Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reconstructing armrest, material?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Reconstructing armrest, material?

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You can get a sheet of acrylic or some other plastic, heat it to a desired curvature, and use that as a base. We used to do it all the time back when we modded computer cases.
Originally Posted by tony_2018
****! Yeah acrylic. Forgot about that.
Best idea evar! That definitely sounds like it will work..! I appreciate it guys, now I have a new course of attack

Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I have not run into this same problem yet. All the arm rests I have seen have been intact. However, the top portion of most door panels I see, including my 96 EX, are broken. This is the area that if you have the windows down and you like to rest your arm partially outside the car while holding the steering wheel adds an extra load onto the upper plastic portion of the door panel. Honda made a horrible design flaw choosing this composite.

I had thought about using fiberglass to fix this similar problem for a long time. I just did not want to waste the money on a vehicle I was not planning on keeping. I want a 2000 EM1 Electron Blue Civic instead for my EK3 donnor vehicle. But after seeing this information, I have changed my mind. I don't think it would be a waste of money, I think it would provide me the experience I need to preform the job in the future effectively and hopefully any mistakes I may make will be on the 96 EX and not the EM1.

Thank you for posting this information. It shall be great reference material for a future project.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
I have not run into this same problem yet. All the arm rests I have seen have been intact. However, the top portion of most door panels I see, including my 96 EX, are broken. This is the area that if you have the windows down and you like to rest your arm partially outside the car while holding the steering wheel adds an extra load onto the upper plastic portion of the door panel. Honda made a horrible design flaw choosing this composite.

I had thought about using fiberglass to fix this similar problem for a long time. I just did not want to waste the money on a vehicle I was not planning on keeping. I want a 2000 EM1 Electron Blue Civic instead for my EK3 donnor vehicle. But after seeing this information, I have changed my mind. I don't think it would be a waste of money, I think it would provide me the experience I need to preform the job in the future effectively and hopefully any mistakes I may make will be on the 96 EX and not the EM1.

Thank you for posting this information. It shall be great reference material for a future project.
Hayyy, I has ebp em1

And no problem brother, I'll create a DIY thread once I get around to doing this during the weekend and I'll update this post with the link to it as well..!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC
Hayyy, I has ebp em1

And no problem brother, I'll create a DIY thread once I get around to doing this during the weekend and I'll update this post with the link to it as well..!
That is the most gorgeous Civic ever made. One day I will find one that is mostly all original and pampered. Great car.

I would follow your builds anywhere.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
There is no sureshot in reinforcing it from breaking in the future unless you want to have some shop mold you a replica using sheet metal, other than that just don't lean on it too much or it will break.
DOW Great Stuff Window and Door Foam. has worked for me for about 4 months now. i can really put my weight down on the door panel and it wont budge. cures in about an hour.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
That is the most gorgeous Civic ever made. One day I will find one that is mostly all original and pampered. Great car.

I would follow your builds anywhere.
Thanks brother I appreciate it..! Mine's all stock except for my Comptech Icebox Intake, Hyper Medallion II full exhaust, Tokico/Neuspeed suspension, and my wheels.. And I'm only just over 100k miles

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
DOW Great Stuff Window and Door Foam. has worked for me for about 4 months now. i can really put my weight down on the door panel and it wont budge. cures in about an hour.
I'd like to see a writeup on this.. Most foams I've ever used are super messy.. Even when used in moderation and accurately..
Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before:

after

its very solid and wont bow and leave the door panel mis-shaped allowed me to keep my stock tan interior
Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I recommended has worked on multiple projects such as replacing all the tabs on this dash I got out of the junk yard. And sounds a lot easier than anything else in this thread!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
What I recommended has worked on multiple projects such as replacing all the tabs on this dash I got out of the junk yard. And sounds a lot easier than anything else in this thread!

What is that on there..?? Looks like a thick glue or something..
Old 07-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went to the junk yard and found the best looking door panels I could find. One of them had the armrest cracked. I used strips of plastic from my original door panels to reenforce the cracked area. I used abs/pvc cement. I used the dust and shavings from cutting strips to size mixed with the cement to fill in any voids in the crack on the side that fabric will be laid on for a smooth surface. I can now put my weight (225lbs.) on my door panel and it doesnt budge.
This.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This.
Oops sorry, looked past that.. We had field training the other night and I was on about 2 hours of sleep..

And thanks for the pics and details, great info..!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

This.
Interesting idea. Just wish I could fit a whole dash in my trunk LOL.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This.
For those three curved pieces that you used to support, were they flat pieces that you heated up and bent to that shape..??
Old 08-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I used a heat gun. The glue can be found at just about any hardware store.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I used a heat gun. The glue can be found at just about any hardware store.
That's what I thought

And there's an ACE hardware right next to me, I'm sure I could pickup that cement from there.. I'm gonna give this a shot since it's the most straight forward attack I think.. I have 2 spare door panels at my folks house that are all beatup and I'll just use those for scrap parts lol..