Random pair of Reverse Mesh...
14x8 +1
Original White.

..Just look good sitting around..!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SSR WHEEL PIC THREAD

REST IN PARADISE BLACKSTAR !!!! Just heard the news. Really sucks knowing dude is no longer around. A true vintage wheel collector super Humble and down to earth. You will be missed man!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Akebono_jesse
REST IN PARADISE BLACKSTAR !!!! Just heard the news. Really sucks knowing dude is no longer around. A true vintage wheel collector super Humble and down to earth. You will be missed man!
Terrible news...
Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RussLaviolette
Terrible news...
Brandon isnt with us anymore?? WHat??? is this a joke?

I guess its true..... very, very sad. Brandon was definately a huge contributor to the community and was not in it for the fame/recognition/nut swingers, he was a true enthusiast. he was probably one of the coolest most humble guys i have had the pleasure of meeting and he was willing to help anyone....

Brandon was cool enough to meet me half way when i bought my mk3's from him (4-5 hours round trip) just so i could see the wheels in person before i bought them, i know it was a pain in the *** for him to take time out of his weekend to meet me. he could have easily just said tough ****, buy em and ship them or come to me and pick them up...

i offered him a extra $50 to meet me half way but he wouldnt take it, he told me to just give him $20 for gas and he met me half way. we ended up talking for almost 2 hours about wheels, the "scene" and being old guys etc etc when we met up. i left thinking to myself that you dont meet many people like that nowadays, especially in the car/honda community.... he was a good guy

R.I.P. Brandon a.k.a. blackstar

Last edited by timmybilt; 08-07-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Those SSR's are ridiculously clean for being 23 years old. Wow....
Old 08-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Akebono_jesse
Wow, this came out of nowhere. I'm sorry to see that he's gone, especially since the dude's been around for so long.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very sad if true. Feels a bit uncomfortable reading it on here though..

I suppose its just the way it goes. The internet/forums (obviously not so much thr case with things like facebook) would be one of the few places were you could deal with someone for years; then when they suddenly disappear, you're left wondering where they went or if they're okay...
Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We lost a great one, great friend, great person and a lot of knowledge in out vintage wheel community. Brandon Walker, u will be missed. Rest in peace.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Name:  IMG_0013[1].jpg
Views: 3652
Size:  170.0 KB
Old 08-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really tidy set of spinner mesh! Look great in white. Original or restored?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RdS:
Really tidy set of spinner mesh! Look great in white. Original or restored?
Restored. When I got them the wheels were really bad.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ great work then. Look top-notch.

Picked up these in recent months, after wanting a set for quite some time. Had been holding out for a good set (complete/condition/sizes), and unfortunately couldn't afford two NOS sets that went through Yahoo in that time..
These are in great original shape overall though, and look as though they were pulled off a car and sat since the 80's.

SSR Hiro Engineering Hiro V1.
15x6.5 ~+5
15x7 ~+-0
Early standard-reverse V1's, with the old polished caps and single-colour faces. Bonus is the V1's also have directional centre-cap plates which the V1-R's oddly didnt get.. (!?)
Stoked. Just fkn love these..

Last edited by RdS:; 08-24-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Sanji

Yeah, that's some nice imagery to go to bed with.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha. Couple detail pics of one of the seven's to wake up to then..

Hiro V1 vs. the Hiro V1-R plate.
One of my favourite details of the wheel; with the bright colours, and friendly, almost comic-like fonts.
Interesting seeing the addition of the '-R' means a bit of the text ('By Hiro Engineering') had to be dropped.

..and as I said in the last post, the V1-R plates weren't directional. Little shame, as its such a subtle detail, but a really nice touch...
Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Sanji

Makes me miss my V1-R's a bit.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why did you part with a bunch of those wheels at the time anyway? Just got sick of them taking up so much space; or just had had your fun with them..? You parted with some great oldschool wheels..
You've still got those carbon Starsorb wheels though right? Those are just.. epic. I really (Can't put enough emphasis on that 'really' - as an italic it should technically be leaning so far forward as to look like an underline...______) want too see a set of those in person.. and a set of Starsorb Honeycoque's.. (the aluminum honeycomb ones..). I just find it so damn interesting.
I would LOVE to see the drawings/technical info/catalogue's for the SSR designs 1984-90. Surely the stuff would still have to be somewhere... just sitting in a filing cabinet collecting dust..
Old 08-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Sanji

Why did you part with a bunch of those wheels at the time anyway? Just got sick of them taking up so much space; or just had had your fun with them..? You parted with some great oldschool wheels..
You've still got those carbon Starsorb wheels though right? Those are just.. epic. I really (Can't put enough emphasis on that 'really' - as an italic it should technically be leaning so far forward as to look like an underline...______) want too see a set of those in person.. and a set of Starsorb Honeycoque's.. (the aluminum honeycomb ones..). I just find it so damn interesting.
I would LOVE to see the drawings/technical info/catalogue's for the SSR designs 1984-90. Surely the stuff would still have to be somewhere... just sitting in a filing cabinet collecting dust..
Actually, I've got the model SSR designed for the Fushimi Racing team way back when...

Its based on a Starsorb, though. The face beneath and the barrel are Starsorb.

I had to part ways with some of my collection, to afford adding to it (in a roundabout way). I try to limit my spending on wheels, because I have other things to pay for in life which I value equally or greater than my wheel collection (my house being one of those things). So, in order to get wheels that will fit the new 5-lug pattern... I had to sell off some of the wheels I currently had. Its not as if I WANTED to get rid of them, more so I needed to due to the draw of having wheels actually functional for my car, as well as rare.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ wise to go about these things logically. Hobbies can get a little out of hand if you're not careful.. and in this case you'd have dozen's of sets of wheels you wouldn't be using, let alone remotely needing! Besides, they're not one-off's.. they can be replaced with a little effort if you ever want to.

As for actually using the wheels.. I'm not quite with you there. Wheels go on cars now?!

Re the Fushimi's...
So the main face itself; is that carbon, or just a black-painted Starsorb / Honeycoque face?
When you say 'designed for the Fushimi Racing team'; do you mean as to be sold by a company called Fushimi in the same way SSR made wheels for Hasemi Motorsport, Takechi Project, Hiro Engineering, etc - as a product for another brand? As a one-off modified set of Starsorb's? Or as a wheel for a racing team, not to be sold?
They seem far too 'finished' to have not been intended for sale.. right down to the starsorb logo on the gloss-white aero cover, standard wheel specs/studpattern, and spec decal on the inner barrel.

Those Starsorb's..
..The honeycomb aluminium centre, electron lock setup, aero cover complete with intricate fans, and available up to 16x14JJ? Wheels just don't get any better than these..
Old 08-26-2014, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i was trying to find more info on those wheels today and i come online to see this haha good timing. just signed into this forum and went through 349 and saw that nobody has posted these wheels here before.
SSR Gallet
Name:  0AltW7p.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  985.5 KB
Name:  a5i36rL.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  925.4 KB
Name:  cIN7WPT.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  971.8 KB
Name:  LlgNRcu.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  1,000.0 KB
and them on my car
Attachment 523468
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely don't see them too much.. but coincidentally, I reckon there's a very similar 14" set on Yahoo right now. I've come across the same listing a couple times in the last fortnight.
Those ones there look to be April 2001 production (the other ones were 01 or 03 from memory..). So strange that I see so few less than 15years later..

Hilarious how big a 14x7 looks on the beat! Looks awesome though..
Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been sitting around too long, not sure what to do with them but they are brand new SSR Bang Vec Hexes with collars and screws
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Sanji

Re the Fushimi's...
So the main face itself; is that carbon, or just a black-painted Starsorb / Honeycoque face?
When you say 'designed for the Fushimi Racing team'; do you mean as to be sold by a company called Fushimi in the same way SSR made wheels for Hasemi Motorsport, Takechi Project, Hiro Engineering, etc - as a product for another brand? As a one-off modified set of Starsorb's? Or as a wheel for a racing team, not to be sold?
They seem far too 'finished' to have not been intended for sale.. right down to the starsorb logo on the gloss-white aero cover, standard wheel specs/studpattern, and spec decal on the inner barrel.
I only have the barely decipherable Kanji that was listed when the wheels were on auction. They were a one-off design for the Fushimi Racing team, using the Starsorbs as a base. The aero disk is entirely unique to this particular model, although it does bear some emblem resemblance to the Starsorb's to which its based. Its a carbon fiber piece, where only the outer portion is painted.

The barrel sizing sticker also bears the Fushimi Racing naming. According to the auction, there were very few made, and even less made it to the public market. It was something like 12 sets made it out alive. I was lucky to snag a set that had never been mounted to a tire.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My sp2r professor's

Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody have more info on these? look realllllly interesting*, another variant of the Meiju made by ssr?

Old 08-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Can't see the pics anymore, but they were of the Meiju aero styled wheels right?
Those pics are the only ones I've ever seen of them.. and from this thread early on.

Thanks to the writing on the face, I would fairly confidently guess they're called 'Saucer', and are a sub-model of Meiju (Either sold under SSR, or more likely as a separate 'Meiju' wheel).
Those Meiju mesh wheels I have; while only having 'Meiju' on the mounting pad and centrecap, have 'Radius' written in large text on the packaging. I've assumed Radius is the model, in the way 'Saucer' possibly is for the others.

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
I only have the barely decipherable Kanji that was listed when the wheels were on auction. They were a one-off design for the Fushimi Racing team, using the Starsorbs as a base. The aero disk is entirely unique to this particular model, although it does bear some emblem resemblance to the Starsorb's to which its based. Its a carbon fiber piece, where only the outer portion is painted.

The barrel sizing sticker also bears the Fushimi Racing naming. According to the auction, there were very few made, and even less made it to the public market. It was something like 12 sets made it out alive. I was lucky to snag a set that had never been mounted to a tire.
...you're telling me theres 11 other sets I could *possibly* buy? heheh
So the actual wheel face itself, thats aluminium honeycomb like the Starsorb?

The whole look to the wheel just gives a very polished/finished feel. More-so even than other racing wheels SSR produced, which are a little rough.. and no real branding/naming other than 'SSR' (if at all).
If they were made for racing, what possible race series would the be for, in those sizes, etc?
Ever come across anything more about this Fushimi racing team? ever seen any other of these for sale or in pictures?

Its all just too damn interesting..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SSR WHEEL PIC THREAD