Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Removing carpet from trunk or how else to clean out laundry detergent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing carpet from trunk or how else to clean out laundry detergent?

I saw some similar threads here but they were mostly for the civic. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I have a 2012 Fit Sport. Shortly after I bought it I had a 64oz bottle of All concentrated laundry detergent come open and soak the trunk area. I was wondering if there was a way to remove the carpet from the back so I could hose it out. The soap has leaked into the spare tire area too. Or does anyone have a better idea for how to clean it? Everyone I've talked to has no idea other than maybe a hose and a shopvac and many hours....
Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing carpet from trunk or how else to clean out laundry detergent?

Wow! That's a LOT of detergent. In your place, I would use a Bissell "Little Green Clean Machine" spot remover/vacuum. Instead of using cleaning solution and water in the supply tank, I would use plain water. I would also buy some de-foamer liquid from a grocery store carpet cleaning machine rental department, and add some de-foamer to the recovery tank of the Bissell machine. The machine would inject plain water into the carpet to dissolve the detergent, and suck the water/detergent into the recovery tank. This would take a LOONNGG time with many cycles of dissolving and recovering the detergent and water.

I suggest this simply because I own that machine and it is what I would try in your situation. If you want to try a free solution, just remove all of the plastic panels from the sides of the car and try to pull up the carpet, which is probably held down with some glue here and there around the periphery. Whether you clean the carpet inside or outside of the car, rust on the floor will probably be an issue unless you can completely dry out the carpet.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Removing carpet from trunk or how else to clean out laundry detergent?

Some hardware store rent out carpet cleaning machines. Rent one and use plain water in the tank.