See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Valve Cover bolt grommets/seals

Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover bolt grommets/seals

I was replacing the valve cover gasket, and the kit I had also had replacement grommets for the five valve cover bolts. However the valve cover bolts that came on my car (98 Accord, F23A1 engine) seemed to be designed so as not to have replaceable grommets... it appears the bolt + grommet has to be replaced as a complete unit.

Is this so, or am I missing something here?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Cover bolt grommets/seals

I have the same problem as you have for an F23A5 engine - 2002 Accord. The valve cover kit came with cover gasket and five valve cover bolt seals. The bolts have like a small flat ring at top of thread. How can the new seals get put on the bolts without damaging the seals? Let me know what you have done.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have solved my own problem of replacing the seals/grommets onto the strange looking head cover bolts. First, cut the old rubber seal (must separate the rubber seal from the metal cap) with a diagonal plier and remove the rubber seal and the old metal cap (washer). To install the new seal (rubber and metal cap together). Apply small amount of petroleum jelly in the seal opening and on the bolt flange (this flange is just above the threads. Slide the seal onto the bolt and thread a 6mm flat washer and hex nut onto the bolt. you will need tools (sockets/plier) to turn the hex nut fully up to the flange. The hex nut and washer forces the seal over the flange without tearing or damaging the rubber seal. Repeat this process for all four head cover bolts.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by errusieck
I have solved my own problem of replacing the seals/grommets onto the strange looking head cover bolts. First, cut the old rubber seal (must separate the rubber seal from the metal cap) with a diagonal plier and remove the rubber seal and the old metal cap (washer). To install the new seal (rubber and metal cap together). Apply small amount of petroleum jelly in the seal opening and on the bolt flange (this flange is just above the threads. Slide the seal onto the bolt and thread a 6mm flat washer and hex nut onto the bolt. you will need tools (sockets/plier) to turn the hex nut fully up to the flange. The hex nut and washer forces the seal over the flange without tearing or damaging the rubber seal. Repeat this process for all four head cover bolts.

Not sure you'll get this but I had the same problem. Ripped one seal trying to push it on. Took 20 minutes to do another. Read this and thought there's no way this could work with a 6MM washer, so I used a 10 and ripped another seal. Switched to a 6 and voila, 3 done in about 5 minutes. I used liquid gasket instead of petroleum jelly and a wing nut instead of a hex, but pretty much the same deal. Much appreciated!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Trial User

I came here today while changing the valve cover gasket, trying to figure out how to get the new seals on the valve cover bolts. After reading this thread I found that I had no nuts of the appropriate size and thread laying around, so I improvised. I lubed the bolt and seal with motor oil, then threaded it into the head where it is supposed to go,(with the valve cover off of course), tightened it down carefully and voila! Just wanted to share what I thought was a simplified method which didn't require finding the appropriate nut and washer. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Trial User

good idea .. i'm fixin to go try this right now.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This works. Take pliers and cut the old rubber gasket off, and slide the metal ring off the bolt. Then put the new gasket/ring on, and tighten the bolt down with the valve cover off, and it'll push the gasket where it needs to go. Thanks for the info, I was wondering how to get them off, and the new ones on, and it was about to start raining lol
Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great ideas in this thread. Saved me from ruining my new grommets. I used a screw driver and got under the old grommets and twisted until they broke for removal. Then I used polyurethane bushing lube and ran the bolts into the head to install the new grommets. Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Trial User

My brother just changed my front valve cover gasket on 2007 Honda Pilot... we had the same problem with the valve cover bolts / grommets. Ended up slicing off the old rubber grommets, which then allowed the old metal ring to slide off. Trying to get the new rubber grommets on was the problem...
I used my hair dryer on a HOT setting to warm up the grommets, (made them slightly more pliable), and my brother used a tiny flat head screwdriver to ease the new grommets past the head that's fixed on the shaft of the bolt. It took a bit of elbow grease, but he got five of them done in about 3 minutes, and did not tear one of them!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 11:54 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

For future, use WD-40 or a drop of dishwashing liquid as a lubricant to slide the grommet over the bolt upon installation.