Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

2 or 4 pole kill-switch required?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lostforawhile

if the alternator is turning, you still have voltage coming from the alternator, and if you cut off the battery without turning off the alternator, it looses the stabilizing effect of the battery and you end up with a huge voltage spike, the engine will continue to run as you've only cut off halve of the voltage sources
Mmmm idk buddy.

You're saying if you remove voltage from the field the alternator will continue to produce voltage?

No.

Maybe you're thinking of a generator?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2 or 4 pole kill-switch required?

you guys are so busy arguing about where the switch is made, that you missed the original point, you need at least a four pole if you are running an alternator, battery needs to cut off, alternator needs to cut off. Other circuit needs to interrupt field current to the alternator.
No, you can do it with a 2 pole as well.

And without excitation, the alternator will not make voltage. Even if it's spinning.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Mmmm idk buddy.

You're saying if you remove voltage from the field the alternator will continue to produce voltage?

No.

Maybe you're thinking of a generator?
no I said you need to cut off the field, if you just disconnect the battery, voltage is still being introduced into the electrical system
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 AM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by tepid1
No, you can do it with a 2 pole as well.

And without excitation, the alternator will not make voltage. Even if it's spinning.
I understand that, but voltage will still be in the system if just the battery is disconnected, voltage produced will still feed the field unless you cut the field
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that, but voltage will still be in the system if just the battery is disconnected, voltage produced will still feed the field unless you cut the field
I see what you're trying to say now. Yes, the alternator excitement needs to be cut.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I see what you're trying to say now. Yes, the alternator excitement needs to be cut.
So you are agreeing the solid state option is also inferior?

I don't get it.

Provide the field with its on power source from the same batt.
But that switch will remove voltage from the field faster?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:05 PM
longest project ever

I don't get it.

no, you have two sources of power in the electrical system, the battery and the alternator, just cutting the battery doesn't cut the field, as the alternator is still producing voltage, you need to cut both the battery and the alternator field at the same time, or voltage from the alternator keeps feeding into the system and powering the electrical system and the field, also it can cause a very high voltage spike, cutting the battery without the alternator, and can fry a lot of your electronics, just like disconnecting the battery while the engine is running, something you should never do, the battery load helps keep the alternator voltage under control, along with the regulator. as far as a race car, i wouldn't want to trust anything but a good mechanical switch, if you are the one trapped in the car after a wreck, do you want to trust a switch you can hit and you know everything is dead, or an electronic switch?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You understand how a circuit works, yes?
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 PM
longest project ever

You understand how a circuit works, yes?
well now that you have added the alternator field to the circuit
Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM
longest project ever

for the record I believed you were talking about stock wiring with a cutoff for the battery, no one mentioned moving the field power to behind the cutoff switch, works fine in a race car just dont leave the master on or it will drain the battery
Old 07-27-2014, 04:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah the output from the alternator should be before the solenoid or ss relay.

I thought that was already implied.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

for the record I believed you were talking about stock wiring with a cutoff for the battery, no one mentioned moving the field power to behind the cutoff switch, works fine in a race car just dont leave the master on or it will drain the battery
Its not behind the cutoff its in front of it. The solenoid opens no more current to the field and the output from the alternator cant reach the rest of the circuit because its behind the solenoid
Old 07-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't get it.

No. That's not what I am saying or said. Stop being a douche for just a minute. It's clear that you're trying to start a pissing contest.

I've given my personal opinion after having dealt with all this in the past. Take my experience for what it's worth. I'm done and I'm not playing these stupid keyboard warrior games.

I really don't know why I bother with this forum anymore....
Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I wasn't trying to start a pissing match. LOSTFORAWHILE got everyone confused.

ss relay works. (more expensive, looks cool) ( fails closed)
external switch works (long 4 gauge cable) (can fail open or closed)
12v solenoid works. ( Fails in the closed position)

They all have their flaws

only 100 percent guarantee to cut off power will be a manual pole switch through the bumper.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Facts:
SSRs have a > 2 million hr lifespan (on average)
SSR's don't have contacts that suffer from arcing and breakdown
SSR's switch faster than EMR (electromagnetic relays)
SSR's are not prone to vibration issues
SSR's draw close to zero current to operate and pickup their respective contacts

Yes, they fail in a closed state. Let's look at it this way since this is in the drag forum....
In the middle of a race which would you rather have?
A.) A SSR fail closed and you continue to run your car safely.
B.) A EMR fail open and you lose all power to your vehicle, you could lose or you could crash.

A car can be configured many ways, but what if it were to have power steering? What if it had an electric booster or even an electric water pump or vacuum pump. Now you've lost a motor and lost steering.

Not saying it's the only solution, but an SSR really is the BEST current solution. It's expensive, but most of the best parts are. It's like that for a reason.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM
longest project ever

Facts:
SSR's draw close to zero current to operate and pickup their respective contacts

Yes, they fail in a closed state. Let's look at it this way since this is in the drag forum....
B.) A EMR fail open and you lose all power to your vehicle, you could lose or you could crash.

A car can be configured many ways, but what if it were to have power steering? What if it had an electric booster or even an electric water pump or vacuum pump. Now you've lost a motor and lost steering.

Not saying it's the only solution, but an SSR really is the BEST current solution. It's expensive, but most of the best parts are. It's like that for a reason.
I dont think I've ever heard of a quality manual cutoff switch failing and opening, they've been used for decades in racing, yes it's a little more wiring, but the idea if you get in a wreck, you can kill the power NOW, not worry of a SSR is going to stay closed,
Old 07-27-2014, 05:30 PM
longest project ever

if there was a battery in the back, I would run the positive lead through a switch like the flaming river switch, then to the back and loop it through a bumper switch to the battery, that gives you the option to kill the electrical system before the track workers can even get to you. it's not hard to mount a battery cable well enough in the car to maintain it's integrity in a crash
Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Facts:

Aaaand the horse is beat.

I agree with everything you said.

If we stuck with simple things that work where would society be?.

Lock it up
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. That's not what I am saying or said. Stop being a douche for just a minute. It's clear that you're trying to start a pissing contest.

I've given my personal opinion after having dealt with all this in the past. Take my experience for what it's worth. I'm done and I'm not playing these stupid keyboard warrior games.

I really don't know why I bother with this forum anymore....

Isn't it typical though - people ask questions, then argue when they get answers they don't like.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by a1320addict
The solid state is the preferred option as there are no moving parts, and will eliminate lengthy runs of cable - resulting in decreased weight, and more likely than not eliminating excessive voltage drop issues due to using 'cheap' audiostore wire to run an average of 16'.
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is "solid state" mean?

Also what do you consider "cheap" audiostore wiring?
Most of the wiring I planned on using is pretty dense & cost $5 per ft for 0/2 gauge wiring.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PaulVR6 - And what happens in the event the car was wired by DIY'er Joe with fuel pumps on a switch, and not triggered by the ECU? Driver crashes, is dazed, someone shuts the 'kill switch' you're mentioning which removes power from the ECU, while the pumps are still flowing. Kaboom. If the car smacks up, the motor will likely stall - who the hell cares if the switch will prevent it from restarting?
Sorry for getting back to this so late, but it seems to have gone on without me.

The purpose of the switch is to turn the engine and electrical accessories off and keep them in a safe state (off). You don't need to wire the battery/alt through the switch, just the electrical functions that run off of them. Its a simple difference, but important. and makes the wiring much easier and cheaper. In your example, the fuel pump *should* be wired through the main relay that's cut when the power from the switch is cut. The ECU power will also be cut, so if it's triggered from there, it's also taken care of.

I am well aware that it's safety, but if there is a simpler and less expensive way to do something, I'd be hard pressed to do differently.

For further clarity on what is required, call your local NHRA or IHRA tech inspector. I did.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is "solid state" mean?

Also what do you consider "cheap" audiostore wiring?
Most of the wiring I planned on using is pretty dense & cost $5 per ft for 0/2 gauge wiring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_relay
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it typical though - people ask questions, then argue when they get answers they don't like.
I don't think Charlie argued at all though. So other people came to this thread and started arguing amongst themselves. The OP is still quite open to all of this.

Originally Posted by Paul_VR6
In your example, the fuel pump *should* be wired through the main relay that's cut when the power from the switch is cut. The ECU power will also be cut, so if it's triggered from there, it's also taken care of.
Just for me personally: A cutoff switch for the main relay would be effective then, right? I know there should be adequate space to tap into the main relay around the fuse box area.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana

Just for me personally: A cutoff switch for the main relay would be effective then, right? I know there should be adequate space to tap into the main relay around the fuse box area.
I would say yes as long as the cutoff shuts off the engine, fuel pump(s), water pump, fan(s), etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM
longest project ever

the point of the cut off switch is to cut off all power, including the battery and alternator in an emergency, crash,fire etc, not to turn off accessories, thats why so many organizations require the external switch, so track workers can kill all power when they are trying to get you out of the car, my personal preference and what I used to run myself, was what I mentioned above, a cockpit mounted cutoff and then also ran through the external cutoff, which is usually required, if I smell smoke in the car or see fire, I'm not worried about whats on or off, I'm going to hit that switch, kill everything, and get the hell out of the car as fast as possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 or 4 pole kill-switch required?