Notices
Group Threads Club, Large Multi-Region Group, "Squad" Discussions

The Official EF Discussion Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Official EF Discussion Thread

Thanks Charlie, i am leaning toward the RDX.

Question, do you guys seriously think our cars will be the 'old collectible hot rods' of our generation. My car is pretty original overall, has not been restored or anything, definitely gets use, i call it more of a survivor, lol.

Anywho, I've been thinking of 'hot rodding it a bit more, lol. Nothing crazy, but here's a list of work I have on my dream list -

B18C
B18C Trans in a cable case (I hate hydro conversions)
Slight flare to fenders, want to use 225's on 7.5's maybe 8's, not stance
Swap seats with Corbeau GTS II's 9either re-wrapped in stock Si fabric or just have rear seat wrapped in matching Corbeau fabric (black)
Black headliner
Redye carpet
That CF wing you guys mentioned that uses stock mounts
And if I won the lotto - I'd have the f/r bumpers done in CF, integrating a f/r lip, but I'd paint them leaving only the rubstrips, grill and lips unpainted. Then I'd have to add some new moldings made in CF just to match, lol.

Power windows (i like being able to drop both windows easily while i drive on the street).

Not sure I have any ideas on my interior panels - havent really though of anything but cleaning up the stock pieces

Heck while I'm wishing, I'd like to actually do a custom CF hood, based on the SIR hood (keep my USDM front) but incorporate a raised rear edge to keep under hood temps low and add an integrated small air scoop, a la the old 300Z's but a little sleeker and lower profile, ducted into the stock airbox.

Hell, I'll add a custom billet replica of my Ewing Fins or type X's in a 15x7.5 or 8's.

too much? tame? I want to have fun with the car, i enjoy the hell out of driving it, i've owned and loved many cars, new and old, but I think this car really is my classic/hot rod. I had one brand new at 16, a 91 Black Si. Heck it was the car I owned when I met my wife back in High School (many a day missed going to Hermosa Beach, lol).

So I want to hold onto it, but I dont want it to be one of those things where someone looks at it and goes, DAMN, but the wrong way, lol.

I do plan to still daily/track/etc so I trust you guys since you all actually use your cars - except maybe Rob, lol.

PS - I'd replicate my door lock assembly in billet alum - the lock barrel and the handle specifically - both prone to breakage especially if you have power door lock motors

Last edited by RSZero1; 07-17-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hum... not hot rod of our gen, but just more so old school cars of our generation.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
hum... not hot rod of our gen, but just more so old school cars of our generation.
So there's no real reason for us to keep too close to stock anyway right? Just enjoy them and keep them clean overall right?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

RSZero- seems like what you said is what an enthusiast is about. Enjoy your car and do it right the first time.

IMO- the destroyed fenders, rust and diamond racing wheels are not helping.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
RSZero- seems like what you said is what an enthusiast is about. Enjoy your car and do it right the first time.

IMO- the destroyed fenders, rust and diamond racing wheels are not helping.
thanks Coop. Agreed, i still dont get the 'cheap' creative but totally wrong destructive fixes - just takes another good car off the road...

I have to share, i'm older, but look young, and one of my co-workers saw me driving out of the parking structure and said, who's the young punk in the slammed honda, lol. Car's not that low and i'm not that young...

i still love it though
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what a busy weekend.
Drove 14hr from MN to KY for IA @ Kentucky Speedway on Saturday
Drove 7hrs from KY to MI for WMHM 2014 @ Gingerman raceway on Sunday.
Drove 10hrs from MI to MN

IA was good turn out & plenty of staff on hand.
There were many nice cars & great vendors in attendance.

I parked 30-40yards from the dyno.
It was tempting to strap down the ef but I changed my mind after I saw how a car almost fell off the dyno. Also the opperator was just ripping through the gears 1-5th WOT. Reckless, unrespectful & completely unnecessary. Seemed like he was just trying to get cars to break on purpose.

I did want to try to autox but LMAO at how they had the autocross section setup (half banked on slope). There was plenty of flat spacing everywhere INSIDE and outside the Speedway, but some how they picked a weird narrow spot on the oval track.

WMHM 2014 event by far was the highlight of the weekend.
Gingerman is such a fun track with nice back to back corners. I wished I could of attended all 3 days. Dennis made arrangments to secure me a spot for Sunday. I finally got to meet the EF guys (luke, chris, adam, kyle). I'll be back for many more gingerman events (gridlife/wmhm/wangfest ect)

pictures...?
...will come later if i have time. lol
Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
what a busy weekend.
Drove 14hr from MN to KY for IA @ Kentucky Speedway on Saturday
Drove 7hrs from KY to MI for WMHM 2014 @ Gingerman raceway on Sunday.
Drove 10hrs from MI to MN

WMHM 2014 event by far was the highlight of the weekend.
Gingerman is such a fun track with nice back to back corners. I wished I could of attended all 3 days. Dennis made arrangments to secure me a spot for Sunday. I finally got to meet the EF guys (luke, chris, adam, kyle). I'll be back for many more gingerman events (gridlife/wmhm/wangfest ect)

pictures...?
...will come later if i have time. lol
Charlie is an animal driving over 30 hours! WMHM14 was so much fun as usual. We watched the entire Wagon Attack trilogy, with Luke and Adam, very special moment for me. I got to hear about behind the scenes things. Chris ran everything smoothly and made a killing on my annual WMHM t-shirt wardrobe purchases. TallKyle's KRX actually survived the whole event and ran wonderfully, a first for his car to last the entire event! My EF, Ugly Ed was crappy on Friday, a little better on Saturday after some tuning, then the distributor broke. We hung out a South Haven beach then later when we went go-karting and I caught a frog then let him go by the track's pond. A buddy saved the day and borrowed me distributor his after his radiator blew. Charlie came by on Sunday, I gave him a ride along, so much fun. Later in the day I ended up running a personal best of 1:49.7. Those of you that haven't made it out to a WMHM event are missing out on so much, you should make it a point to attend at least one in your life. Best event and group of guys ever!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha
I should of listend and skipped out on IA.

It would cool that I was able take the kids out on the track during cruise session.

Congrats on the PB on that track.
You were killing it out there. I'm glad I got to see it first hand.

here are a few pictures

Last edited by Charlie Moua; 07-23-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aww thats awesome! And that folks, is what its all about!!

Who's who in the pic? Man I wish we all lived closer together...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some pictures of their cars at the itr expo @ road america
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 PM
something different

still not recovered from wmhm, and running a 14 hour Lemons race at autobahn tomorrow?....haha

good to meet charlie! Sorry If I seemed busy....its a crazy couple days from an organization-standpoint... By far the best weekend of every year, for the past 11 years...(the first 3 were in parking lots/driveways, and those were fun too!)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redzcstandardhatch
still not recovered from wmhm, and running a 14 hour Lemons race at autobahn tomorrow?....haha

good to meet charlie! Sorry If I seemed busy....its a crazy couple days from an organization-standpoint... By far the best weekend of every year, for the past 11 years...(the first 3 were in parking lots/driveways, and those were fun too!)
haha i'm financially recovering from the weekend trip.

Meeting you guys was like meeting a extended family!
Hahah any time I can go to tract/show event and NOT be running around making sure everything is going okay is my vacation.
I didn't want to pull you way from your track duties.
Next year I'll be sure to come up to have some more time to catch up = )

14hr event? how any drivers.... hope the weather is not to humid.

Last edited by Charlie Moua; 07-27-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
something different

5 drivers in one car (our lemons crx, 1984 vintage!), 4 in another (a buddies 94 gsr)

I drove the gs3 for a 3.5 hour stint, autobahn country club. 24 hours of lemons race... That car got 4th of 101, my crx got 25th of 101
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man, you guys look like you had a ton of fun!

Anyone have recommendations for extended top hats? Are the ebay specials okay for these?

I'd like to get a set of 4 so I can swap the suspension as a unit as well.

Almost time for my brake swap upgrade as well!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ground control, Karcepts and function form all have extended top hats available now. It does depend on your struts if they can be used or not though. Progress suspension does not recommend them for there's but I think Konis can be used in conjuction. I think Karcets also have spherical bearings in there's as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 AM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is anyone running Hardrace extended roll center adjuster (lower ball joints) in their EF/ED knuckles?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:05 AM
something different

oem ball joint geometry ftw
Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 AM
Detailing Mastermind

How many of you guys are running an aftermarket front camber kit?

Ive been asking around some of the local racers who are pretty quick, and they all seem to just be running natural camber with oem control arms. Just lowering/raising the vehicle to get the camber needed. I am currently on stock uppers, but havent done a real alignment, so dont know what my actual camber settings are.

I mostly lowered my car to gain more camber and therefore more fender clearance so I dont rub. Id prefer to raise the car back up but need the additional camber to go without rubbing. Not sure who has the best design for these cars for UCA yet..
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run skunk2 front camber kit.
Works fine for now.

I haven't paid much attention to the settings as I'm still focusing on my driving skills.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Presidential_Detail
How many of you guys are running an aftermarket front camber kit?

Ive been asking around some of the local racers who are pretty quick, and they all seem to just be running natural camber with oem control arms. Just lowering/raising the vehicle to get the camber needed. I am currently on stock uppers, but havent done a real alignment, so dont know what my actual camber settings are.

I mostly lowered my car to gain more camber and therefore more fender clearance so I dont rub. Id prefer to raise the car back up but need the additional camber to go without rubbing. Not sure who has the best design for these cars for UCA yet..
Havent done any camber adjusters f/r yet. Following the natural drop camber for now.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:17 PM
CRX God

Mugen...
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 PM
something different

oem arms/etc on all my track cars,,,, I sort of despise the aftermarket stuff, and we can't run it in my scca class.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redzcstandardhatch
oem arms/etc on all my track cars,,,, I sort of despise the aftermarket stuff, and we can't run it in my scca class.
Yeah thats true, dont want to put myself out of classes either, lol.

hey Jamie, is that rear wing the one that mounts up to the stock points?

Question for you guys - i know most people buy either a race wheel or a street wheel, most dont qualify as both, and some are never actually used as intended, dont want to debate that - I know BBS for example is a wheel that looks great on the street, and is actually strong and light enough for the track.

Do you think something like a fin - Work Ewing fin to be exact, can handle some track duty? Roadcourse, no wheel to wheel. Too brittle?

Last edited by RSZero1; 07-29-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official EF Discussion Thread