Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

is it worth to tune stock motor ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: is it worth to tune stock motor ??

Originally Posted by JDogg
wow, noone is going to blow up a motor with some bolt on parts

and yes a tune will make nice gains on a stock h22
depends on the bolt-ons. If someone puts on a CAI and drives through a deep puddle, I bet they can **** up their motor.
My point was slapping random parts period isn't a good idea if you aren't following a plan and watching what parts you use. The term "random performance parts" ranges from intakes to clutches to turbo kits. All of which can **** something up if not done right.

To the OP, when I say it's okay to tune a stock motor, I personally would do the whole shebang with OBD1 conversion and Neptune, ECtune, etc. To do it right, you'll be on a dyno anyway, so might as well get all the tuning options you can to maximize the tune and investment.

Last edited by Si Speed; 08-18-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you guys saying its pointless to tune have never felt the difference between a stock untuned h22 and a tuned stock h22.

I have and its great
Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Si Speed
IMO, there are gains to be made from the factory settings on the stock motor. Gains in fuel economy and power. If you don't plan to do much to the car anyway, I say do it. If you have big plans, I'd wait, unless you have a lot of disposable money.
This is a great point that I did fail to mention. What are the goals for your vehicle?

Originally Posted by Bangher4$
fyi, nobody likes a know-it-all.
Nobody likes a moron posting incorrect info to a simple question.

Originally Posted by A Blue Lude
lol at 5mpg from an AFC
You're like a broken record. It seems all your posts are reserved simply to disagree with everything I say. I've got first-hand experience on the subject, what about you?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Kronn 98SH
You're like a broken record. It seems all your posts are reserved simply to disagree with everything I say. I've got first-hand experience on the subject, what about you?

he has experience with a real engine management system.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 AM

j-ktuning has a nice deal on a chipped p28 with an s2/300, that would not only help you now working with bolt ons but you can easily use it later if you decide to put on a turbo or go all motor, no matter what you do its all about what you want dont listen to anyone on what they would do just take advice and make your own decision
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 AM

before tuning I will install cams,maybe 1 or 2 years later supercharged or turbo.for now i just whant the car to run better an cleaner to
Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better to do things once... please trust me on that.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectBB6
better to do things once... please trust me on that.
You're a retard stop giving advice. A tune on a light modded H22 will easily yield 15-20hp through out the powerband. Slapping on parts like many of these kids do with out even a simple tune is a waste. Hell a tune on an unmodded H22 will likely yield at least 10-15 hp. have you ever seen the A/F ratios on a stock H22. A tune is never a bad thing...
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
A tune on a light modded H22 will easily yield 15-20hp through out the powerband. Slapping on parts like many of these kids do with out even a simple tune is a waste. Hell a tune on an unmodded H22 will likely yield at least 10-15 hp. have you ever seen the A/F ratios on a stock H22. A tune is never a bad thing...
Although I think your estimates are a little high, I agree completely with what you're saying. And yes, the stock A/F ratios are ridiculous. You can see one in my header thread.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're a retard stop giving advice. A tune on a light modded H22 will easily yield 15-20hp through out the powerband. Slapping on parts like many of these kids do with out even a simple tune is a waste. Hell a tune on an unmodded H22 will likely yield at least 10-15 hp. have you ever seen the A/F ratios on a stock H22. A tune is never a bad thing...
Hey, get yourself together. Your throwing an insult for what? The topic title is clearly asking for opinions. Yours matters no more than mine. And your numbers are bloated btw. If you think its worth it to spend $600 just to get the car tuned... so what. Tuning a car on safc is also dumb... its a waist. If he plans to go turbo/supercharge later then why buy parts that he will be replacing. I have been there done that. The name calling doesn't change my opinion...

I would rather leave a prelude completely stock(untuned) and do my best to maintain it than buy parts that I would only end up replacing in the future anyway. If you do decide to tune, buy an EMS like s300 or ectune etc. Something you can use later when you boost. This will also allow the tuner to give you an even more fine tune. (Intake, header, exhaust) These are the ricer mods I was talking about earlier... its just a term used by some enthusiast because everyone has them. Especially on Honda's, the gains are usually minimal to mediocre at best. If you have a goal for your car then shoot for it.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even with no mods, tuning out the vtec dip is still worth it ...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ProjectBB6
Hey, get yourself together. Your throwing an insult for what? The topic title is clearly asking for opinions. Yours matters no more than mine. And your numbers are bloated btw. If you think its worth it to spend $600 just to get the car tuned... so what. Tuning a car on safc is also dumb... its a waist. If he plans to go turbo/supercharge later then why buy parts that he will be replacing. I have been there done that. The name calling doesn't change my opinion...

I would rather leave a prelude completely stock(untuned) and do my best to maintain it than buy parts that I would only end up replacing in the future anyway. If you do decide to tune, buy an EMS like s300 or ectune etc. Something you can use later when you boost. This will also allow the tuner to give you an even more fine tune. (Intake, header, exhaust) These are the ricer mods I was talking about earlier... its just a term used by some enthusiast because everyone has them. Especially on Honda's, the gains are usually minimal to mediocre at best. If you have a goal for your car then shoot for it.
The difference between our statements is mine is not an opinion. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about yet talk with authority and in my book that's a retard. Just because you bought a bunch of random"ricer" parts and did not bother to tune them you saw little gains and feel its not worth it. Did you even do a before and after dyno after you slapped said parts on? Or is it you just "know" there were no gains had?? I digress, the fact is that a tune will greatly benefit an H22 with "ricer" bolt-ons. And the numbers may be slightly high. But you can come damn close with bolt on parts and a tune. Consider this: an H22 with I/E/and at least a decent header(not necessarily one of the best) will gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-13 hp by just slapping the parts on as is. Now tune those parts for maximum efficiency and you have a very nice running H22. Many, and I mean MANY people stop with an I/E/H, even though they plan to do more. They simply never get around to it. And purchasing an s300 or similar program to tune now will benefit in the future should the OP decide to move forward with his modding. Yes I also believe a VAFC is a waste. But some tuners can work wonders with it...

(BTW: All manufactures tune the car for emissions purposes only. At WOT the maps are preset and are set-up for engine longevity rather than power,i.e. butt loads of fuel. At least 25% of an engines power is left on the table from the factory)

Last edited by DCFIVER; 08-21-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol it is an opinionated question. What is worth it to you may not be worth it to me. Bolt ons and tuning leave many around the 200whp mark lol. Worth it to me? Nah...
Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're not going to gain 10-15hp for less money.

those numbers are not bloated, i have seen it and done it many many times

and yes tuning a vafc is worthless, sell it, get a chipped ecu with crome for the time being. its cheap and easy
Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 AM

The difference between our statements is mine is not an opinion. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about yet talk with authority and in my book that's a retard. Just because you bought a bunch of random"ricer" parts and did not bother to tune them you saw little gains and feel its not worth it. Did you even do a before and after dyno after you slapped said parts on? Or is it you just "know" there were no gains had?? I digress, the fact is that a tune will greatly benefit an H22 with "ricer" bolt-ons. And the numbers may be slightly high. But you can come damn close with bolt on parts and a tune. Consider this: an H22 with I/E/and at least a decent header(not necessarily one of the best) will gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-13 hp by just slapping the parts on as is. Now tune those parts for maximum efficiency and you have a very nice running H22. Many, and I mean MANY people stop with an I/E/H, even though they plan to do more. They simply never get around to it. And purchasing an s300 or similar program to tune now will benefit in the future should the OP decide to move forward with his modding. Yes I also believe a VAFC is a waste. But some tuners can work wonders with it...

(BTW: All manufactures tune the car for emissions purposes only. At WOT the maps are preset and are set-up for engine longevity rather than power,i.e. butt loads of fuel. At least 25% of an engines power is left on the table from the factory)
sooo true
Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say it depends on the state of the car, what it means to you, and what you really want from it. If you only want more mpg then id listen to those that point towards fuel system treatments, regular maintenance, tuning, etc; but if your looking for more hp from a stock motor you have to be serious. You dont wanna slap on mods but rather make them work together. If you port and polish intake and heads get larger exhaust manifold as needed. If you put in bigger cams look into bigger throttle body. Also keep in mind more power means more strain on the motor. You dont wanna put in stage 3 cams only to shredd your stock timing belt and bend one or more valves. Also keep other upgrades in mind like suspension, cooling, wheels, and stripping out the inside or carbon fiber. Iv got a 92 prelude and your never gunna get mindblowing performance but if you mod, try to upgrade the system rather than just a single part. Hope this has helped!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info in this thread! I always forget the added benefit of gas mileage when tuning
Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: is it worth to tune stock motor ??

25% huh? Is this proven, or just your opinion? Not trying to be sarcastic btw, just wondering since I have a bone stock f22a, which I want to do slight mods if like you say every little bit makes a difference, then I would be interested in putting on an in. Ex. Tb. Clutch, and whatever else can help my engine, gain more power, but still be somewhat unaltered. By this I mean not doing a complete engine swap, or other rather expensive additions. And if I were to replace these parts with those from an h22 or h23 which, I know one of these I believe many people have said are swaps worth doing, would it be wise to wait until I have all the parts? Or could changing one at a time here and there be fine as well? I don't have a problem taking apart if no other issue than that. That's all I'm trying to figure out. Thanks for this very useful info btw!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this convo died about 5 years ago... Dont expect a reply from anyone you may be quoting, only new people have been commenting on this thread in the past half decade.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that's what I figured. Thought I would give a try anyways, lol.
Thanks for the heads up though, and about the question, what do u think? I'd appreciate anyone with more experience giving they're useful opinion. Gracias sparksman.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lude_wey
25% huh? Is this proven, or just your opinion?
The AF graphs dont lie......

(and cb7tuner.com would be THEE place to ask for modding F22 engines.)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, hey thanks for replying I really appreciate. Especially since sparksman had let me know that maybe no one would answer due to how old this is. Glad I joined!