Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Loss of power after changing timing belt

Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power after changing timing belt

I am having 1995 integra gsr
My car was sitting for about 2 month. Since during the cold weather, i am not able to replace my timing belt. And today i was replace my timing belt. I find out that the exhaust and intake cam gear are not facing up together. The intake cam is a little bit more to the left side, and the exhaust cam gear is exactly facing up. ( I want to know when I turn the pulley bolt and the exhaust and intake camshaft will be the same when on the cylinder 1) and i just turn the intake cam without the timing belt on to turn the (up) to the up TDC. after i push everything on,, i start my car, since i didnt start for a long time, the battery going bad. When i start my car, i run couple minuses wait unit the temperature go in the natural, i try to step on the gas, and lack of power. the feel like the gas is delay or something. When i push in the 1 gear to go front, i dont even can move my car, just like didnt have power to go. Just like I push the gas the idle is not go up. But after that few second, it operate normal, but after few second is going bad again. I want to know what happen with that thing, it is because of the cam gear cause loss of power or the fuel system problem. Or because of the old gasoline. Or the timing problem? I am not sure about it.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Loss of power after changing timing belt

Your timing is most likely not correct.

Turn the crank, by hand tools, counter clockwise to TDC. Check that the cam arrows say UP. If they don't, turn the crank another 360 degrees counter clockwise till it hits TDC.

The UP marks get you in the ball park. But they don't time the motor.

Look to see if the two small hatch marks on the cam gears are directly facing each other.

If they're not facing each other with the crank at TDC, your timing is off.

At that point, turn your crank whichever way to get the cam hatches lined up 100%.
Then lock the cams, undo the belt tension, and remove the belt. Then move the crank to TDC (rotate it whichever way it needs). Then put the belt back on and do the tension procedure.

Go thru a couple of counterclockwise rotations by hand and keep checking cam timing at TDC.

REMEMBER THAT THE CAMS WILL ONLY LINE UP ONE TIME FOR EVERY 2 CRANK ROTATIONS.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Your timing is most likely not correct.

Turn the crank, by hand tools, counter clockwise to TDC. Check that the cam arrows say UP. If they don't, turn the crank another 360 degrees counter clockwise till it hits TDC.

The UP marks get you in the ball park. But they don't time the motor.

Look to see if the two small hatch marks on the cam gears are directly facing each other.

If they're not facing each other with the crank at TDC, your timing is off.

At that point, turn your crank whichever way to get the cam hatches lined up 100%.
Then lock the cams, undo the belt tension, and remove the belt. Then move the crank to TDC (rotate it whichever way it needs). Then put the belt back on and do the tension procedure.

Go thru a couple of counterclockwise rotations by hand and keep checking cam timing at TDC.

REMEMBER THAT THE CAMS WILL ONLY LINE UP ONE TIME FOR EVERY 2 CRANK ROTATIONS.

When you look at the picture that show what happen for me right now.

1. Basically, i replace my timing belt, and i adjust to the TDC mark before i took out the old timing belt
2. After, i replace the water pump, everything. I try to push my new timing belt back
3. i think i accidentally move the intake cam gear
4. and i just turn the intake cam gear back to the TDC up mark for few time.
5. the problem is, when i turn the exhaust cam gear, to each side, that align correctly
6. For the Intake cam, is not align correctly.
7. because when i rotate the exhaust cam gear that the gear will have "pop" sound to the each side and i check it is facing each side correctly
8. for the intake cam, when i rotate it that the gear have the "pop" sound as well, but the "up" arrow is not horizontal or vertical. Just the picture below

When i adjust the exhaust cam to the "up" mark to number 1 cylinder, and the intake cam is not exactly facing up.

The problem is how can i adjust the intake cam back?

What i did
1. I just rotate the intake cam slowly until the "up" mark facing up, but without the "pop" sound on it.

I dont know how to turn the intake cam gear back to the TDC. Its i can just only rotate the intake gear without the timing belt? also, i am not sure did i just only turn the intake gear without the cam or not. its so weird when i turn.

I am looking for some picture to see how to do it or a process that i can do. i miss my tag so much. please help. this is my first time to do that kind of repair.

Also, i didnt see the mark on the crankshaft pulley. i just turn the pulley key facing top. it that correct?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please help
Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what it looks like in the picture your drew your cams are not lined up correctly. What I did when I replaced my headgasket recently I lined up the crank to the oil pump mark placing the block to TDC. Then b4 putting on the timing belt I adjusted the cams with a 12mm wrench making sure that they were both lined up. I knew they were lined up correctly because the holes on the cams lined up with the holes in the head. Also the timing belt slid right on. B4 I had the timing off like half a tooth on the exhaust side and it was a ***** trying to put the timing belt on. Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Theres a cam gear tool to help keep the cam gears at tdc to keep them from moving when you install the timing belt search ebay for it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-B16-B18-VTec-Cam-Gear-Lock-Timing-Belt-Installation-Tool-CNC-/191133374764?hash=item2c806fd92c&item=191133374764&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 AM
I'm Huge In Japan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdwinCheng
I find out that the exhaust and intake cam gear are not facing up together .... it is because of the cam gear cause loss of power
looks like you answered your own question when you were asking it.
you skipped a tooth. pull off the belt and do it again.