Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

New to forum, 1982 Civic CVCC Wagon Build/Restore

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum, 1982 Civic CVCC Wagon Build/Restore

Just thought I would introduce myself and my "new" car here. I've trolled the forums here a bit for basic info, but I already have a few questions that will be need to be answered sooner rather than later... Hopefully lol This is my first true car build, and it just happens to be a Honda... I fell in love at first sight.

Anyway, I recently acquired a 1982 Civic wagon with the 1.5L cvcc (for a rock bottom price of $300 mind you). Body is in Ok shape, will definitely need some body work. Fortunately I am an experienced welder/fabricator, so no problem there.

I've already done a bit of work to it to get her fully roadworthy. Did a full valve replacement as the exh valve on cylinder 4 was wasted, and two others had blowby. New brake cables, wheel cylinders, calipers, pads/shoes all around. Plugs, wires, usual stuff. Also have a Weber 32/36 kit coming in the mail later this week. The stock carb is pretty well shot and I don't feel like hassling with a rebuild.

Also installed an aftermarket tach, new stereo/speakers/amp and subwoofer for some extra bump.

Here's a pic of the car for all to enjoy:

I'll try to update as things progress. And I'm sure I'll have more questions. Also feel free to ask me any questions too.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to forum, 1982 Civic CVCC Wagon Build/Restore

Weber 32/36 is easily the greatest improvement that can be purchased for those cars.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I have read on the interwebs, it seems the general consensus is that the Weber conversion is the best thing ever, but there are a few people who blatantly hate it. Doesn't seem to be a real in between. Although it looks like most of the people who didn't like it couldn't get it tuned correctly. I have never done any real car engine tuning, but I'm a huge vintage moped guy and have built/tuned carbed race bikes to much success, so I don't think the tuning will be a huge problem. I intend to do the intake mod that I have seen several posts about (dremel/gouge out between the auxilliary port and the main port so that the flow to the aux port is more better).

Essentially I am trying to get the car solid as far as all mechanical aspects before I delve into body work, although I hope to have the body all done before winter comes.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey hey, glad to have another wagon owner on the forum! These things are slow as hell but zippy and still quite a bit of fun if you treat 'em right (and it sounds like you will!)
Doug
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dquizten
Hey hey, glad to have another wagon owner on the forum! These things are slow as hell but zippy and still quite a bit of fun if you treat 'em right (and it sounds like you will!)
Doug
It's slow on the uphills, but I have found it to be adequate on level roads at interstate speeds (70+ here in VA). Funny thing is I found out the other day that the secondary butterfly is seized up on the stock keihin (I mentioned it in my first post, but ill add again for emphasis) so I've been driving it all along on one barrel. I had noticed it had/has a sort of dead zone after 2.5-3k rpm, so that makes sense considering the secondary never opens. I've found in its current state it makes the most torque around 2k rpm.

I figured it out when I checked the float levels the other day and found out the previous owner had tampered with it and completely f'd it up (decided to check it out because I was only getting like 28mpg on my first few tanks and knew something was up). Fuel level was above the glass and the main barrel was literally spitting full drops of fuel into the airstream even at idle. I then noticed that there was a pile of dirt... YES dirt... Laying in on top of the secondary butterfly. When I hit it with my air nozzle, it looked like a mushroom cloud spewed out of my carb. So dumb.

Honestly most of the time I have spent on this car has been fixing the previous owner's "upgrades" and "modifications". I think what happened is he removed the carb and took it apart, only to royally screw it up when he reassembled it, and he clearly reused gaskets because I found a decent air leak in the intake/carb base area, which explains why I have an obnoxious backfire issue at idle and decel. I know he took it off at least once because he said he had replaced the head gasket not once, but twice. Apparently the first time he didn't realize you could take the head, intake, and carb all off at one time. He never really mentioned why he took the head off. I know he overheated it at least once considering the burnt exhaust valves I encountered. He also hardwired the radiator fans, and made a regular mess out of that too, which I have fixed. Most of his wiring connections consisted of wires twisted together and wrapped in gobs of e-tape. The exhaust system, atleast in the muffler area, is even more of a nightmare. I have no idea who goobered on the dingleberries back there, but its... Interesting. The muffler is held up by zipties. The list just goes on and on. It's all a work in progress anyway...

Honestly, I make it sound bad, but I have enjoyed the journey thus far. The body is in good enough shape that it won't take a huge effort to get it right, but it'll still be a lot of work. The worst of the rust is rightin front of the rear wheels on the rocker panels... Both sides are eaten out pretty good. Luckily I have my own welding/fab equipment and access to a brake, so there shouldnt be much of an issue there. Other rust/body issues include floor pans rusting right along the outside seams, bad cancer spot near front mount of driver's side leaf spring, small cancer spots on passenger side rear fender flare area, massive dent in the roof, various other dents, and a crack in the wheel well on the passenger side which I just discovered today.

OK, I'll stop for now... I could go all night.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, it is fun though! Lots of gremlins, it sounds like. Sometimes you wonder why someone would take a venture under the hood when they screw it up so royally.. I got very lucky in that I bought mine (indirectly, long story) from the original guy who bought it in 1983 for his wife. They took good care of it and got it repainted (ie, sprayed over) when the rust started to form so it didn't get any worse. I've taken mine up to about 75 a few times but I try to cruise slower because I have no tachometer and really no idea what these are capable of. Until I replace the timing belt I am a little hesitant to trust it at high speeds.

Glad to hear you're saving yours though! I hope you can post up some pictures before long so we can see what you're working with!
Doug
Old 07-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Based off my new tach, these guys run a little over 3k at like 72mph, which I think is normal. I have a 97 Toyota Tacoma which runs about the same rpm at that speed, maybe a little lower. Handling seems fine, although I have new shocks for the front that I need to install. I tried to link a pic from instagram in my first post, but it didn't seem to work. I'll try again.

View this post on Instagram

Thats the link to the pic, maybe that will work.

Edit: aha! That seemed to work!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and here is some lovely crustiness... This is what the worst of the rust looks like:

Old 07-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First picture looks awesome! Second made me cringe haha.. I'll need new front shocks eventually as well, my ride is a little bumpy. Where did you get yours? RockAuto? I'm debating getting stock replacements or attempting to order a pair of front coilovers from BC Racing when I do replace - apparently they make sets for 2nd gen civics. I can't remember now where I saw that but it was either on here or on the 2nd gen Facebook page.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another person from Va also! Whereabouts roughly? I used to have an 81 Civic sedan and I regularly maintain a green 83 wagon also.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dquizten
First picture looks awesome! Second made me cringe haha.. I'll need new front shocks eventually as well, my ride is a little bumpy. Where did you get yours? RockAuto? I'm debating getting stock replacements or attempting to order a pair of front coilovers from BC Racing when I do replace - apparently they make sets for 2nd gen civics. I can't remember now where I saw that but it was either on here or on the 2nd gen Facebook page.
I got mine at advance auto, factory direct. I work for advance so I get 20% off errthang! One nice perk at least. Theyre just Monroe OE spectrum stock replacements, nothing fancy.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1995
Another person from Va also! Whereabouts roughly? I used to have an 81 Civic sedan and I regularly maintain a green 83 wagon also.
Lexington/Natural Bridge area.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, got the Weber on tonight! My, what power this car has haha. There is a noticeable power increase, im sure due to the fact that it can breath now. I have a few loose ends to finish up tomorrow, but it's definitely driveable. Its also got a little midrange hiccup that I need to tune out. Otherwise it runs great, for sure much better than it did. I'll try and upload/link some pics tomorrow when im not so bug eyed 0_0
Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ritzone42
Lexington/Natural Bridge area.
Awesome, I frequent the drag strip there. Originally from Covington, now in Roanoke/Salem area.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 AM
The Credible Hulk

As an 82 baby I'm EXTREMELY jealous. I love em, in for the build.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1995
Awesome, I frequent the drag strip there. Originally from Covington, now in Roanoke/Salem area.
Dude, that's pretty sweet. I'll have to meet up with you some time then haha
Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
As an 82 baby I'm EXTREMELY jealous. I love em, in for the build.
I hate to make you jealous... But I do love my car.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you upload a vid of the weber running?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ritzone42
Dude, that's pretty sweet. I'll have to meet up with you some time then haha
Yeah, I've been trying to get up there for more of the King of The Bridge stuff lately.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by branscoset
Can you upload a vid of the weber running?
I'll have to take video tomorrow and upload it if I get time. It runs very well so far, the startup is the only thing that is meh. I hooked up and adjusted the choke the other night, but I haven't adjusted the fast idle so I have to give it some gas at first to let it run smooth.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, here is the best pic I have so far of the weber installed (lighting was crap).

I've considered making an installation guide, but I didn't really take any pics other than before/after so that would be tough. Honestly it was pretty easy. It took slightly longer than expected because I installed it backwards from the way the kit intends it to be installed (in reality, the kit makes you install it backwards of the way it is supposed to be, so I really think I did it better), so I had to modify a few things. I then had to fabricate cover plates for the egr system, which didn't take long, but they look nice. I still have a few vacuum related items that need to come off, but I haven't had time to finish it yet.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here be a video for all:

Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, just as a little update, I have now been having fuel pump issues/filter issues. It really all started the second night after I got the weber installed (the night I had made the egr block off plates). I had the engine idling working on fixing the throttle linkage and fine tuning the idle, etc, when it just shut off. Tried restarting a few times to no avail, sounded like no fuel. So I checked the fuel pump fuse, it was blown. I was kind of worried, but I replaced the fuse and went on. Didn't have any issues again until later the next day when I was idling it again for a prolonged period, still doing a bit of minor tuning and listening to the stereo. I became pretty concerned but replaced the fuse again. I haven't had any problems the last few days, but I have a new pump and filter coming in the mail tomorrow just in case. It seems it only has problems during longer idling, so my guess is maybe there is crud in the tank stopping up the pickup and overheating the pump. I need to pull the tank and check it out soon. Old cars are fun lol
Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I replaced my external pump with an Airtex pump, which actually turned out to be a factory pump in the Airtex box. I never had any issues, but I did read somewhere that somebody else had the same issue as you because the pickup in the tank was partially clogged and the pump was working so much harder.

Can you hear your factory pump clicking as it runs?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't gotten under it while it is running to check, so I don't know for sure yet. I will check it this evening and see what is up. I got my pump and filter in the mail, so if nothing else, I have backups which is always nice. I also discovered this morning that there is an exhaust leak up near the manifold. I hadn't noticed this before, so I don't know if it is recent or not. Kinda strange honestly. This thing just keeps asking more of me haha

Quick Reply: New to forum, 1982 Civic CVCC Wagon Build/Restore