Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Please help. Good battery not starting Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Please help. Good battery not starting Prelude

This issue is so strange to me.
I have a 92 h23 Prelude S1. The battery that's in the car has worked great since I purchased the car over a year ago. The car also has had a 50watt amp connected to it from the time of purchase. Now a mediately after cutting the car off, the battery will not crank the car after driving it around for a wile with the amp disconnected and no accessories running.
When I try to start the car there is a click, the interior light dims, and the alarm goes off as if the battery is weak. I had the battery tested at the auto store and it past all testes including the load test.
Now this is the strange part. If I put the battery into my brothers v6 Isuzu Rodeo (my car is a 4 cylinder), It will start his truck and run it and the battery out of my brothers truck will start my car and run it with the accessories on. What is my problem? Sorry this is so long but I want to list every thing that may help you guys help me. Thank you.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help. Good battery not starting Prelude

Did you check the starter? It sounds like a similar issue I had with my car. The engine would not crank but only when it was real hot outside or after long drives and that was because heat reduces conductivity on the contact points in the starter solenoid. But check the starter. Have a buddy stand outside to be sure that there is a clicking noise outside. If thats the case, whats happening is that the pinion gear of the starter is meshing with the flywheel but isnt able to turn it.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it have an alarm on it and by disconnecting items in the car you may have tripped a relay.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KeepUp
Did you check the starter? It sounds like a similar issue I had with my car. The engine would not crank but only when it was real hot outside or after long drives and that was because heat reduces conductivity on the contact points in the starter solenoid. But check the starter. Have a buddy stand outside to be sure that there is a clicking noise outside. If thats the case, whats happening is that the pinion gear of the starter is meshing with the flywheel but isnt able to turn it.
I checked the starter as best I could. I don't have the proper size extension or swivel adapter to remove the nut closest to the firewall. But the connection to the starter solenoid seemed a little loose. I'm hoping that was causing my problem. will post ounce I'm able to drive it some. Thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited by dperry; 08-20-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=RedLudeJosh;49899530]does it have an alarm on it and by disconnecting items in the car you may have tripped a relay.[/QUOTE
Yes it does but the alarm doesn't have a ignition kill function, just a alarm.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:12 PM
something gnarly

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

also check your main ground going from the battery to the transmission/chassis.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22
also check your main ground going from the battery to the transmission/chassis.
I checked and cleaned this ground connection.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your grounds and your battery terminals, even if they look tight, they can have corrosion between the terminals and battery posts
Old 08-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok going back to the last part of your question OP, you said that when you switch batteries with the Rodeo, the battery in that truck starts your car while yours starts his?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KeepUp
Ok going back to the last part of your question OP, you said that when you switch batteries with the Rodeo, the battery in that truck starts your car while yours starts his?
Yes that is correct.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the cranking amperage rating of the battery I know I've had that issue before
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shouldn't be that much an issue starting a Honda you can start a lot of them with mower batteries if needed, if it starts that Rodeo it should start both
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The next time it doesn't start, WITH THE CAR IN NEUTRAL, and the ignition in the 2 position, run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter solenoid after disconnecting the connector(it's the small wire not the big one). This will turn over the starter and should start the car. Be careful and be sure the car is in neutral. If the car starts, the problem is likely the ignition switch.

Be very careful not to touch that positive wire to anything metal as it will spark so be safe.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

clean your grounds.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree... clean grounds.... dont assume they have good contact... make sure. Also, next time this problem happens... tap your starter with a wrench... or a hammer...(lightly) dont try to kill it or anything.... your starter may be ceasing due to corrosion on the solenoid.... a light tap will free it up... but i agree with the previous post.... clean your grounds.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
The next time it doesn't start, WITH THE CAR IN NEUTRAL, and the ignition in the 2 position, run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter solenoid after disconnecting the connector(it's the small wire not the big one). This will turn over the starter and should start the car. Be careful and be sure the car is in neutral. If the car starts, the problem is likely the ignition switch.

Be very careful not to touch that positive wire to anything metal as it will spark so be safe.
ok thanks. I will try this the next time it happens.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=mike_1212;49920981]I agree... clean grounds.... dont assume they have good contact... make sure. Also, next time this problem happens... tap your starter with a wrench... or a hammer...(lightly) dont try to kill it or anything.... your starter may be ceasing due to corrosion on the solenoid.... a light tap will free it up... but i agree with the previous post.... clean your grounds.[/QUOTE
I have the battery cables socking in cleaner right now. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm gonna have to go with poor battery cable connectors. I had a '93 Accord with very crappy connectors and even though they were clean and seemed tight, a donor battery would not crank over the engine even though it was plenty strong enough. A little fiddling around with the connections, however, and the engine cranked and fired right up.

It seems to take VERY little slop in battery cable connectors to wreck your day...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny

I think that the connection to the solenoid was causing my issue. That wire seemed to be a little loose so I adjusted the gaps in the connector ends to cause a tighter fit. That seems to have fixed the problem. I want to say thanks to every one who took time to give me help fixing it. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guy for helping me figure this problem out. It was a bad ground.