Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

2003 TL Transmission - Replace or rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 TL Transmission - Replace or rebuild

My transmission just failed at 141,000 miles. I like the car and want to keep it but don't want ongoing transmission issues. The dealer will replace transmission for $4200 with three year of 36,000 warranty. I have a quote for a rebuild by an independent shop for $2400 installed with 6 month warranty if he is still in business. The dealer, of course, says the transmission cannot be rebuilt. I would like to keep car for another 75,000 miles or so. I have read all the posts about tranny issues with this car, but no one says they fixed or replaced tranny and drove for another 75,000 miles. I need some independent advice. Do I have any leverage with Acura dealer?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 TL Transmission - Replace or rebuild

Originally Posted by recogdell
My transmission just failed at 141,000 miles. I like the car and want to keep it but don't want ongoing transmission issues. The dealer will replace transmission for $4200 with three year of 36,000 warranty. I have a quote for a rebuild by an independent shop for $2400 installed with 6 month warranty if he is still in business. The dealer, of course, says the transmission cannot be rebuilt. I would like to keep car for another 75,000 miles or so. I have read all the posts about tranny issues with this car, but no one says they fixed or replaced tranny and drove for another 75,000 miles. I need some independent advice. Do I have any leverage with Acura dealer?
Bro, I went to Aamco, paid $2,800 for a new rebuilt and never had another ,problem! The TL
Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by recogdell
Bro, I went to Aamco, paid $2,800 for a new rebuilt and never had another problem! The TL especially the '03 and a couple years after & before are known to have trans problems... They had a recall on them, as quiet as it's kept, along with the drivers side airbag. It has to do with 2nd gear burning up or some ****... I love my TL, I have around 150,000 on it now and it still has plenty of pep! And I still get compliments on it, I've had it like 9yrs. now! The only other problem I hear of and happened to me is the 6 CD changer craped out! Acura gave me a no. to a guy who works on them & he wanted $380 to repair it, I still have it & the Bose speakers, only I replaced it with a Kenwood and Kickers all around w/2 12" Subs & 2 amps... Good Luck! I say the repair is worth it cuz you can get 300,000 outta that bitch no problem!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a recall, it's a warranty extension. Most of the problems out of them were torque converter related, or burnt up clutches. Dealerships no longer rebuild them since Honda started their own remanufacturing program. I have done them a couple of times, and you can get a rebuild kit for about $400, but the labor is the expensive part. Honda reman will last you forever, as will a well done rebuild. Check around for used ones, and sometimes you get luck and will find a used reman that has already had the problems corrected. It's easy to tell as the ID tag on it will have the letters RMK. The dealer I work for has no problem helping find a good, used, reman trans. good luck, but it is totally worth getting fixed.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 5 speed 3 shaft transaxles have a lot of problems: (So do the 4 speed 3 shaft)

1: Insufficient line flow to converter (charge if you prefer that)
2: Poor clutch pressure regulation
3: Soft accumulators on 1-2 and 2-1 (mostly CPC)
4: Poor line pressure regulation and stator shaft pin wear.

Using an of-the-shelf rebuilt unit will most likely use OE parts, which do little to correct the real downfalls. Today there are many kits available to extend the life and functionality of these transaxles. Honda OE clutches are not good enough, in this case.

If you choose a pre-built unit demand the following:

1: Replacement of the pressure regulator valve with a transgo or superior unit.
2: Replacement of the CPC valves and end plugs (prone to leakage).
3: Non-OE clutches (Raybestos GPX clutches are far better for most applications)
4: New converter (Duh? Defective line to converter charge will ruin the original due to overheating).
5: Port out the rear side exhaust port in the valve body. (Increases shift feel, enthusiast modification)

I have ported out the RSX orifice with great results. Some of the characteristic 1-2 and 2-1 slide will remain, but will not be a slippage problem, just a flaw in design. Plugging the lube vent is not required, but a solid idea.

If you want a crisper 2-3 or 3-4 a shift additive will help that immensely. In these instances I gauge the driver and the intent to determine whether or not to use a shift additive right off the line.

No dealer that I am aware of corrects these flaws, only rebuild to factory specification. Factory specification is not good enough for me, or any other soul that drives a 4 or 5 speed with these flaws. You know what I am talking about.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: 2003 TL Transmission - Replace or rebuild

I did the tranny on my 2003 TL at 147,000 $3,200 and 3 year 30,000 mile warranty, shifts great and it is my understanding it should go at least another 7OK, I love the car, this was the least year they made this lower, sleeker longer style, not a big fan of the new compressed versions, just make sure wherever you get it done is reputable, $4,200 from a dealer is a reasonable price, got mine done at a place that specializes in trannys and does TL's all the time, tranny issues continuesd through the '05 version I believe