Ed6 Road/Race Build***Function>Form

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ed6 Road/Race Build***Function>Form

Originally Posted by 4drEF
What cams are you running?
I will have my b16b cams soon but I will probly run my stock b16a since I have no budget now for brand new aftermarket dual spring valve. The 16 b16a dual spring I installed might be enough but I prefer to play safe and wait for some money and then install a safe valve train setup. Bent valves sucks loll I dont wanna do all this job again.

Type R valve springs would be fine but I can't find any of them
Old 04-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went to the engine shop today to get my head milled :D So I put it back in its place!! It's been a long time I saw this engine like this. Still missing my oil pump parts but it should come tomorrow so I'll be able to install it en then the strainer, oil pan, timing belt, intake, blablabla and it'll be a wrap for this engine :D. Lets hope It runs fine! :D

Milled head!

Assembled
Old 04-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good man. I am glad you decided to dig into the engine and not run it as-is.

Keep up the hard work. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

PS, what did you end up doing to seal the welds on your old steelies? Also, any tips on doing that barrel widening for the DIY'er? Mostly curious how you kept them as true as possible?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
Looking good man. I am glad you decided to dig into the engine and not run it as-is.

Keep up the hard work. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

PS, what did you end up doing to seal the welds on your old steelies? Also, any tips on doing that barrel widening for the DIY'er? Mostly curious how you kept them as true as possible?
Hahaha yeah I couldnt run it as-is since I had 90 psi on one cylinder. I found out that I had 3 valves bent so the rebuild did worth it.

About how to seal the welds of the steelies, I pretty much failed with that... I used transparent silicon lolll but the right way to properly seal them is to use black eurethane (Maybe I miss spell it XD I dont know if it's called like that in english). About the tips, theres much to say loll I personally did an incredible job with those steelies I had 2 of them wich didnt need to get balanced since they were real straight but if you are really planning to get a set widened I wont explain here since it's a little bit out of context of what this thread is about (wrong build XD) but we could chat on facebook. add me www.facebook.com/alexandre.tremblay.94 and I'll be pleased to show you with photos the ''tips'' or id say the tools I made to get them straight. About how I kept them as true as possible, I dont get the question XD.

Anyway guys a little update here, I went to the garage get my tired rimmed on the buddyclubs. And... painted the walls with some spray can hahaha. The result is real clean.

Snow is going slowly but surely. I will probly be able to get the car out of its winter garage in 2 weeks if snow doesnt fall again... The forecast says that we will get 40cm of snow this week lolll its ******* april 12.... -_-

How do you like these? Before or after painted walls?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the tire wall painted !!! Race style
There still a lot of snow in Saguenay ???
Engine look great ! cant wait to see it in the bay !
Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ProjetEF
I like the tire wall painted !!! Race style
There still a lot of snow in Saguenay ???
Engine look great ! cant wait to see it in the bay !
Not too much snow left over here depending on the area.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, no facebook for me, but thanks for taking the time to reply and give your thoughts. I may PM you some time about it!

Good luck on the rest of the build, sir! Nice to see another Canadian on here. Lots of us around.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
Ah, no facebook for me, but thanks for taking the time to reply and give your thoughts. I may PM you some time about it!

Good luck on the rest of the build, sir! Nice to see another Canadian on here. Lots of us around.
Youre welcome Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay guys I have a ******* problem :S I hear air coming under the piston when I turn crankshaft :S. I guess I should have bored the cylinder... I tought it was a job of 1000$ but the machine shop guy told me it was 150$... I ****** regret now I dont even think the engine will run lol. Will the rings get placed and it will be ok after time?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you bore the cylinder, then you likely you are going to need a larger piston.
Did you measure the cylinders to make sure they were in spec for the piston you are using?
New hone job and fresh rings will not seal. You need to put the rings under combustion compression so they can do their job.
Plus break in.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well when I turn crankshaft, I feel some resistance but compression get completely lost trough the piston rings.. should I run the engine like that or bore my cylinder and get oversized piston? I would only need to sell the 81mm b16b piston I bought, get a block guard, get the block bored and buy another set of piston. Then Id have a brand new engine.

I did check what was the bore of my cylinder before ordering but I dont have any equipment to correctly check with precision about it.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Keyboard Humorist

For peace of mind, I would tear it down and do measurements before running off to bore.

Please don't block guard.
If you want to reinforce without sleeving, then do something like http://www.cylindersupportsystem.com/
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Always refreshing to see a EF being built properly, props to you sir
Old 04-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For peace of mind, I would tear it down and do measurements before running off to bore.

If you want to reinforce without sleeving, then do something like http://www.cylindersupportsystem.com/
The cylinder are clearly out of specs loll you can't imagine how much compression I loose through the rings there is just no compression made.. loll
That CSS... loll I'm not running a 800hp turbo b16 I'm sure the standard block guard will do a great job for what the engine is used for and for it's hp.

Originally Posted by SiRBranno
Always refreshing to see a EF being built properly, props to you sir
Thanks alot :D
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd definitely agree. Block guards are more hassle than good.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well what will happen is that even if I'm not putting any block guard it wont change anything since I will probly never open this engine again. If something happens and I have to open it again it'll be a snapped bearring on crank or rod so I will just go from the bottom of the engine.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sa fait sacré en simonac sa !! j'étais ***é déçu quand j'ai lu sa j'imagine pas toé !!!

So your gonna try to run it like this or what ?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Originally Posted by alex1321
The cylinder are clearly out of specs loll you can't imagine how much compression I loose through the rings there is just no compression made.. loll
That CSS... loll I'm not running a 800hp turbo b16 I'm sure the standard block guard will do a great job for what the engine is used for and for it's hp.

Thanks alot :D
It's not for 800hp - you use stock sleeves and price is reasonable too.
Basically, they are putting in a block guard design specifically for your engine.
Much unlike an off the shelf block guard that is "one size fits all".
Most to worry about is cooling and since you are "road race", do you really want to cut off some of your water flow through the few holes in the block guard?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The coolant is the main issue. I haven't kept up with your plans for the motor. But if you are sub 300 HP I would stay with stock sleeves and no block guard. Block guards really do hinder the cooling capabilities more often then they help reinforce the top of the cylinder wall.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not for 800hp - you use stock sleeves and price is reasonable too.
Basically, they are putting in a block guard design specifically for your engine.
Much unlike an off the shelf block guard that is "one size fits all".
Most to worry about is cooling and since you are "road race", do you really want to cut off some of your water flow through the few holes in the block guard?
well 300$ for a block guard Ill pass.

Originally Posted by ProjetEF
Sa fait sacré en simonac sa !! j'étais ***é déçu quand j'ai lu sa j'imagine pas toé !!!

So your gonna try to run it like this or what ?
Nah Ill prob re rebuild it loll
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay good news, it seems like its all good if the rings doesnt seal yet because of the honed cylinders. It should get fixed by itself when the engine is going to be running. So lets run it like this and if It spend too much oil Ill just re rebuild it but the right way. This is the first engine I build so I learn of it :D.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alex1321
Okay good news, it seems like its all good if the rings doesnt seal yet because of the honed cylinders. It should get fixed by itself when the engine is going to be running. So lets run it like this and if It spend too much oil Ill just re rebuild it but the right way. This is the first engine I build so I learn of it :D.
Yeah !!!! im happy to ear your going to try it !! keep us updated
Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had some suspension system installation with my good friend on his little integra this weekend so I couldnt put time on the ed. Snow is pretty much gone so it's time to take our beasts out and start the work. I finished school 3 weeks ago but I can't find any job... bad timing with the economy around here. I hope I'll find one soon lol this is slowing the build down heavily.. I had in mind to get the ed ready for a paint job this month but things are going wrong lol I hope I can make it for the next month.

The suspension I installed on my friends integra is a Zenky coilover as well with some eibach camber kits and all. I got a ride after the installation and I didnt know it was going to be that good. Even with the 10k front and 14k rear wich is kinda hard, our butt isnt getting kicked by every cracks on the road. I hope my 10k front and 12k rear will be that great.

Out of context but... couldnt pass.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Woaaa that feeling when you take your first ride of the year... without any seats in there -_- lolll The ride was quite short.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How's the motor running?

Quick Reply: Ed6 Road/Race Build***Function>Form