Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

00 CRV oil leak 2.0 motor

Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 CRV oil leak 2.0 motor

I just replaced the oil pan gasket, oil pressure switch, and valve cover gasket. Still leaks. Hard to tell where the leak is originating. There is a pipe above the oil filter, maybe about one inch in diameter, runs length of engine. Seems too big for an oil line, but it is wet. What is this tube, and would it leak oil? The leak seems to be on the oil filter side of the engine. What else up in that area would leak oil? Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 CRV oil leak 2.0 motor

Do you happen to have a picture of this tube? I am not sure if those come with a oil cooler or not but its possible. I would say the best way to find it would be to clean the engine as best you can and drive it till you think it has leaked and check it. Also check to make sure you did not cut the valve cover gasket and its still in place. If i can help i will in anyway i can .
Old 07-23-2014, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boost2014
Do you happen to have a picture of this tube? I am not sure if those come with a oil cooler or not but its possible. I would say the best way to find it would be to clean the engine as best you can and drive it till you think it has leaked and check it. Also check to make sure you did not cut the valve cover gasket and its still in place. If i can help i will in anyway i can .
I did inspect the valve cover gasket with mirror, and all seems well. I don't believe this has a cooler, and this tube is an inch or more in diameter. It runs the lenth of the engine, and it is above the oil filter. I have cleaned the engine off, but I can't identify the origin. The oil is scattered everywhere, I suppose the airflow just spreads it around. I put it on the lift, and ran the motor, but nothing obvious. I will try to get a picture of the tube. Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The first generation CR-Vs do not have an oil cooler. That pipe above the oil filter is a coolant hose if I remember correctly.

How much oil are you leaking? The only oil leak I have ever had on my 2000 is a tiny bit from the valve cover. It was so small it was not even measurable on the dipstick. It was easily remedied with a new gasket.

With oil leaks, always start from top to bottom.

Now for some recommendations, try the easy stuff first. Even the best of us can forget to fully tighten an oil filter, or leave the old gasket on! Also, check the cam shaft and the distributor seals, they are known to dry up and fail. The PCV valve and surrounding hardware can also leak if the valve is not in good condition.

Check this easy to access stuff before you get deep into the engine for crank seals and the such.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SirFerret
The first generation CR-Vs do not have an oil cooler. That pipe above the oil filter is a coolant hose if I remember correctly.

How much oil are you leaking? The only oil leak I have ever had on my 2000 is a tiny bit from the valve cover. It was so small it was not even measurable on the dipstick. It was easily remedied with a new gasket.

With oil leaks, always start from top to bottom.

Now for some recommendations, try the easy stuff first. Even the best of us can forget to fully tighten an oil filter, or leave the old gasket on! Also, check the cam shaft and the distributor seals, they are known to dry up and fail. The PCV valve and surrounding hardware can also leak if the valve is not in good condition.

Thanks for the info. It is leaking more than acceptable limits. There was oil on the ledge under the filter/oil pressure switch. I can't tell if it originates from that area, or it is running down from the top. I cleaned the motor off again, and stuffed some absorbent towel under the filter/oil pressure switch. I am going to drive it today, and see what the results are. Maybe with the towels in place I can get a better idea of where the oil is coming from. More to follow. I have used two different filters, STP and Purolator. I don't need a Honda filter do I?? Also, the oil seems to be on the filter side of the motor .

Check this easy to access stuff before you get deep into the engine for crank seals and the such.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I may have found the issue. I replaced the oil pressure switch with an aftermarket. The nut on the original switch is smaller than the normal oil pressure switch nut. It appears that the nut on the new switch is hitting a protrusion on the block prior to the pipe threads actually sealing. I will get one from Honda for my next step. Thanks to all.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still troubleshooting my oil leak. There is a small pipe plug, below the valve cover and above the intake manifold. There is oil beneath this plug. Would this be an oil plug? It is maybe a 1/4 or smaller plug. This oil leak is driving me crazy. Would this be an oil plug?? Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I put a picture of the pipe plug in an album. I am not sure how you can get to it. Still trying to figure out how to get the pictures in the right spot. I clicked on share, but not sure what to do from there.

OK, if you click on my name, you can view the picture that I posted. Long way around, but I guess it works. Thanks

Last edited by tommyleea; 07-29-2014 at 05:28 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet with any oil leak is to wash/clean the engine bay and wait for it to leak again. Otherwise you're going to be stuck scratching your head looking at all of the new and old oil in there.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Sigh.....seriously with no picture the only holes back that should be there are the oil pressure, knock sensor (if it has one), coolant hole from the coolant log. There's also an opening, I can't rmember clearly, that is suppose to lead directly to the intake manifold.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Sigh.....seriously with no picture the only holes back that should be there are the oil pressure, knock sensor (if it has one), coolant hole from the coolant log. There's also an opening, I can't rmember clearly, that is suppose to lead directly to the intake manifold.
If you click on my profile you can see the picture
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Fish Twig

That's not a pipe, that's also not on the block, it seems to be part of the head above the intake manifold. It doesn't look like it's leaking from that hole though. My suggestion is to clean everything up with brake cleaner, jack up the crv, start the car and check the area again. From the bottom with a good flashlight and the top.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Fish Twig

If you really think it's that tiny hole then get an Allen wrench and take it off, get some liquid gasket and put a little bit around it and tighten it back up.