Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Help: Can't remove key without disconnecting battery and shifter stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Can't remove key without disconnecting battery and shifter stuck in park

Hi y'all,
Yesterday I parked my '08 Fit Sport, and it felt a little weird when I put it in park. when I turned off my car, I was unable to turn the key all the way and my key was stuck in the ignition. The shifter was also stuck in park. The only way I could get the key out was to disconnect the ground on the battery. Then, I could not start the car again unless the car was in neutral and the only way I could get the car out of park was to press the brake interlock override to the left of the shifter. The car doesn't seem to think it's in park when the shift lever is in park; I think this might be because it's not actually there (the linkage is blocked or misaligned or something), or it could be because the switch is broken. I would like to try and fix it myself if possible. Anyone have any ideas? Could you help me with access issues to diagnose/fix the problem?
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Help: Can't remove key without disconnecting battery and shifter stuck in park

Are you stepping on the brake pedal when trying this?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help: Can't remove key without disconnecting battery and shifter stuck in park

Yes, and i know it's not the wheel lock. also, the brake lights work. I can only start the car in neutral (with or without the brake pressed). It's actually changed a bit since I posted where I can put the car in and out of park if I don't bring the shifter all the way forward where it gets stuck. but I still can't start the car in park and i have to get out the take off the negative of the battery to get the key out. any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Either your ignition switch or the switch for the shift lever in park is bad.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I found out what's wrong. There's a service bulletin TSB 11-055. check it out here:

https://honda-tech.com/alldata.php#/...engineid=4000/

I'd like to look at the full TSB for the instructions on how to get access to the area and remove the debris.
Anyone know how to get free or cheap access to the TSB's? I don't think i need a year subscription.
Better yet. Anyone know if this is covered by warranty? my honda certified used car warranty has expired, but i still have powertrain...
Old 06-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take out your air intake box and the cable is just below where the box used to be.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This seems to be a pretty common problem with hondas
Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL how many have you counted?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took a look under the hood and removed the air filter box but couldn't see anything . do you have a photo of what you mean?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go on the freak site and search for the thread on "replacing the filter for an auto trans" it has a photo that shows the area.

But I think you problem is more likely under the console or one of the park interlock system.

Here is the manual and how to check your problem step by step.
http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

what you are looking for is listed under this on the list on the left.

•Trans/Driveline

then
◦Automatic Transaxle

then

"A/T Interlock System - Shift Lock System Circuit Troubleshooting"
Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally was able to take off the console and take a look at the shifter.

I also have uploaded a copy of the related service bulletin here:
http://www.filedropper.com/hondafit0...bulletin11-055

However, I don't believe it applies to this case because when I looked at the shifter cable on this end, it didn't look damaged. I do have a feeling that it is damaged or obstructed on the other end because of the way the shifter gets stuck, but I don't have ramps to be able to look at it on the other end. I took a video of moving the shifter into park and then pushing it a little farther forward where it gets stuck. I'm not exactly sure why it does this or how it's supposed to work. See it here:

I noticed a little switch that gets pressed when it gets into the stuck position, could it possibly be a bad switch? are there any other switches that might be bad that would cause this problem? Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't need ramps to see the other end. Take out the intake airbox under the hood and the cable leads to the top of the transmission.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you see it in this picture i found with a modified air intake? When I took off my intake box I couldn't see it, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I had someone shift while i looked under and it sounded like it was located elsewhere.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4-19202547.jpg
Old 07-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's to the rear of the black intake tube and down on the top of the transmission. If you go to the freak site search for a post on changing the transmission filter and I'm pretty sure you can see it there.