Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

92 integra takes about 2 minutes to start after turning key to ON position.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 integra takes about 2 minutes to start after turning key to ON position.

i turn the key and about 2 or 3 minutes later the CEL goes off with a click, which i guess is the main relay. i've fixed lots of main relays and i've replaced this once 3 times. it doesn't affect the problem, so i'm guessing it's not a problem with the main relay itself.

once i drive the car and it's warmed up, i can turn it off and it will start right back up with no issues with the main relay. the cooler it gets, the longer i have to wait for the main relay. never any longer than a couple of minutes though. it's been doing this for about a year now.

my question is, where to go now? what do i check next?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: 92 integra takes about 2 minutes to start after turning key to ON position.

flaky ignition switch?

http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 integra takes about 2 minutes to start after turning key to ON position.

Originally Posted by tamboo
doesn't seem like the ignition. the car never dies or acts funny in any other way. the problem is pretty much exactly the same every time. turn the key, cel comes on like normal, then i wait for a while until the main relay clicks off and the cel turns off. it's almost like something is causing the main relay to not click off. maybe something related to the fuel pump? isn't the purpose of the main relay to prime the fuel pump before starting the car?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

read through this:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamboo
i don't see my problem there. except for it being lazy and taking too long. but the fix for that should be either fixing the solder points (which i already did) or replacing it, which has also been done a few times. it never changes anything.

it doesn't click fast so it's not low on voltage. my crx does that, and it's a completely diff problem.

im guessing it may have something to do with a connection with the ecu or maybe the fuel pump?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Try this, hold the PGM-FI Main Relay in your hand, [plugged in] turn on the ign., main relay should "click" two(2) times, the "clicks" are very close together so I can be hard to tell, can sound/feel like one "click".

First "click" is the fuel injector relay turning on the second "click' is the fuel pump relay turning on, at the same time you hear/feel the second "click" you should also hear the fuel pump start priming, that should not last longer then a few sec., then there will be the 3rd "click", [fuel pump relay turning off] at the same time the CEL will turn off.

Let me know if you hear/feel that second "click" and the fuel pump priming right away or if it takes "couple of minutes" before that happens.

Also, if the fuel pump starts priming right away, does it keep priming for the full "couple of minutes"? 94
Old 05-08-2023, 09:40 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thecorey
i turn the key and about 2 or 3 minutes later the CEL goes off with a click, which i guess is the main relay. i've fixed lots of main relays and i've replaced this once 3 times. it doesn't affect the problem, so i'm guessing it's not a problem with the main relay itself.

once i drive the car and it's warmed up, i can turn it off and it will start right back up with no issues with the main relay. the cooler it gets, the longer i have to wait for the main relay. never any longer than a couple of minutes though. it's been doing this for about a year now.

my question is, where to go now? what do i check next?
Hi, I have the EXACT same problem with my car. Did you ever find out what the cause was? I've replaced the main relay several times and it made no difference. How did you fix your car?

Thanks,
Shawn.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by z4m3t
Hi, I have the EXACT same problem with my car. Did you ever find out what the cause was? I've replaced the main relay several times and it made no difference. How did you fix your car?

Thanks,
Shawn.
Early sign of a bad ECU. Try a known good ECU to make sure that this is the issue. If so, replace the ECU or send it off to an ECU repair shop.