Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1999 Accord randomly dies after 1-3 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Accord randomly dies after 1-3 miles.

Hey, hoping someone can help.
99 Accord, 4 cyl, 5 speed.
Car runs great, can run it anywhere from 1-3 miles from the house, it randomly dies....won't start back. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, starts back like nothing's wrong and runs great.....for another 1-3 miles.

New plugs and wires, checked after it dies and it's getting spark at each plug, so I'm assuming it's fuel.

I'm not very good with electronics and testing equipment, have just basic hand tools. I'm a machinist by trade and most of my tools are at the shop.

Any helpful tips on things I can check? Don't really wanna just throw money at it, wanna find what's wrong and fix that.

Thank you very much for your time.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Accord randomly dies after 1-3 miles.

Ignition Control Module, also known as the Ignitor is often the culprit when the Accord does what yours is doing. It is not that it stops delivering spark when the engine dies, but as the ICM ages, it stops delivering sufficient spark at all times to keep combustion going, which causes the stall. A few minutes later, it delivers the right spark to let start up and run a while, then cuts off again. Very robust spark is required to keep the engine running.

The ICM is in the distributor. Focus on it when talking to any shops about a fix. The Main Relay or your ignition switch are also possibilities, but the symptoms you listed are exactly like what my 93 Accord was doing both times I replaced the Ignitor. I replaced it myself both times so I know that was what was wrong. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the reply.

I think I have it fixed. I had an ICM on order at Advanced auto, talking with the guy behind the counter, he asked if I was 100% sure it wasn't fuel related. I said I was about 95% sure. lol

He suggested trying to squirt some fuel in the intake after it died just to make sure. I put some gas in a squirt bottle and took my wife with me to help. After about 2 miles it died again. Tried to start it, no dice. Squirted some gas in the intake and it started for a few seconds. Tried it without gas, no dice. We tried that procedure a couple times to make sure. Seemed evident it was gas, not a spark problem. Went back and bought a test light. Drove it until it died again. Tested the wires at the pump, they had power but we couldn't hear the pump kick on when the key is turned on. That told me the pump was bad, or cutting in and out for some reason. Kinda strange, I've never seen a pump do that. I've only seen a fuel pump go completely out all at once. It seems to be running longer now. After a few days of going back and forth to work, if I have no troubles, that will tell me for sure if that was the problem or not.....I hope. lol
Old 09-06-2014, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I thought I had it fixed. LOL

After a week of driving with no problems, it dies again after just idling for about 15 minutes after work. It had power at the fuel pump, but the pump was not kicking on when the key was turned on. Swapped the pump out for a new one thinking maybe I got a bum pump to start with. It started up fine and drove home. Pulled in my drive way and it died and wouldn't start. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and it started back, pulled into my carport and shut it off.

This might be a shot in the dark. The sending unit in my car has always been jacked up. I can't get the float and arm to stay on the sending unit. So I've never had a gas gauge to go by and just reset my trip meter at fill ups, go about 300 miles and fill up. Is there a chance that somehow the sending unit could be shorting out the pump causing it to kick off?

Thank you.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine has the same problem,93 accord. It randomly dies then would start a few minutes later. It died completely after 5-6 times of this happening. Now I have no power to pump.
I replaced the pump once about 6 months ago already thinking it was the problem. After I dropped the tank I checked the connection at the pump and had power. This was after it sat for 24hours,
Now I have no power from the relay that goes to the pump but I do have power to the relay. Tried to check the ECU grounds but they are not on the thermostat housing where they are supposed to be! The ecu grounds the fuel pump relay which in turn sends power to the pump. Going to try grounding the relay directly to see if it energizes the pump next. If it does I assume it is either a faulty ecu or ground.
Something new, now when I turn the key on both my cooling fans energize! I replaced the relay and still the same issue. ( fuel pump and A/C relay are the same unit )

Last edited by Jon Bevan; 09-13-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Pull the main relay and check the solder joints for cold flow(cracking solder joints).
Old 09-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm new to Hondas. On a 2000 accord lx, where is the ecu and main relay?

I thought it was fixed, car worked perfectly for a couple weeks....then it died on the way to work Friday. Would not start back this time. Still won't start. I've put a new icu in it, new fuel relay..... Will not start now. I was told 2 wires at the fuel pump should have power. One should be around 5 volts, the other around 12 volts. Right now, only one wire has power at the tank. Don't have a volt meter, just a test light....

Checked the injector plugs with a 194 bulb, injectors are pulsing. Checked each plug wire and they are all getting spark. Seems to me it's fuel. Don't know what else to try.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main relay is a fuel relay. What part number did you buy and install and where did you get it from ?