Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

97 Auto accord transmission HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Auto accord transmission HELP!!!

I currently have a 97 honda accord. The auto transmission shifter won't shift down from park without using shift override. And then when you do that and move it down the d4 light won't light up but all the others will. And it feels like it is taking off in 3rd or fourth. And then when you shift it down into 2 or 1 the car feels like its taking off into second? I've already replace the shift and lock solenoid?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 97 Auto accord transmission HELP!!!

On the auto you're required to hold the brake down to shift it into gear
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

X2. And I'm not sure I've personally seen one where d4 did light up, but n and d3 light up so it's pretty easy to figure out what gear you're in, and starting in 2nd is normal (that's why it's sluggish off the line in d4), in 2nd gear it's also normal for it to feel like its in 2nd gear, 1st should be a noticeable difference
Old 04-19-2014, 09:48 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

For future reference, you will ALWAYS start off in 1st unless you have manually selected second, or there is a fault in the transmission. And the D4 light should come on at prestart check with all the other warning lights, turns off when the engine is started and should light up when selected at D4.

If your D4 light is not lighting up either the lamp is blown or the switch in the console is dirty/broken.

Originally Posted by jpenn24
I currently have a 97 honda accord. The auto transmission shifter won't shift down from park without using shift override.
If you do not hear a clicking when stepping on the brake pedal for the interlock releasing then it may be due to a fault in the brake switch, the wiring of the brake switch, or the interlock.

I suspect the brake switch itself may be faulty as the interlock also affects if the key can be removed from the ignition.
And then when you do that and move it down the d4 light won't light up but all the others will. And it feels like it is taking off in 3rd or fourth. And then when you shift it down into 2 or 1 the car feels like its taking off into second? I've already replace the shift and lock solenoid?
The TCU is in limp mode.

Remove your gauge cluster and replace the D4 light with one from D3-D1 so you can retrieve the TCU codes. Do not disassemble the gauges from the cluster board. Just remove the front lexan glass and black fascia to reveal the gauges and warning lamps. Pull the D4 lamp out an replace it with the D3-D1 lamps. It should share the same base color. Or if you have a Honda dealer nearby pick up a new lamp.

78181-SF1-612 BULB & SOCKET ASSY. (14V 80MA)(BASE:BLACK) (NS) 5.20
78182-SM4-003 SOCKET ASSY., BULB (14V-100MA)(BASE:BROWN) 3.00
78184-SM4-003 SOCKET ASSY., BULB (14V-60MA) (BASE:GRAY) 5.72

When that is done you can pull the TCU codes by jumping the two wire blue connector located under the center of the glove box door. Jumper the connector and turn the ignition to II(ON) and watch the D4 light flash for codes. http://techauto.awardspace.com/trans...roubleshooting

Ideally the D4 light should be working to retrieve the TCU codes which will be more accurate in troubleshooting any issues related to the transmission.
You can see if there are any applicable codes set via the OBDII port located behind the ash tray. But the OBDII codes are not that well documented in translation from OBDI to OBDII.

Originally Posted by 95accordCE6
starting in 2nd is normal
No it is not. From a stop the transmission will start off in 1st. Now during some low speed maneuvering, or if you do not come to a complete stop, the transmission will not always downshift to 1st. But from a complete stop the transmission should start off in 1st. If not there is an issue present.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would do as mad mike says, and in light of that I apologize for any misleading information
Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Mad Mike, I haven't had time to try it yet but as soon as I do I will let you know if it helped or not. And I apologize if I did not clearly state the issue I was having but thanks all.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And the D4 light does not light up at all. But the Transmission ran just fine before, but the thing is is that I just recently swapped an H22a4 into it and bolted it right up to the transmission when it started to do this...and yes when I step on the brakes to pull it out of park it clicks, but it won't move like it is stuck. And to clear things up when I said it felt like it started off in fouth when put down into D4 or D3 I meant that it actually starts you off in fourth gear and it will not change up nor down while driving. And then you can shift it into the 2 or 1 position and it will shift down into second gear, but it will not shift down to first, regardless of it is in the 1 position or not, just second, so that is how I have been having to drive it, but I really need help on getting it fixed, because NOBODY knows what the problem is. I still haven't suggested what Mike suggested yet, so that might fix it, but I was just hoping that clearing things up would help solve the issue, if you need more details on what all we changed during the swap then let me know. ANOTHER thing, don't know if this would help any either but, about a month before I did anything to the car, I was driving normally and the the CEL came on and the D4 light began to blink nonstop, so I get home and check the tranny fluid and everything and it all looked good so I get back in the car and crank it back up and the D4 light wasn't flashing anymore but the CEL was still on so I got the codes pulled and it pulled a honda code, I can't remember what it is but I can figure it out if someone gets back to me anytime soon.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A faulty vss can cause the blinking d4 light and cel simultaneously and put the tcu in limp mode as mad mike suggested
Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I was driving normally and the the CEL came on and the D4 light began to blink nonstop... I got the codes pulled and it pulled a honda code, I can't remember what it is but I can figure it out if someone gets back to me anytime soon.
If you do not know/have the code that was set there is no way for us to help you. We do not have the car in front of us.

The TCU has its own set of codes, and shares a few with the ECU/PCM.

A problem with an engine sensor will also affect the operation of the auto trans.

Best track of solution is to FIX THE D4 LIGHT if one of the codes is transmission specific the OBDII trans codes are not well documented and we as a forum cannot help you with the OBDII transmission codes as well as we could with the D4/OBDI trans code.

Fix the D4 light.