Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Oil In Spark Plug Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil In Spark Plug Tubes

My 99 prelude has been misfiring so first thing I did was go check plugs/wires. When pulling out the first wire, I found a bunch of oil in the spark plug tube, followed by the remaining 3 as well.

I will be getting a valve cover gasket kit that includes the spark plug tube seals. What I want to know is.... are the spark plug tubes built/forged into the head or can they be removed?

If they can be removed that means that there are more seals, or some type of sealant (like hondabond) where the tubes connect. If this is the case, I want to make sure I deal with it all at once, so I can then install new plugs and not have this problem again. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil In Spark Plug Tubes

just switch over those rubber bushings included with your valve cover gasket kit and you should be dry in there ! dont over tighten that valve cover and make sure your wires are dry before putting them back on the plugs..
Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by adamthc4thgen
just switch over those rubber bushings included with your valve cover gasket kit and you should be dry in there ! dont over tighten that valve cover and make sure your wires are dry before putting them back on the plugs..
sounds good. I just wasn't sure because the older accord motor that ericthecarguy did this job on in his youtube vid, had the upper seals, like what comes in the kit I got, but also had lower seals. However that was an older motor with the rocker shafts on top of the cam shafts. For H22, it looks (just from what I've seen in pics) like the tubes are actually a part of the head, which means there would be no lower seals, but not sure.

Some people who did the job on that same motor as in ETCG's video, said even though it did have lower seals, the kit didn't come with them, so I wasn't sure if that was the same case for H22.

I certainly won't over tighten the valve cover, I bought a torque wrench so I can torque them to spec. I'll also be doing a valve adjustment in the near future (long overdue) which is the main reason I bought the torque wrench.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i should do the valve ajustment too.. lol