Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

engine stalls at idle or cold

Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine stalls at idle or cold

Hi there,
New to the forum, this may have been addressed before. what's going on with my Honda Element 07? It just started stalling at stop signs and when cold at about 90K miles. I have a manual transmission and wonder if it's needing repair or if it's something else.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine stalls at idle or cold

I'd start with simple things like an air filter / exhaust. A serious obstruction would cause a stall, although the temperature would not make any difference.

I know the older crv have the idle adjuster - check the manual if your does.

Is the check engine light on?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi thanks for replying. I surfed the net and you tubed maintenance videos to troubleshoot the problem-until I figured it out I think. Started with replacing the air filter and spark plugs, they were past due anyway. Then cleaned the throttle body and hopefully was able to clean the air intake valve as well. The fuel filter is in the tank and they rarely fail and parts aren't available anyway. I put injector cleaner in and used higher octane for a few tanks hoping this would work. It did, but I think the big thing was cleaning the throttle body and air intake valve, that seemed to have the biggest effect on the performance. Today changed the oil and now have a pretty tuned up vehicle. I didn't want to mess with the idle because the problem was sporadic and otherwise it ran well. Didn't want to do something that would cause me more problems since i'm not a mechanic.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem a while ago. If it comes back in a couple weeks, its probably the valves. The exhaust valves on these engines tighten up over time. I had made a post about it here. I hope it was just your plugs, but watch those valves. I just burned my #2 cylinder, and put a "new" engine in today.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem - 2009 Element with 162,000 miles. Had the valves adjusted at about 125,000 that solved the problem for a while, but now back to the same issues. A local shop says two cylinders have low compression - wants to check timing, says timing chain may be stretched or damaged - any thoughts? Thanks Bill
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Camry started doing the same thing this past summer at about 160k or so. At a stop sign it would choke down and die, running rough idle before it tanked. Would have trouble cranking it back and keeping it alive.

I changed the plugs and cleaned the throttle body and that fixed it - never had the problem again. I went ahead and also changed the PCV valve and cleaned the MAF sensor as that is all easy to do and can also be problematic.

At 90k I think you are about time to do all of these anyway.