Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Knocking noise. Now is engine isn't starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise. Now is engine isn't starting

Good day,

Two days ago I started to hear a knocking noise from the hood, not sure if from the engine, the voice is clear from the left side of the engine, where the belt and the pulleys located. I could not locate the source of the noise! I also looked under the car and noticed the noise also coming from the passenger side.

Saturday I decided to take it to the mechanic but when I turned the key, the engine started for less than 5 seconds while the noise became louder and it went off. I tried to start it again but it won't. The starter is working, the belt is rotating, the engine is shacking trying to start but I don't.

I did not notice any temperature change from the time I started to hear the knocking voice. I also checked the level of the oil and the air filter, everything seems to be good.

Its Accord 2005 V6. It has 107K on it. What might cause this problem?!!

PS: The noise goes like TK TK TK TK TKTKTKTK
Old 04-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Knocking noise. Now is engine isn't starting

Now after trying to crack it few times the battery died. I start to thank that it might be the alternator which was making the noise, would it be? Is it possible for the car to crack few times and fail to start because of the alternator?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Knocking noise. Now is engine isn't starting

Originally Posted by K roun
Now after trying to crack it few times the battery died. I start to thank that it might be the alternator which was making the noise, would it be? Is it possible for the car to crack few times and fail to start because of the alternator?
If by crack you mean "crank" then the answer is YES. If the alternator is not fully charging the battery when it is running then the battery will sit at a low charge. Since the car is not running when you attempt to start it is pulling the voltage directly from the battery, if enough attempted fails the battery would lose the voltage stored and prevent the car from starting. Try and jump the car with jumper cables... With a fully charged battery and a dead alternator the car will still run (for a limited time).

Most local stores (autozone, advance, etc.) will test an alternator for free...