Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

14 accord 4 cyl problem

Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 14 accord 4 cyl problem

So I bought a 2014 accord "sport" four cylinder and it is now in the dealer after only 1700 miles with a "tick" coming from the head/block area. has anyone experienced any issues with these earth dream engines?

the dealer says they have to wait till they can speak and/or get techs from California involved before they can even "get into the problem"

any tips and advice will be welcomed from you guys on what steps to take on a brand new car. thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 14 accord 4 cyl problem

Direct Injection engines are normally noisy. It's brand new, so I wouldn't worry. They will fix it, replace the motor, or give you a new car if you have the same problem 2 more times.

Personally I don't like direct injection. Cars from the early 90's get better fuel economy from todays newer cars.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you even know what direct injection is furious? First off plenty of direct injection cars are actually very quiet, some of the older ones can be "noisy" (like the early 90's cars) but older cars in general tend to be noisier. Second have you looked at any new cars lately? There getting better mpg and power than cars in the 90's. I personally love obd1 but there's no denying how technology has advanced and what it's done to the automotive industry.

As far as your questions catdaddy I have a few friends that recently got that same car and a "ticking" sound is not normal. They've had no problems with their cars so far and I haven't heard anything either. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, maybe someone else can shed a little light on your problem
Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually ticking is normal on these accords and is rather loud.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Direct Injection engines are normally noisy. It's brand new, so I wouldn't worry. They will fix it, replace the motor, or give you a new car if you have the same problem 2 more times.

Personally I don't like direct injection. Cars from the early 90's get better fuel economy from todays newer cars.
Cars from the early '90s also put out about half the power that today's cars do. Apples to oranges.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:24 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddy77
So I bought a 2014 accord "sport" four cylinder and it is now in the dealer after only 1700 miles with a "tick" coming from the head/block area. has anyone experienced any issues with these earth dream engines?

the dealer says they have to wait till they can speak and/or get techs from California involved before they can even "get into the problem"

any tips and advice will be welcomed from you guys on what steps to take on a brand new car. thanks.
there are no steps to take... as you stated, it is a brand new car and as such, under warranty.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 AM
CM6
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by _MMR_
a "ticking" sound is not normal.
OH REALLY?

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...hlight=ticking

Old 02-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you even know what direct injection is furious? First off plenty of direct injection cars are actually very quiet, some of the older ones can be "noisy" (like the early 90's cars) but older cars in general tend to be noisier. Second have you looked at any new cars lately? There getting better mpg and power than cars in the 90's. I personally love obd1 but there's no denying how technology has advanced and what it's done to the automotive industry.

As far as your questions catdaddy I have a few friends that recently got that same car and a "ticking" sound is not normal. They've had no problems with their cars so far and I haven't heard anything either. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, maybe someone else can shed a little light on your problem
Yes, I have heard many direct injection engines on the newer cars. They all tick. Especially Honda's. Some of the ticking is normal. If it's extreme then the DEALER can look at it. Check out what VCM did for Honda. They are replacing pistons, and rings, plugs, and major software updates. Honda's new infotainment is doing wonders as well putting the Accord on consumer reports unreliable list.

Not all technology is good, not unless it's tested extensively before being released. Go to the Honda/Acura dealer and listen to the new cars running with direct injection. You will hear it tick.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bakemono36
Cars from the early '90s also put out about half the power that today's cars do. Apples to oranges.
Half? Are you sure about that?

Lets see. a 1998 Acura Integra GSR sedan puts out 172hp, a 2014 Honda Accord EX puts out 185hp. Personally in an Integra GSR I have gotten 36mpg. Normal driving about 30. Before you get all pissy about an Integra VS an Accord, I'm only comparing power and fuel economy. If in 1998 (actually 94-01) Honda could get that much power, and economy without all of todays tech?

Newer Honda's have more issues, than the older ones did. Most of this new technology is garbage. Look at all the VCM problems in the V6. http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...sumption.shtml

My 03 Accord 6-6 gets 27mpg mixed driving. I've achieved 34 all highway. People are so crazy about gas and they don't have to be. Drive moderately, stop speding $50 a week on coffee.

Last edited by furious94ls; 02-28-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll agree that there's a "ticking" noise when the engine is cold but once it warms up its not a loud sound. Maybe I'm just used to how cars sound, but newer car's are considerably quieter than one's from the early 90's. I assume if someone is posting on here about a "ticking " sound it's probably not normal, and apparently the folks at op's dealer don't seem to think it's normal.

As far as power and mpg your just wrong. There's no argument to be made about it, apparently you haven't looked at any actual numbers of any newer car's.

1995 accord ex 4cyl- 145hp, 147lb, 22-28 mpg
6cyl- 170hp, 165lb, 17-23 mpg

2014 accord ex 4cyl- 185hp, 181lb, 24-34 mpg
6cyl- 278hp, 252lb, 21-34 mpg

1998 Integra gsr 4cyl- 170hp, 128lb, 22-28

Not even in the same league, newer car's have better numbers all around hands down and it's because of all that "garbage" technology. That being said I'm not a big fan of new cars mostly because that technology makes everything more expensive and much harder to work on.
A lot of people though prefer newer car's because of all the perks that come with them stock (better power, mpg, bluetooth, navigation, heated seats, warranty and so on).

Sorry for the hijacking op, I'm sure your dealer will take care of you. Let us know what ends up happening at the dealership.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I've owned a 94, 98 and currently have a 97 4dr gsr and all...ALL of them averaged 33mpg.. On long drives I get 36mpg.. Just because a website says something doesnt make it the truth. Older Honda and Acuras are just better.. Honda grew too fast and have tons of growing pains. When you sublet stuff to the lowest bidder instead of using tried n true proven company's, parts n quality suffer. I could give you 100's of examples.. I work with it daily... Half the people out here don't even know the half of what's going on right now with Honda..
Old 03-01-2014, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll agree that there's a "ticking" noise when the engine is cold but once it warms up its not a loud sound. Maybe I'm just used to how cars sound, but newer car's are considerably quieter than one's from the early 90's. I assume if someone is posting on here about a "ticking " sound it's probably not normal, and apparently the folks at op's dealer don't seem to think it's normal.

As far as power and mpg your just wrong. There's no argument to be made about it, apparently you haven't looked at any actual numbers of any newer car's.

1995 accord ex 4cyl- 145hp, 147lb, 22-28 mpg
6cyl- 170hp, 165lb, 17-23 mpg

2014 accord ex 4cyl- 185hp, 181lb, 24-34 mpg
6cyl- 278hp, 252lb, 21-34 mpg

1998 Integra gsr 4cyl- 170hp, 128lb, 22-28

Not even in the same league, newer car's have better numbers all around hands down and it's because of all that "garbage" technology. That being said I'm not a big fan of new cars mostly because that technology makes everything more expensive and much harder to work on.
A lot of people though prefer newer car's because of all the perks that come with them stock (better power, mpg, bluetooth, navigation, heated seats, warranty and so on).

Sorry for the hijacking op, I'm sure your dealer will take care of you. Let us know what ends up happening at the dealership.
LOL, you're going by fueleconomy.gov? I'm going by real world driving, and personal results. Nobody complains about those cars with MPG. People have filed lawsuits against Honda for false MPG claims. These new cars DO NOT get what they claim. Also, with the "tech" that you love so much, did you read about the VCM issues?

Also 185hp vs 145HP is not HALF as you stated earlier. This isn't about new car safety. I'm well aware newer cars are safe. This is an enthusiast site, not a new car review. OP has ticking. Direct injection engines tick, yes louder when cold, but still tick. Also Hondas are notorious for fuel injector tick on older models as well.

Honda didn't have nearly as many problems back then as they do now. Look what had to happen with the 12 Civic, first car ever to receive a redesign in ONE year of production. Hondas first. When it comes down to it, they make better enthusiast cars. The 14 Accord 6-6 is trouble free, the Civic SI is as well. There is a video though on youtube of a 98 Integra Type R vs a 13 Civic SI and it was 1 second faster and got better fuel economy. Also that's 201hp vs 195. Again, not HALF.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's start with the numbers ok. You gave me "your" number's and I gave you real numbers, numbers that you can find on many Websites as well as the actual numbers that honda posted on the cars themselves. I've driven a new accord sport and it got 32 mpg and I wasn't easy on it so those numbers don't seem too off. As far as a gsr in my personal experience they're roughly around 30 mpg on avg.

Next I haven't stated newer Hondas don't have problems or that they get double the power or anything about safety so I'm not really sure why your even bringing those things up. In fact I've stated that I don't care for newer car's and that I prefer older one's. So once again the only tech I love here is older v-tec.

Now about your video that you got off of YouTube (which is from some website just like my numbers). First off you can't really compare 2 different cars like that the guy even states that it's basically comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing a car that was never released in the states (less emissions laws, usually better performance and mpg) and was built with pretty much only performance in mind with one that is from the states that has comfort, commuting, luxury, etc in mind. Put a new si against a 90's or even a 2000 si and it'll be a completely different story. I'm not nor have I said said all new cars are better than older ones. I have stated that the combined power/mpg of new cars in general is superior to that of older cars which is true and has really been the only point I've been making.

You stated that "cars from the early 90's get better fuel economy from todays newer cars" and that's not true. I'm sure there's the exception here and there but generally speaking newer car's have better all around number's. Now u can tell me you or your cousin or your cousins wife's best friends uncle got whatever mpg but it means nothing. I've shown "real" number's that I know to at least be close to what is correct. If you really can't come to terms with the fact that newer car's are superior in some ways then that's your problem. Are they better in every way hell no, are the few ways there better enough to make me buy one over a clean mid 90's civic, not even if it was half price.

Now maybe I was a lil quick on the "ticking" but when op post's on here that it's a concern and his dealer is looking into it I tend to not want to just brush it off as nothing. I would hope that people aren't alarmed by a "normal" sounding car. Now if it's just normal sounds then that's what it is and op should get to know his car a little better, seeing as his dealer took it in though it suggests that it might be a little more than that. Honda has never been known for their "quiet" cars but I've been in and driven the 14 accord and once it warms up its not loud at all unless you're really stepping on it. Now if you really want to keep going on with this open a new thread and we'll continue there
Old 03-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're comparing a car that was never released in the states (less emissions laws, usually better performance and mpg) and was built with pretty much only performance in mind with one that is from the states that has comfort, commuting, luxury, etc in mind. Put a new si against a 90's or even a 2000 si and it'll be a completely different story. .
The Integra Type R was available in the United States (97,98,00,01) as is the Honda Civic SI. You stated that older cars have half the power and less economy than todays newer Hondas. This video showed a 15 year old Honda getting better economy, faster times, and the same power. My point is the Honda tried to make the Civic SI what the ITR was, but with todays comfort and tech.

I never said anything about other peoples fuel numbers. Those were mine. I've always gotten better than what the websites say the fuel should be based on car care, and driving style. When I want to "get on" my car I don't care what the fuel economy is. I too like the older cars newer. The 05 RSX-S was better than the 01 GSR. Those days are now gone.

Here is a vid of the SI vs SI

15 years later and it's only faster by 1 second in the 1/4, and 0-60. Although it has a bit quicker times the older model is still favored.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ticking is actually a normal condition on the 4 cylinders due to the high pressure direct injection uses. We have had many complaints on the subject but it is a normal condition.

Fuel economy is roughly the same now as it was in the 90's. I've personally owned 25 Hondas, all have "real world" gotten 30-39mpg and the only two newer Hondas I've owned was a 04 and a 06 tsx. The rest were all early to mid 90 Hondas when they were great cars. We have lots more service bulletins and recalls than we ever had back in the 90's. I might have replaced 5-10 engines back then, maybe 20 transmissions... With these newer Hondas I'm replacing either an engine, transmission or pistons every other week! It's ridiculous. We have issues with block, vtc, power steering racks, driveshafts, chains..... Get the point?
I don't get my information thru a website or relative or my grandmas uncles dad... I see it daily with my own eyes and work on it with my hands...
Hondas reputation is only going off what the used to be not what they are today... If they don't start turning things around there reputation will be going down just like their products have.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
Ticking is actually a normal condition on the 4 cylinders due to the high pressure direct injection uses. We have had many complaints on the subject but it is a normal condition.

Fuel economy is roughly the same now as it was in the 90's. I've personally owned 25 Hondas, all have "real world" gotten 30-39mpg and the only two newer Hondas I've owned was a 04 and a 06 tsx. The rest were all early to mid 90 Hondas when they were great cars. We have lots more service bulletins and recalls than we ever had back in the 90's. I might have replaced 5-10 engines back then, maybe 20 transmissions... With these newer Hondas I'm replacing either an engine, transmission or pistons every other week! It's ridiculous. We have issues with block, vtc, power steering racks, driveshafts, chains..... Get the point?
I don't get my information thru a website or relative or my grandmas uncles dad... I see it daily with my own eyes and work on it with my hands...
Hondas reputation is only going off what the used to be not what they are today... If they don't start turning things around there reputation will be going down just like their products have.
THANK YOU....
Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys, thanks for all the info! It did turn out to be a bad vtec solenoid. The dealer did not want to touch the car because every tech that heard the sound was certain it was an internal mechanical issue and I guess the way dealers deal with such problems is they take pictures and send all reports to California(perhaps that's the engineering hub for Honda?) regardless, the engineering team worked with the dealer and the first part they changed was the vtec solenoid and that fixed it.
By the first week of march the car has been great and I was sure to get all the data and documents of the issue in case other problems related to the issue arise.
Again, thanks for the input gentlemen.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think people who drove 90's Hondas forgot how many problems they had. I loved my 92 Accord, but it was not trouble-free. My 03 V6 Accord has actually had fewer problems, and gets the same mileage with 100 more hp. Sorry, but that's the truth.