Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedometer stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer stuck

The speedometer will stay around 20mph regardless of going zero or 70mph. Every now and then it will start back working. Sometimes I can trigger it to start working again by jabbing the tripometer reset push button/pole when on interstate and then the needle will zoom from 20mph to the correct speed. That works only sometimes though, probably 1 out of 5 hits. What do you think is the problem and what should i do to troubleshoot this?

First I thought it was probably the vehicle speed senor mounted on the transmission. But then i was able to make it start working now and then by jabbing the tripometer reset. So i figured it was something within the dash.

This is a 5speed MT '98 Civic hatchback DX D16Y7.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Speedometer stuck

I have a car that has this problem, I narrowed it down to the wiring from the speed sensor into the harness. I haven't re-wired it yet but if its not working and I **** with that bit of wire it'l work for a while.

seems to me, though, that your issue is in the gauge cluster. IV read several cases of them failing on civics, but only after someone has fucked with the cluster.

hopefully someone helps you troubleshoot the wiring and if you need to I guess you'l end up replacing the cluster.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I pulled the cluster out of my car. Then took it inside my house to look closer at things. I broken down the cluster and finally removed the speedometer, the only component not functioning. The soldering looks good and without shorts on the back of the board. Someone said elsewhere it is likely the IC onboard that goes bad tHough could be another component on the board I've yet to test every component.

However, I needed to make a roadtrip so installed the cluster but now my CHECK ENGINE light is on. Every gauge and light in the panel is funcitoning correctly after reinstallation just still not my speedometer that hangs around 20mph.

The only other thing I did was check fuse #15 the 7.5amp fuse for the VSS vehicle speed sensor under my dash then put it back in.

Forget the speedometer not working... I wanting to know Why would I now have a CHECK ENGINE light as soon as the car cranks again???

PS... I am also the one cranking and driving my car without a B pipe bc it rusted and rotted away very LOUD. But i figured that wouldnt have anything to do with new CHECK ENGINE light especially since the light came on right after reinstalling the cluster.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remove VSS, (leave hooked up to wiring harness), turn ign key on have someone spin the VSS sensor and see if the speedo gauge jumps or moves at all