Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

h22 type s swap into 96 vtec

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 type s swap into 96 vtec

Hey everyone sorry for making a new thread on this but I tried to find threads about my question and I couldn't find any thats related to a swap to a obd2 4th gen. My brother and I would like to get the h22 type s motor and swap it into my 96 vtec. I read that if its obd2 to obd2 then it should be direct swap and I know that the 96 4th gens are obd2 as well so I'm wondering if I swap in the type s motor mostly everything should be plug n play or is there certain sensors/connectors that still needs to be swapped over to the type s motor?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: h22 type s swap into 96 vtec

I believe the type s is an obd2b motor so you might need an obd2b to obd2a subharness but I'm not 100 so do some searches to see.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SORRY but i want to know if that apply for thre f23a to because I'm planning. this swap but looking for good insights.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That swap should be basically the same. I would try to ensure that you have both wiring harness, in case some sensors are in a different location etc.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is their a forum any were up here deal with the f23a swap. Do i have to change the F22a mounts to fit the f23a?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not trying to thread jack here guys, but im doing the auto to manual conversion on my 95 prelude si soon and i need a little help on the whole thing here. i need to have EVERY part AND bolt before it can be started. im taking the car to a very trusted mechanic an hour north of me and trying to make the process quick, easy, and cheap for him. ill start with what i have and then go into what i need and what i think i might need.

i have:
clutch master cylinder (new from autozone)
slave cylinder (new from autozone)
flywheel (brand new) and flywheel bolts
clutch kit (brand new) + arp pressure plate bolts
clutch pedal
brake and gas pedals
shift plate and assembly + shift ****
cotter pins
5spd p14 ecu
shift linkage

right now i know i need the transmission, intermediate shaft, starter, clutch lines, tons of bolts, starter

questions: could i use the Rywire prelude clutch line instead of sourcing the oem prelude clutch line? would this replace the hardline and clutch dampener and rubber line completely? http://www.rywire.com/rywire-accord-...-line-h12m.htm
do i need to buy axles for both driver and passenger side? or do i just buy the half shaft and driver side axle for 4th gen prelude
is there something i need to buy for the side transmission mount??
now im confused about bolts and fasteners for the project. i need bolts for tranny to mount to engine, i need the fasteners for the linkage to the shifter, i need bolts for the shifter to the chasis. i need bolts for all 3 pedals. and bolts for the starter!
will wire also be needed? for the reverse lights and ignition lock and such? if so, what gauge?
can any of the bolts that are current on the auto prelude be used still??
please help out with this conversion, i've been wanting to do this for a really long time and i finally have a good amount of the parts and i want to get my car in the garage next week if all goes well. im on a budget !
-Danny

peace