are over kill but are better then re-man parts.

I'm laughing... either that's some bad advertising or your just dick riding(directed at (oneheadlight)
Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a new boot and either a pair of CV boot pliers to install the new clamps or some correct sized plastic ty wraps/zip ties. Basically remove the axle, and the old boot. Clean everything up with brake clean and some rags (It will be messy) put the new boot on the axle shaft, put the 3 bearings back on the triple tree/trillium/tripod. Put the outer joint back on (this basically involves knuckling/turning the joint a bit and it will just slip right on) then put your clamps or ty wraps on and reinstall the axle.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've spent plenty of time on the track with parts store axles. Never had one fail. As long as you drive correctly, and aren't putting down three to four times stock power, they'll be fine.

There's still enough grease in that boot, though. As long as it hasn't started clicking yet, you could reboot and repack it, and call it a day for cheap.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The issue with parts store axles isn't so much strength as it is vibration issues. It's usually more of a problem with B-series axles though.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

do a search for raxles on honda forums you'll see the experiences everyone has had.. good stuff
Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. I'll have to call raxles and see what the price difference is b/w the part store and them. Never thought changing all of my bushings and ball joints would turn into a two week job haha. At least i'm learning a lot!

Is this the part that i'm needing to replace?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...706373_0_78656
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist
I've spent plenty of time on the track with parts store axles. Never had one fail. As long as you drive correctly, and aren't putting down three to four times stock power, they'll be fine.

There's still enough grease in that boot, though. As long as it hasn't started clicking yet, you could reboot and repack it, and call it a day for cheap.
you got really lucky, it took me many tries to find a decent one, and a lot of swapping axles in and out. Stay clear of advance and autozone at all costs, complete crap
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 AM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Get a new boot and either a pair of CV boot pliers to install the new clamps or some correct sized plastic ty wraps/zip ties. Basically remove the axle, and the old boot. Clean everything up with brake clean and some rags (It will be messy) put the new boot on the axle shaft, put the 3 bearings back on the triple tree/trillium/tripod. Put the outer joint back on (this basically involves knuckling/turning the joint a bit and it will just slip right on) then put your clamps or ty wraps on and reinstall the axle.
if he's been driving it that long and the boot is that shot, chances are the dirt and grit has ruined the cv joints. time for a new one, if it had been caught immediately, taken out and cleaned up, it might have been ok, but it doesnt take much to score up everything
Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
you got really lucky, it took me many tries to find a decent one, and a lot of swapping axles in and out. Stay clear of advance and autozone at all costs, complete crap

Ton of people say go autozone for the lifetime warranty and just swap it out anytime it breaks, then there's a ton of people that say go with raxle. So now i'm just confused on which one to go with ha.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Used autozone ones for the 1st time last december. Had to really clean up the splines to get them to engage w/out a beating. Right now have one out to polish where the seal rides cuz it's been a leaker. I aint buying this crap again.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:27 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by hatchaholic
Used autozone ones for the 1st time last december. Had to really clean up the splines to get them to engage w/out a beating. Right now have one out to polish where the seal rides cuz it's been a leaker. I aint buying this crap again.
at one point, I kept bringing one back to them, and the new ones were bad, I finally got smart and marked it with UV paint, took it home and ,yep same one, they would take it in the back, wait a minute and bring it back. They tried to say I was lying until I pulled out the UV light and showed then where I had written autozone is a scam on it, in invisible paint, I got my money back, plus the cost of my core after I called corporate about that one
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts