Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Alternator VS Fuel Pump Relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Alternator VS Fuel Pump Relay

Hi all,

I've been having a string of bad luck with my 93 Accord Wagon.
It started off by stalling whenever i got to a red light or stop sign and would be idling, or if i went to hit the gas after being stopped - it would immediately just conk out. The first few times this happened it would start back up and zip away, but after a while it started taking a few more cranks to start up.

Finally one day it wouldn't start, so I got some advice and decided on getting a new fuel filter and fuel pump. Upon inspection there was a ton of crud in the tank and filter/ fuel pump sock, so while it was good to get that taken care of (I'm only at 112k), it didn't solve my problem.

After driving it around about two miles after changing the fuel pump, it stalled again. managed to drive it home. The next morning it started fine, idled for two minutes, and then immediately died. I tried to start it and it would just crank over and over. I noticed the battery light flickering dimly as I did this. Does this indicate something?

Apparently my alternator is on its' way out, but I can't really get the car anywhere for someone to do voltage tests on it. It does that squealing thing when it starts up but goes away eventually. After doing all of this expensive repair I'm weary on dropping another couple hundred to fix something unless I'm SURE it's the problem.

Spark plugs are fairly new, the car is in great shape, has some serious vibration in the steering wheel due to rear engine mount issues but as far as I'm told this isn't an immediate issue. I'm going to clean the battery terminals tomorrow to see if that helps but I highly doubt that's the problem.

So my question is: there are any tell-tale signs to be able to indicate whether I'm having a Fuel Pump/Main Relay issue or if this is an alternator issue? Or maybe something else all together?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Alternator VS Fuel Pump Relay

if u remove the alternator u can have it checked at a auto parts store. the fuel pressure can be checked with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the service port. im not sure where its @ on a 1993 accord but it might be on the fuel rail might be the fuel filter itself. download a FSM(factory service manual) to be sure. the main relay can be check via FSM also with a multimeter connected to the fuel pump wires in the truck/back seat. if u get voltage, the relay is fine. most of this info is in the FSM

also u might have a belt issue since the engine squeals on startup. normally alternators dont go bad unless something is spilled on them. these cars have a good location for the alternator but testing it wont hurt anything.

if everything checks out then u have other issues
Old 07-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a digital volt ohm meter from the local store and check with the car running what the battery voltage is reading at idle. A fully charged battery will read 12.6. At 12.4 your battery is already discharged significantly and at 12.2 well you get the idea. So if your alternator is charging the system correctly you should be around 13 or higher. If not then It would be safe to say that your charging system is not working correctly. This would be a good and easy start to working your way through the issues you're having. If the fuel system was properly cleaned and working well then I would suspect the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. But start with the battery voltage checking and lets go from there.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the battery light flickering may have been from cranking and excessive cranking time.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the fuel pump relay today (was able to get one cheap- i opened up the old one and the soldering points were cracked/discolored/not looking too good) and cleaned off the corroded battery terminals, and it does the same thing- cranks over and over. The battery seems good, it's just something is preventing it from actually starting up.

I can't even get the thing to start so I guess my best next move is to get the alternator out and get it tested for voltage? is this an easy task to do?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, if you have juice to crank with whats the point of checking the alternator? It's not stopping you from starting it. Check fuel pressure and that your fpr is working correctly
Old 08-01-2014, 02:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

likely its ur fuel pressure/pump. i would bet $100 it happens more when its hot outside?!

Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I'll work on checking the fuel pressure but I have a new fuel filter, new fuel pump, gas tank got cleaned out, and i put in a new fuel pump relay yesterday. I have a few people telling me to check the fuel pressure so I'll make that my next step. Thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Step back and think about it this way - what is missing, fuel or spark.

You jumped straight to fuel - didn't see any tests done to confirm. Cheap way, pull the intake tube off the TB. Open the butterfly all the way. Give it a good 5 second spray of carb cleaner. Try to start the car, does it run a few seconds and then die.....or nothing.

Have you tested for spark at the plugs? Should have a nice blue spark.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like how he is buying new parts before testing the old. I recommend to check the pressure. May or may not be the issue
Old 08-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, my point is that there are "other" ways to test if fuel is the issue without spending much money. A can of carb cleaner costs less that $5 and has many uses.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by greenmachin93LX
Alright, I'll work on checking the fuel pressure but I have a new fuel filter, new fuel pump, gas tank got cleaned out, and i put in a new fuel pump relay yesterday. I have a few people telling me to check the fuel pressure so I'll make that my next step. Thanks guys.
not saying it is the fuel pump but there is a video on youtube.com where a guy had a feul pump put in 2 years ago and the old one was in his trunk. so basically this would be his 3rd fuel pump. beware of cheap ones.

the carb cleaner/starter fluid would be a spark test. if the car starts with the cleaner then spark is ok since the alternate fuel source was enuff to start the car
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
not saying it is the fuel pump but there is a video on youtube.com where a guy had a feul pump put in 2 years ago and the old one was in his trunk. so basically this would be his 3rd fuel pump. beware of cheap ones.

the carb cleaner/starter fluid would be a spark test. if the car starts with the cleaner then spark is ok since the alternate fuel source was enuff to start the car
you're both right. IF it fires with the spray then you have spark and air, but it also means you are not getting fuel.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The couple of times in 21 years that my 93 Accord has shown the symptoms yours is showing, the culprit was the Ignition Control Module (ICM), also known as the Ignitor. It's not that it doesn't work, but as it ages, the spark it produces becomes inconsistent and consistent spark is crucial to keep combustion going. It might be working fine one minute and then stall you out a few minutes later, and be working fine again 5 minutes after that. If you keep going until it's shot, it wont start at all, or might start on occasion, run for a few minutes and then stall. That tiny part is the heart & soul of the ignition system.