Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

knocking sound as soon as the wheels rotate

Old 09-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default knocking sound as soon as the wheels rotate

Hey guys, help me figure this one out..

There's a knocking sound shortly after I take off from a stand still, the sound becomes apparent after speeds of a whopping 3 mph. The noise is not there when the steering wheel is turned while standing in one place, but is there when turning and moving. Engine revs without problems and without noises.

Sound developed over the last week, no sounds before.

I've double and triple checked my suspension and nothing is loose, all bushings and ball joints are fairly new, no vibrations from wheel bearings.

Both axles are 1 month old (AutoZone//Duralast brand), but still .. could this be an axle issue?
Nothing is visibly broken, bent, loose, or damaged.

What does this sound like ?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: knocking sound as soon as the wheels rotate

Myself and others I know have had horrible experiences with advance and autozone axles, they're terrible. They all started leaking grease past the bands on the boots, even re banding them didn't stop it, you made sure none of the joints are leaking?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Transmission? Bearing in the halfshaft? Wheel bearings? Loose lug nuts? Cracked brake pad?

I can name things all day long. Throw the car on a lift, or 4 good jack stands, and let it run at idle in first, see if you can tell where the noise comes from.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similar problem and need help as well. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm a new user and cannot create a new thread.

I have 1999 Honda Civic Si with 94k miles. It has a b18b1 from previous owner

The problem is: When I decelerate or brake from about 45mph or higher I hear a sort of knocking/chugging sound coming from the passenger front wheel area. It sounds like a fast knock and as I slow down it gradually slows down as well. As the car comes to rest the knocking sound stops as well with 3 or 4 last knocks.

I recently had the alignment, balancing and tire rotation done at Meineke. They forgot to put one of the nuts on the passenger side wheel and I drove the car about 10 miles before realizing. I promptly replaced the nut with a new one. When the nut was off, I would hear sort of a knock/clunk when the car would be about to stop. However, the sound went away when i replaced the nut.

The sound i'm having now is kind of like a very fast knock when decelerating from 45mph or more. The car does not vibrate, shake or goes to one side at any speed. The steering feels pretty smooth as well.

I'm thinking it might be a wheel bearing, but I though a bad bearing would make a loud grinding sort of sound.

My rims on the Si are all perfect as well, no bends or anything that I can see.

Also, there is no knocking at all when the car is parked and I rev the engine. I revved it up to past 5k and let it slow down there was absolutely no knock. I have had an oil change done less than 500 miles ago as well.

I will greatly appreciate all your help. Thank you.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shamu1
yada yada yada Civic yada yada
This is the Prelude section of the forums. You might want to wander over to the General or Civic sections to hijack some other thread.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similar problem. I thought for sure it was the axle but I replaced it and the knocking is still there. I'm stumped now so let me know if u figure anything out.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also perhaps check your motor and transmission mounts, maybe one of them is giving up allowing the engine to twist upon take off, maybe see if there is shiny metal on your header/down pipe where it goes past the cross member. I had a knocking sound in mine after I pulled my engine and put it back in because the bolt from my front motor mount worked its way out and allowed things to shift around in there. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda owns me

Potentially radius arms or their bushings?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Autozone, cardone, etc axles suck. One thing that is worth going OEM on.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what ended up being the solution? i just drove my car today after trying to uninstall my front struts (without success) and noticed a weird noise when the wheels rotate. it happens at any speed and sounds like something is definitely rubbing. what should i check?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You should probably go over everything on the front end of the car again, especially if you were not successfull at changing struts, something is probably loose or damaged. Might be a good idea to just have the car towed to a shop and have someone with more mechanical skill do it as well, for the safety of yourself and everyone else on the road.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Trial User

Mine was making that same noise I changed the rack n pinoin n it went away
Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem was resolved a while ago, but just wanted to update this thread.
Lets blame the 'shop' on this one.

So the shop that I went to for my hub/wheel-bearing replacement on my front knuckles did not press in the new hub/wheel-bearing assembly all the way on the driver's side knuckle. Took me a while to figure this out, but when comparing the spacing of the passenger side knuckle/hub assembly, I could see that the driver's side was not pressed in all the way, about 7mm off, thus leading to bearing vibrations and noise while driving.

Took the knuckle back to the shop and had them press in the hub/wheel-bearing assembly further, problem solved.