Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Any really good short Header ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any really good short Header ?

So, I searched, read and read, and I can only find recommendation on the full header, now if I already have down pipe and cat back system, and I need only the Header, is there anything good out there our I will have to buy the all header (Header + down pipe) ?

somebody know what are the stock (EP3 CTR) diameter ? as I saw few short header on Ebay all are 1.75 to 2.5, and I read some that say that the stock short header are great, and the only upgrade that worth It is full header.

this is true ?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any really good short Header ?

They are not worth the money. Sell your down pipe and buy a full race header.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yep, I פrobably will go with TODA
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can I piggyback/restart this thread? I'm looking at picking up used Spoon B (mid)pipe & N1 exhaust, which I'm fairly excited about, but I need to pair a good header with these, and am looking for some good recos...
Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol at race headers....the problem with race headers is they flip out the ecu.....its "see's" hot temps and way to much CO and dumps fuel( if you do not run a good defouler, you will burn out the secondary o2 sensor in a day) to cool combustion, this will result in even more fuel being dumped....that means your mileage goes way down....race headers will also for the most part will not get through inspections depending on state and the rules......... they also are dam loud, you have no idea how good a silancer a cat is untill you hang a race header on the car....

race headers for the most part do not have heat shields like the stock headers....all that rubber and wires on the firewall will gets cooked...will the car burst into flames?....no, but you can tell when an ep or dc5 have had a race header by looking at the fire wall.....I have seen the rubber gromits fail and water has gotten into the caben from this...

try this.....swap out the stock cat with one from flowmaster(stock style)....they flow much better than stock one and still have a ceramic core so they are good for a 3-5 years unlike the "high flow cats " that have the cemicals painted onto a metal screen...I have seen them pop cels in less than a year.

if yo do try this route...order the 3 bolts at the rear of the cat and the 2 at the front...they will be toast.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry but i have to chime in here. Most of the noise is controlled by your muffler. Adding a race header isn't going to make your car super loud! It really depends on what cat back you have on your car, with the right setup your car will sound close to stock as mine does.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zedicous
I'm sorry but i have to chime in here. Most of the noise is controlled by your muffler. Adding a race header isn't going to make your car super loud! It really depends on what cat back you have on your car, with the right setup your car will sound close to stock as mine does.
Sorry...you are posting out of your butt or you are just some snot nosed kid that has no idea what the heck you are talking about.... the cat on these cars is a ceramic hunnycomb almost a foot long. each of the holes in the hunneycomb is about 3mm wide and all those gasses comming out of the motor are pushed through this matrix.....you think this does not quite down the noise? The cat kills about half of the noise your motor makes...you have a stock cat back....not so bad....you have a aftermarket cat back...plan on your car almost doubling the noise even with the baffel in........if really do have a rh and a cat back.....try this....find someone over 40 years old and drive by them foot to the floor....ask them if the car is loud........lol
Old 07-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mustclime
Sorry...you are posting out of your butt or you are just some snot nosed kid that has no idea what the heck you are talking about.... the cat on these cars is a ceramic hunnycomb almost a foot long. each of the holes in the hunneycomb is about 3mm wide and all those gasses comming out of the motor are pushed through this matrix.....you think this does not quite down the noise? The cat kills about half of the noise your motor makes...you have a stock cat back....not so bad....you have a aftermarket cat back...plan on your car almost doubling the noise even with the baffel in........if really do have a rh and a cat back.....try this....find someone over 40 years old and drive by them foot to the floor....ask them if the car is loud........lol
You know what, your attitude sucks, As i read on here i bump into you everywhere and everywhere i go your attitude stinks, people like you are the reason why i quit ordering parts out of NY and NJ. Seems that they cold weather makes you all grumpy farts. I'm old school and there is an expression, if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all. If i say something it's from experience and it's a fact. I'd also bet that i'm older than you too. The gf also thinks the car is quite too and she's ten years older than me and even makes jokes that the car is gonna be for her. A lot of it also has to to do with the car. I have found out from experience that a lot of it has to do with the K motor, not sure why but even with the almost exact setup my K motor is way quiter than my B motor. Come on really, foot to the floor, any car is louder when floored, the only time mine gets louder is in vtech, otherwise you'd think it was stock, even my mother thinks the car is quite. Also keep in mind i said MOST of the noise is controlled by the muffler not all of it and i know what the cat looks like since i'm the one that took it off and put it in the attic. So how old are you then, maybe we'll get lucky by you telling the true age of you and how many Hondas do you own?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know what, your attitude sucks, As i read on here i bump into you everywhere and everywhere i go your attitude stinks, people like you are the reason why i quit ordering parts out of NY and NJ. Seems that they cold weather makes you all grumpy farts. I'm old school and there is an expression, if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all. If i say something it's from experience and it's a fact. I'd also bet that i'm older than you too. The gf also thinks the car is quite too and she's ten years older than me and even makes jokes that the car is gonna be for her. A lot of it also has to to do with the car. I have found out from experience that a lot of it has to do with the K motor, not sure why but even with the almost exact setup my K motor is way quiter than my B motor. Come on really, foot to the floor, any car is louder when floored, the only time mine gets louder is in vtech, otherwise you'd think it was stock, even my mother thinks the car is quite. Also keep in mind i said MOST of the noise is controlled by the muffler not all of it and i know what the cat looks like since i'm the one that took it off and put it in the attic. So how old are you then, maybe we'll get lucky by you telling the true age of you and how many Hondas do you own?
i'm 51...been working on cars since I was 13. I built and raced in h stock mgb in scca ....built dunebuggies(2), put a 440 into a 72 duster, did a bunch of v-dub swaps( water cooled), invented the getto jrsc race kit for the ep3.....i also do track days in my ep3 and know more about the suspensions in then than most....

the reason "the k motor is quiter than the b motor " is because of all the sound insulation in the newer car that they did not have in the b series cars....thats why I told you to drive by the person.....aftermarket cat backs are designed to be around 85-92db....you pull the cat and run a race header you are over 110db....want to know how I know this? Glad you asked.....because up here in nj....they ticket you for loud cars and one of the guys that I do work on his car got a ticket and he had a dc with a gretty with the baffel.....I have a gretty with a flowmaster cat and I am at 96db..........the differance is the cat. My car got much louder with the flowmaster cat over the stock cat......

telling people that cats do not effect noise is just plain wrong....anything you do to to the flow out of the back side of the head effects the noise...If a turbo makes cars quiter( see the new f1 cars), why wouldn't a cat effect noise? If running larger pipes(3") makes the car louder.....why wouldn't removing the cat make the car louder....flow = noise, increase flow, increase noise...decrease flow, decrease noise. cats degrease flow

think about it
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm 51...been working on cars since I was 13. I built and raced in h stock mgb in scca ....built dunebuggies(2), put a 440 into a 72 duster, did a bunch of v-dub swaps( water cooled), invented the getto jrsc race kit for the ep3.....i also do track days in my ep3 and know more about the suspensions in then than most....

the reason "the k motor is quiter than the b motor " is because of all the sound insulation in the newer car that they did not have in the b series cars....thats why I told you to drive by the person.....aftermarket cat backs are designed to be around 85-92db....you pull the cat and run a race header you are over 110db....want to know how I know this? Glad you asked.....because up here in nj....they ticket you for loud cars and one of the guys that I do work on his car got a ticket and he had a dc with a gretty with the baffel.....I have a gretty with a flowmaster cat and I am at 96db..........the differance is the cat. My car got much louder with the flowmaster cat over the stock cat......

telling people that cats do not effect noise is just plain wrong....anything you do to to the flow out of the back side of the head effects the noise...If a turbo makes cars quiter( see the new f1 cars), why wouldn't a cat effect noise? If running larger pipes(3") makes the car louder.....why wouldn't removing the cat make the car louder....flow = noise, increase flow, increase noise...decrease flow, decrease noise. cats degrease flow

think about it
Wow, you're a hole six years older and i never said the cat didn't affect the noise but that most, key word here, most of the noise is controlled by the muffler on these small engines. If you're ever in the 504 area code you're welcome to see for yourself and i guess your mind will be blown. My step son even made a comment as we took a trip further south, didn't ask him either, but out of the blue he looks at me and says wow, your car is quite. He has a stock 08 si. Now keep in mind the gf is + 10 on me and also says the car is quite. I was also talking about how not loud it was in general, not just from the inside. With so many cars it's been a constant test. My list is:
93 civic ex b16a
93 civic lx
95 civic dx d15b
06 rsx-s
99 c5
98 z28
83 suzuki gs1100
my son has a:
95 s14
95 prelude
stepson:
08 civic si
The original reason why i chimed in was because it was stated that adding a rh will make the car loud. That is not correct, with the right setup it will not.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is your quote.....it is wrong...these cars are ultra low emistions cars, the cat are very restrictive....go to a race header and you will see 20-30% increase in DB's....if you have a stock or close to stock cat back, you will still see a 20-30% increase in DB's...the thing is, I do not know any aftermarket cat backs that are under 75DB's ...so addding 20-30% gets you into ticket land for the most part......not if you are telling people to run race headers with stock cat backs....well, thats kinda silly
Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is your quote.....it is wrong...these cars are ultra low emistions cars, the cat are very restrictive....go to a race header and you will see 20-30% increase in DB's....if you have a stock or close to stock cat back, you will still see a 20-30% increase in DB's...the thing is, I do not know any aftermarket cat backs that are under 75DB's ...so addding 20-30% gets you into ticket land for the most part......not if you are telling people to run race headers with stock cat backs....well, thats kinda silly
Just like i said, i didn't say it would sound stock, just a touch louder. Not loud at all, in fact most would think the car is stock but if i'm in vtech you'll hear me but other wise you never will and thats because of the intake. Come see for yourself if you're ever down here, I think you'll be impressed. the only thing the rsx doesn't have on it is a jrsc and i have one already, it's in the attic. also when i drove the car to socal i never had a problem. The Tanabe Medallion seems to make a difference in sound level. the only car i've had a problem with loudness is the Z28, when i put the Supermaxx headers on it, it did make the car much louder than i'd care for and it does have cats but i'm changing out the muffler here soon, its a little louder than i'd care for but mostly i just don't like the way it sounds.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ From my experience with K-series engine (EP3 Type-R K20A2) and exhausts:

- Stock header and cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and G200 axle back -> very quiet, bit louder in vtec
- Stock header and cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and J's Racing axle back -> quiet (bit louder than the G200)
- Strup header no cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and G200 axle back -> civilised, loud in vtec
- Strup header no cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and J's Racing axle back -> very loud, insane in vtec (really great sound though)

I'd say they both make a difference, but imo most noise comes from a different header and no cat on our K-series.
It actually surprised me the J's Racing axle back was so quiet when we put the stock header and cat back on for inspection.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LUV4JDM
^ From my experience with K-series engine (EP3 Type-R K20A2) and exhausts:

- Stock header and cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and G200 axle back -> very quiet, bit louder in vtec
- Stock header and cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and J's Racing axle back -> quiet (bit louder than the G200)
- Strup header no cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and G200 axle back -> civilised, loud in vtec
- Strup header no cat, Invidia G200 B-pipe and J's Racing axle back -> very loud, insane in vtec (really great sound though)

I'd say they both make a difference, but imo most noise comes from a different header and no cat on our K-series.
It actually surprised me the J's Racing axle back was so quiet when we put the stock header and cat back on for inspection.
thankyou
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much arguing. Wish someone would answr the question.

Please suggest a good short header that will be compatible with (bolt up) to the oem style magnaflow hiflo cat.
thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do not like any aftermarket headers that do not have heat shields...and none do....the dc is a good part but you will not see much from a shorty header...you will see a lot from a flowmaster cat( a lot being 5-8hp)...the stock honda part is already a tubed header....just a fyi.